Chew-ooga Time

MVM

I would re-word that Sequatchie 'won' their Signal Mt game due to forfeit by SM...and I assume that Sequatchie, in addition ND, has a forfeit loss to CCS, since they are not playing both these teams this season ? Giving them the 1-2 record...

Thursday should be pretty exciting....but the loser of the CCS-ND match may actually come out a better deal, since they would face Sequatchie in the first round...

Still would like to see an official statement regarding the SM ineligible player-forfeits though before we over think this...

D

There seems to be a lot of speculation going on here about a forfeit and I’m not sure there is any merit to it. I talked to someone very close to the SM program I can say there was no mention of a forfeit. I can also say they said we couldn’t finish any worse than second in the district after beating CCS. I think this person would know exactly where we stand. Sure they could be wrong but I would be really surprised.

There seems to be a lot of speculation going on here about a forfeit and I’m not sure there is any merit to it. I talked to someone very close to the SM program I can say there was no mention of a forfeit. I can also say they said we couldn’t finish any worse than second in the district after beating CCS. I think this person would know exactly where we stand. Sure they could be wrong but I would be really surprised.

SMEAGLE- I have talked to a player's parent of SM just last week and there is indeed speculation regarding that an ex-ND player (as specific as I will get), now at SM, played in varsity games at the beginning of the season for SM (included Sequatchie game)...and that paperwork regarding her eligibility is in question,(apparently date of last varsity game at ND is in question) since she played in a varsity game for ND late in the state playoffs...My understanding is that there is still debate going on with the state...

D

We are hearing different things - in fact, just spoke to someone involved and all games the player in question played in are forfeits, per him per TSSAA official.

It's a shame it came to this and Signal Mountain should be congratulated on a big, big win last night.

Tournament should be a lot of fun.

Me too..I was thinking at least 3-0 Baylor....But the tie sweetens the loss to GPS for us Irish..GPS played a very conservative-possession game against Notre Dame..I'd be curious if they just hunkered down defensively against Baylor...(probably pretty good strategy)...or is Baylor vulnerable this year ? (Not from their record though..for sure)

D

Here's the Math:

(Good Defense + Great Goalkeeping) * Satisfied to Tie = Anybody is vulnerable

"Satisfied to Tie" in not an insult. It may be the right strategy, especially if 1 point is the difference between making playoffs or not. In this game, there was no way GPS was scoring against Baylor unless an absolute fluke goal occured. Baylor came into the game giving up 1 goal in 10 games. Baylor has a very solid keeper, but on top of that, no one is even getting shots on her. TFP article was right on the money.

It will be interesting come playoff time to see if Baylor can break through with a State Championship after not getting it done the last few years despite essentially being undefeated going in. In playoffs, teams would be wise to learn from what GPS did and go for 0-0 tie and take their chance in PKs. Of Course, it's hard to teach supurb goalkeeping (Simone)

Here's the Math:

(Good Defense + Great Goalkeeping) * Satisfied to Tie = Anybody is vulnerable

"Satisfied to Tie" in not an insult. It may be the right strategy, especially if 1 point is the difference between making playoffs or not. In this game, there was no way GPS was scoring against Baylor unless an absolute fluke goal occured. Baylor came into the game giving up 1 goal in 10 games. Baylor has a very solid keeper, but on top of that, no one is even getting shots on her. TFP article was right on the money.

It will be interesting come playoff time to see if Baylor can break through with a State Championship after not getting it done the last few years despite essentially being undefeated going in. In playoffs, teams would be wise to learn from what GPS did and go for 0-0 tie and take their chance in PKs. Of Course, it's hard to teach supurb goalkeeping (Simone)

I don't understand anyone that is "satisfied to tie." I would rather see a team try their hardest to win and go down in flames than make no effort. It sends a horrible message. Where in your life now are you ever able to tie? You win a bid/job/contract or you don't.

I don't understand anyone that is "satisfied to tie." I would rather see a team try their hardest to win and go down in flames than make no effort. It sends a horrible message. Where in your life now are you ever able to tie? You win a bid/job/contract or you don't.

Time until Canes or Cannon chime in on this:...10....9....8.....7....

Need to look long term, not just one game. The WIN they are after is PLAYOFFS. So they are learning a lesson in how to achieve long term goals. What if it was the last game of the season and a tie would get them in playoffs? Do you play for the win when if doing so drastically decreases your chance to get the one point you need? Don't think so. Think of it as the Warren Buffet approach to a soccer season. BTW, I hate watching games like this. But I respect what GPS was able to do. Their girls were thrilled that they went in with a plan, executed it, and got the result they wanted. That's a great lesson.

Edited by FutbalFan

Me too..I was thinking at least 3-0 Baylor....But the tie sweetens the loss to GPS for us Irish..GPS played a very conservative-possession game against Notre Dame..I'd be curious if they just hunkered down defensively against Baylor...(probably pretty good strategy)...or is Baylor vulnerable this year ? (Not from their record though..for sure)

D

Hmmmm...That's why I have Baylor #1 and GPS #2. :ph34r:

SMEAGLE- I have talked to a player's parent of SM just last week and there is indeed speculation regarding that an ex-ND player (as specific as I will get), now at SM, played in varsity games at the beginning of the season for SM (included Sequatchie game)...and that paperwork regarding her eligibility is in question,(apparently date of last varsity game at ND is in question) since she played in a varsity game for ND late in the state playoffs...My understanding is that there is still debate going on with the state...

D

Ok you seem to have a lot of knowledge about this and your response raises a few questions/statements.

1st, when a student transfers the Athletic Director from the previous school fills in the last participation date. If indeed this girl transferred from ND to SM it would mean the ND Athletic Director gave the wrong last date. (funny isn’t it).

2nd, would the TSSAA really allow one school to intentionally harm another school? Form the rules it looks like they might by saying if there is an accidental playing of an ineligible student. Come on that is such a broad statement it’s ridiculous to even have in the rules. If what you are saying is true and this player played into the playoffs and SM was given an incorrect last participation date by the AD from ND then I assume that falls into accidental. What a joke.

3rd, If this is true here is what the rule says. “In vacating wins, each victory is treated as though the game were not played. Opponents still count actual outcomes†If this is the case wouldn’t that mean SM wouldn’t record the win and SC would still have to count the lose. SM would be 1-1 and SC would be 1-2 is this right?

Bottom line is I haven’t been able to verify but I do know that the AD from the students’ former school puts down the last participation date. If this is true it would be unfortunate that AD of the former school would do something like this. If I were making the argument it would be easy to say this was intentional as ND has lost over 100 students in the past couple of years and the new high school on SM is a big reason along with EH.