Bad officiating

sgt221

Dyer county turned the ball over on bolivar's 20 yard line with a 5 point lead and 45 seconds left in the game. Then bolivar got called for holding and were moved back to the ten. Then they went 90 yards on the next play for the game winning td. How did the officials steal the game?

Btw if dyer co would have gotten into the victory formation and kneeled the ball then they wouldn't have turned it over with less than a minute to go.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dyer county turned the ball over on bolivar's 20 yard line with a 5 point lead and 45 seconds left in the game. Then bolivar got called for holding and were moved back to the ten. Then they went 90 yards on the next play for the game winning td. How did the officials steal the game?

Btw if dyer co would have gotten into the victory formation and kneeled the ball then they wouldn't have turned it over with less than a minute to go.

DC did Not turn the ball over on Bolivars 20..run play into line with all players from both teams still standing(none on ground) with refs whistling ball dead twice ..one of Bolivars players came out with ball ( no turnover mind you =play whislted dead) , refs gave possession to Bolivar otherwise DC runs clock out ..1st play Bolivar play action pass to left outside , running ball into endzone..duiring run refs threw 2 flags on Bolivar for block in the back (correct calls ) then picked em up ..THATS STEALING game from DC !! Home Cooking

Edited by DHSFB64

Actually if you watch the film, dc player was stripped of the ball and possession had changed before the play was blown dead. Had the officials not blown it dead bolivar would have scored on that play.

Also the two flags at the end were not both on bolivar. One of them was on dyer county and they were both dead ball fouls. The late hit by bolivar occurred 30 yards behind the play and the officials ruled it a dead ball foul because the runner was already in the end zone. The fouls on dc was unsportsmanlike conduct for players dancing in the middle of the field and taunting bolivars sideline.

Also if you give up 6 tds. Don't blame it on the officials if you lose

Actually if you watch the film, dc player was stripped of the ball and possession had changed before the play was blown dead. Had the officials not blown it dead bolivar would have scored on that play.

Also the two flags at the end were not both on bolivar. One of them was on dyer county and they were both dead ball fouls. The late hit by bolivar occurred 30 yards behind the play and the officials ruled it a dead ball foul because the runner was already in the end zone. The fouls on dc was unsportsmanlike conduct for players dancing in the middle of the field and taunting bolivars sideline.

Also if you give up 6 tds. Don't blame it on the officials if you lose

Actually I was at the game heard whistles blowing ball dead with DC runbner in control of ball.All players still stading upright..then blown dead again after Bolivar player came out from sqummish with ball .. Bolivars two (2) late hits were at 30 yd line ,runner Was Not in end zone . correct you give up 6 tds you should not win however high scoring games are the norm these days but you should Not have it stolen by refs..No DC players were taunting (fathom call ) = home cooking Lets move on doesnt matter to either team with both most likely out of playoffs..could be a boost to Bolivar tho

I agree that officials have a tough job. But, I do think the issue of sideline warnings is way too overcooked. Unless there is a problem or the chain crew complains, then I don't see the issue. One rule in particular that I would like to see more attention paid to is the chop block. We're talking about something that could end a kids career with a torn ACL, but it hardly ever gets called. Throw the yardage out the window, I don't care about that...let's keep the kids safe.

I don't post on here much, as you can tell by my screen name I would usually be fighting a losing battle.

The sidelines are a point of emphasis from the TSSAA and local associations. By rule, only 3 coaches are allowed in the coaches box during a dead ball period. Once the ball becomes live no one is allowed in the coaches box. The first flag for violation here is a warning. Second is 5 yards and third is 15. Fourth would be 15 more and the head coach would be gone.

If an officials runs into anyone in the box during a live play, it is 15 yards.

Also, there was a lawsuit against the officials in Texas where there was an injury on the sidelines. I believe the basis of the lawsuit was that the officials had not been telling the coaches to get back.

Ascendotuum,

You are so incorrect about "if they were better, they would be working at the next level". There are plenty of high school refs that can call at next level and there are so many at the next level that don't need to be there. The reason a lot of high school officials don't call at the next level is time constraints! It takes up a ton of time to be a college or pro official. As far as regular Joe's wanting to pick up a few extra bucks is correct in some cases but in so many more cases high school official call because they love the game. If you break down the time away on Friday nights and the travel, etc. a high school official does not make much money. For the people who complain about officiating, please try it just once. I guarantee you will not complain again!

Here is a typical Friday night breakdown:

Crew meets between 5-5:30 pm.

Get to game site between 5:30-6

Pre-game and get dressed from the time you arrive until you go on the field 30 minutes before game

Games normally start at 7:30.

Game is usually over between 9:45-10:00

Typically get back to meeting place between 10:30 and 11.

We are looking at approx. 6 hours not including drive time to the meeting site.

The fees for Friday night games are - $85 on the field and $60 for the ECO.

Approx. $14/hour for on the field and $10/hour for the ECO.

Here is a typical Friday night breakdown:

Crew meets between 5-5:30 pm.

Get to game site between 5:30-6

Pre-game and get dressed from the time you arrive until you go on the field 30 minutes before game

Games normally start at 7:30.

Game is usually over between 9:45-10:00

Typically get back to meeting place between 10:30 and 11.

We are looking at approx. 6 hours not including drive time to the meeting site.

The fees for Friday night games are - $85 on the field and $60 for the ECO.

Approx. $14/hour for on the field and $10/hour for the ECO.

Thanks for the post! I have always wondered how much a high school referee makes.

Having been involved in football for several years, I have seen very few bad officials. In the old days, there were a few "homers" but all in all most were decent. Tuesday night at a Mid School game I saw a ref wave off one face mask, not call the next one and skip a horse collar because the tackler didn't pull him hard. Not to mention the jersey pulling on offense. At this level is were I have witnessed a drop in performance. And it has gotten worse every year. Any comments?

Having been involved in football for several years, I have seen very few bad officials. In the old days, there were a few "homers" but all in all most were decent. Tuesday night at a Mid School game I saw a ref wave off one face mask, not call the next one and skip a horse collar because the tackler didn't pull him hard. Not to mention the jersey pulling on offense. At this level is were I have witnessed a drop in performance. And it has gotten worse every year. Any comments?

-Not sure why a facemask call would be waved off, unless someone CLEARLY saw that players mask or helmet opening wasn't grabbed.

-As far as "the next one" not being called, there is no way to know whether is was even seen or not

-Here is the definition of horse collar (9-4-3k) grab in the inside back or side collar of the shoulder pads or jersey of the runner and subsequently pull that opponent to the ground.

If the player grabbed falls forward you won't get the horse collar call. If another player is involved in the tackle you're probably not going to get the horse collar call.

-Jersey pulling on offense, you are going to see this much better from the stands or standing still on the sidelines. If an official see it and it is near the point of attack, it should be called as holing.

-As far as performance as the middle school game. Newer officials have to learn somewhere. On most JV and below crews you are going to have at least a couple of the officials that are newer to officiating. You are going to learn at the middle school, JV, and freshman level. You would much rather have the calls you mentioned missed at these levels than you would on a Friday night. Granted some are going to get missed on Fridays too, that is the nature of the beast. Also notice that lots of times when you are at a JV or lower game you will usually only have 4 officials. About the only time we go with 5 is when we have a JV/freshman double header