POWELL @ HARDIN VALLEY

PhatCat

I told you guys Hardin Valley was much improved! I know they lost, but they didnt get "blown out" :thumb:

I have to say, I was very impressed by Hardin Valley. They are a much improved team and VERY well coached. This game was 14-3 after 3 quarters. HVA had only a couple of penalties and their tackling was excellent throughout the entire game. Their only turnovers came in the 4th quarter (1 fumble and 1 int). Powell didn't turn the ball over, but they had a ton of costly penalties (as many as the AC game).

Two major difference makers in this game - Dy'shawn Mobley and the Powell defensive unit. While HVA did a great job of tackling Mobley, he had a couple of very nice runs, and the Hawks didn't have their own answer for him.

Powell's defense looked solid. HVA couldn't get anything going on the ground between the tackles, but it was obvious that the HVA coaching staff recognized that they had to get their QB out of the pocket to avoid the Powell rush. Rolling him out worked to perfection for most of the night. Kudos to the Powell defense though. HVA drove down the field on their opening drive, burning 7 minutes and kicking a field goal. That would be the last time they drove across the Powell 30.

HVA's defensive gameplan looked pretty obvious. They put 8 guys in the box, and it prevented Powell from running between the tackles. I was surprised that Powell didn't throw more swing passes or toss sweeps, because when they did, they absolutely gashed HVA.

I think that both Karns and HVA found a way to slow down the Panthers, so it will be interesting to see how Powell responds in the coming weeks. Still, this is the best defensive unit that Powell has had in a VERY long time.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I was very impressed by Hardin Valley. They are a much improved team and VERY well coached. This game was 14-3 after 3 quarters. HVA had only a couple of penalties and their tackling was excellent throughout the entire game. Their only turnovers came in the 4th quarter (1 fumble and 1 int). Powell didn't turn the ball over, but they had a ton of costly penalties (as many as the AC game).

Two major difference makers in this game - Dy'shawn Mobley and the Powell defensive unit. While HVA did a great job of tackling Mobley, he had a couple of very nice runs, and the Hawks didn't have their own answer for him.

Powell's defense looked solid. HVA couldn't get anything going on the ground between the tackles, but it was obvious that the HVA coaching staff recognized that they had to get their QB out of the pocket to avoid the Powell rush. Rolling him out worked to perfection for most of the night. Kudos to the Powell defense though. HVA drove down the field on their opening drive, burning 7 minutes and kicking a field goal. That would be the last time they drove across the Powell 30.

HVA's defensive gameplan looked pretty obvious. They put 8 guys in the box, and it prevented Powell from running between the tackles. I was surprised that Powell didn't throw more swing passes or toss sweeps, because when they did, they absolutely gashed HVA.

I think that both Karns and HVA found a way to slow down the Panthers, so it will be interesting to see how Powell responds in the coming weeks. Still, this is the best defensive unit that Powell has had in a VERY long time.

Powell's defense is very impressive! Mobley is very impressive!