Curious about Maryville

UPSGregg

Posted by UPSGregg:

I guess what I really wanted to know is how Maryville keeps "reloading" year after year. Like what kind of a "feeder program" is their in Maryville? Do all the Maryville teams grow up playing together on the same team all the way up to high school? I know the feeder program here in Clarksville is the worst. Actually, we didn't even have one in my days. I'm not sure they do now. I played for Clarksville High and we had all played against each other in little league ball or at least heard of each other. This is a military town too so you might play with a guy one year then next year, or sooner, he'll be gone because his dad got shipped off to another base or country. We've had very few football teams in this town (at any school) over the past 30 years and the few we've had were due to getting great coaches for a brief time like Rick Butler in the 95, 96 season at Northeast High. I heard he coaches at Maryville College now. What is Maryville's secret?

Rick Butler is now the co-offensive coordinator qb/rb coach at Sewanee.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caligula

On the West side you have the Southerners(9-10) and the Rebs(11-12)

The East side you have the Cubs (9-10) Bears (11-12)

The in the county you have Fairview, Lanier, Walland, Townsend, Alcoa, and so on. The teams at the top are in the city. You have these kids playing hard in their leagues, they are dead seroius high school players and adults still go to these games and get into them. Man people still brag about their childhood teams, its big business. Then these kids go to games on Friday night and want to be there one day. Middle school is pretty big too.

This cannot happen, but would you as Maryville supporters like to see how the Rebs stack up against a 5A power like Riverdale or against a DII AAA team like Brentwood Academy?

Would Riverdale's size or BA's private status cause you to be against playing them? I'm not trying to start trouble, just interested in opinions.

Posted by gobigred:

This cannot happen, but would you as Maryville supporters like to see how the Rebs stack up against a 5A power like Riverdale or against a DII AAA team like Brentwood Academy?

Would Riverdale's size or BA's private status cause you to be against playing them? I'm not trying to start trouble, just interested in opinions.

I would like to see it. there would be no playoff ramifications. and like they say you are only as good as your competition. it would be a ways to travel but we played smyrna for a couple of years in the late 90's and it would not be much further than that.

Guest caligula

The under 25 pop. really wouldn't care, but the older people would be heart broken if Maryville didnt play Alcoa, Heritage, and WB. Riverdale and BA don't scare us.

I think maryville would stack up well against the top 5A teams and private schools, and I certainly think that they would be able to compete - Maryville whooped usedtabe 5A defending champ redbank pretty good - But then again, maryvilles big on tradition. I think that most people would support it though, and it would be a better preparation for playoffs than the other 5A teams we play (William Blount and Heritage). :rolleyes:

Posted by MaryvilleRebels:

Feeder programs are great in middle school and elementary all every boy talks about on Friday is their brother playing for the Rebels or someone they know playing for the Rebels and how they are going to be just like them. We start them young and get the full potential out of them during highschool! In Clarksville they hardly have anything, do they have a baseball program now, like little league? I remember when I lived there like 9-10 years ago, maybe less, their baseball fields and little league were terrible to non-exisitent. I was used to Murfreesboro with high class fields and moved to Clarksville and couldn't take it, we moved before baseball season started! =o) TO answer your question...yes feeder programs are priority. Also we don't really "reload" we don't have a huge amount of great players, we just know how to play like a team!

No we don't have feeder programs for ANY sport here. The middle schools have football teams but basically those are a step above from Pop Warner League with the names of the schools slapped on the back of the jerseys. Baseball and soccer has the "travel" or "select" teams but are so political its pathtetic. Its obvious when only one school out of the six has a good team. Its embarrasing, and a shame, that such a nice city like Clarksville has crappy fields and athletic programs cause this town has so many good athletes but have to wait till they get to high school to really develope.