Stewart County vs Waverly

Stewart County took a huge step towards qualifying for the TSSAA State Playoffs over the course of these last 3 games. They took care of business and survived thrillers against Creek Wood (9-6), Montgomery Central (20-14), and Waverly Central (16-8). I would expect the Rebels to rest their guys who are "banged up" against Parsons-Riverside this upcoming week and gear up for Harpeth in the season finale before their opening round playoff game.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would disagree. the officials last night were not very good. Having said that let me also say that for several years now football officiating in Western Middle Tennessee has been very very bad. I do not believe there was intentional cheating, just inability to call a proper game. There were bad calls for both teams. However, I think it is valid to say that the calls that were blown definitely hurt Waverly more. The pass interference penalty against number 3 was bizarre, a great effort by Will while being grabbed by the jersey by the defender and it is called offensive pass interference. This would have gotten the Tigers out from the shadow of their own end zone and a safety would not have happened. The personal foul against #55 while diving for a fumble was a bad call that would have put Stewart in a deep hole on third down. (I really feel the head referee had become angered by all the complaining of poor calls and simply over reacted based on the anger with which he threw the flag down) and finally the touchdown run by Stewart county saw a blantant block in the back to spring the runner. The side judge simply swallowed his flag, but he refused to call anything all night, again I do not think it was cheating just lack of ability of the officials. In a game that is this close blown calls are going to sway things and last night that happened. I do feel having watched several of these officials before that they are in over their head and should be sidelined for a while, but I know that will not happen. Finally, PTC, now for you to say that you thought it was a well called game, I do not believe that. In your coaching days I believe you would have been more than a little upset with last night officiating ( as would I) as matter of fact I think I have witnessed some of that. LOL

Well said!!

TRUE .ENOUGH SAID.YOU WILL NEVER CONVINCE PAPPATIGRESS OF ANYTHING. EVEN HIS OWN PEOPLE THINK HE IS A CRYBABY.AND YES RICKY I TALK TO PEOPLE IN WAVERLY ALMOST DAILY.

You didn't make them sit out in the bleachers to broadcast the game did you now Mike? Sorry to hear your son had a shoulder injury and hope he gets well in time for the playoffs.

Does anybody have the standing for the district and the remaining games left?

1.) Camden Central: 9-0 (5-0)

2.) Creek Wood: 3-5 (3-1)

3.) Stewart County: 5-3 (3-2)

4.) Cheatham County: 4-4 (2-2)

5.) Montgomery Central: 4-4 (1-3)

5.) Harpeth: 2-6 (1-3)

7.) Waverly Central: 3-5 (0-4)

Week 9

Camden Central at Creek Wood

Cheatham County at Waverly Central

Montgomery Central at Harpeth

Parsons-Riverside at Stewart County

AFTER THIS WEEK I WILL POST THE TEAM-BY-TEAM SCENARIOS BUT FOR THE MOMENT THIS DISTRICT APPEARS CAPABLE OF SENDING 5 OF IT'S TEAMS TO THE TSSAA STATE PLAYOFFS IN A FEW WEEKS :thumb:

I really don't know what to say in that I did not make the trip. At the risk of upsetting some folks Stewart County has a reputation. For anyone wanting to say it's because I am in Humphreys County that is not the case. I had heard stories for years even before coming to Humphreys County.

The thing about not seeing things with your own eyes is that you can develop a biased opinion based on one side of the argument. However, my interactions with the school have not changed my opinion. Granted, Coach Holliday has always been courteous and professional with me and I am appreciative of that. I will say that I have been surprised at some of the things I have personally seen as well as heard from others outside of the community that I have plenty of respect for.

I chose not to go to the game this past Friday night. I have a family to watch out for and have to protect them from things that I do not condone. I am disappointed if it is true that fans waited for players and families of WCHS to leave the facility with a one fingered salute waiting for them. Before anyone asks how I would feel if that happened to visiting fans at WCHS I would be even more disappointed.

I hope it is a small minority that are causing this stereotype to follow the program. The programs exist with a goal of winning games but there are life lessons more important than football that we need to be teaching these kids.

well as a matter of fact i think the game was called fair.the head referee has been officiating for close to 40 years and actually is the assigning officer for our association.were there missed calls ?yes there were on both sides.did the game get handed to the rebels i think not.all this talk of cheating takes away from the effort that both sides gave in this game.good luck to the tigers the rest of the way.i am still for you except when you play the rebels.

[/quote

I think a big part of the problem lies in your own comments. The Head Referee has been calling too long and could not keep up with the game. We see this on most friday nights. Because he is the head of an association does not mean is he is competent any longer. But, he is not alone, overall the quality of officiating is bad. Now again, I do not feel there was cheating taking place, just a really bad officiating crew that made several bad calls. Did it influence the outcome of the game, yes i think so, did it cost Waverly the game, no they had the ball on the 5 and would have scored if the ball was not fumbled. So was the game called fair, well if fair means these men were not cheating, then I agree it was called fair. If fair means a well called game, then no I cannot agree this was one of the poorest called games I have seen this year, in a year where almost every game has been poorly called. I will still argue that the blown calls hurt Waverly more than they hurt Stewart County, but that happens in a lot of games.

I really don't know what to say in that I did not make the trip. At the risk of upsetting some folks Stewart County has a reputation. For anyone wanting to say it's because I am in Humphreys County that is not the case. I had heard stories for years even before coming to Humphreys County.

The thing about not seeing things with your own eyes is that you can develop a biased opinion based on one side of the argument. However, my interactions with the school have not changed my opinion. Granted, Coach Holliday has always been courteous and professional with me and I am appreciative of that. I will say that I have been surprised at some of the things I have personally seen as well as heard from others outside of the community that I have plenty of respect for.

I chose not to go to the game this past Friday night. I have a family to watch out for and have to protect them from things that I do not condone. I am disappointed if it is true that fans waited for players and families of WCHS to leave the facility with a one fingered salute waiting for them. Before anyone asks how I would feel if that happened to visiting fans at WCHS I would be even more disappointed.

I hope it is a small minority that are causing this stereotype to follow the program. The programs exist with a goal of winning games but there are life lessons more important than football that we need to be teaching these kids.

I do not know who told you that ridiculous story about a one finger salute but it never happened. Could it be that one person saw something like that and embellished the story to make it the whole SC crowd? What is it you think your family would have seen that you felt you had to protect them??

I have lived in Stewart county all of my life and I really wouldn't want to go anywhere else. You are basing your opinion of a whole community and its people on rumors and lies. How would you feel if I said I didn't want my child to play football in Waverly because I've "heard" it's the meth capital of the world? Don't bash my community over rumors and innuendo and I won't bash yours.

As for the game Friday night...it was a hard fought game on both sides, one side was going to win and it just happened to be SC. Who knows maybe next year it will be Waverly.

How would you feel if I said I didn't want my child to play football in Waverly because I've "heard" it's the meth capital of the world?

The key difference between your scenario and my scenario is that your scenario plays no impact on the game itself or anything surrounding the game. Go back over what I wrote and you will see that I wrote no absolutes. I wrote that I hoped the things that I heard did not happen. However, from my past experiences that I have seen in person I opted not to go. If someone will pull some of the stunts I have seen on the road I simply do not care to find out what would happen in their own place.

At the end of the day you just do not build a stereotype, especially in the state of Tennessee. Tennessee folks are good people and always willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Keep doing what you are doing to contribute to the good for your community and program.

The key difference between your scenario and my scenario is that your scenario plays no impact on the game itself or anything surrounding the game. Go back over what I wrote and you will see that I wrote no absolutes. I wrote that I hoped the things that I heard did not happen. However, from my past experiences that I have seen in person I opted not to go. If someone will pull some of the stunts I have seen on the road I simply do not care to find out what would happen in their own place.

At the end of the day you just do not build a stereotype, especially in the state of Tennessee. Tennessee folks are good people and always willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Keep doing what you are doing to contribute to the good for your community and program.

Why did you choose to reply to only a very small portion of my reply. You do realize by doing so that my statement can and will be taken out of context.