Stewart County vs Waverly

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know what to say in that I did not make the trip. At the risk of upsetting some folks Stewart County has a reputation. For anyone wanting to say it's because I am in Humphreys County that is not the case. I had heard stories for years even before coming to Humphreys County.

The thing about not seeing things with your own eyes is that you can develop a biased opinion based on one side of the argument. However, my interactions with the school have not changed my opinion. Granted, Coach Holliday has always been courteous and professional with me and I am appreciative of that. I will say that I have been surprised at some of the things I have personally seen as well as heard from others outside of the community that I have plenty of respect for.

I chose not to go to the game this past Friday night. I have a family to watch out for and have to protect them from things that I do not condone. I am disappointed if it is true that fans waited for players and families of WCHS to leave the facility with a one fingered salute waiting for them. Before anyone asks how I would feel if that happened to visiting fans at WCHS I would be even more disappointed.

I hope it is a small minority that are causing this stereotype to follow the program. The programs exist with a goal of winning games but there are life lessons more important than football that we need to be teaching these kids.

This could be some of the most ridiculous posting I've ever read on Coacht...apparently (as big a high school sports fan as I am) I didn't realize how intimidating Stewart County is to its opponents. Living in a border county to Stewart, I've never seen a game in that stadium all though I've passed it on the way to many other games...Likewise..Waverly, it's been many years since I've seen a "meaningful" game there. I just had no idea that these two communities were so "volatile" and "intimidating"...here's hoping neither of you are ever fortunate enough to get invited to Orange Mound in Memphis to take on Melrose...although friendly...the atmosphere is EXTREMELY intimidating! As much as some of you like to stereotype, the "hypothetical game" probably would be a forfeit win for the home team!

here's hoping neither of you are ever fortunate enough to get invited to Orange Mound in Memphis to take on Melrose

Trust me when I say that I am well aware of the "West TN atmosphere". Although I am in middle Tennessee right now I grew up in west Tennessee and spent many a day and night at various venues. It is one thing for community pride and to "intimidate" with atmosphere. Go ahead and play your music, shoot fireworks, blow a train whistle or even run out on the field behind a team of motorcycles. Have fun. There are plenty of places I have no problem visitng in visiting attire. The fans are cordial and will have good conversation when you see them in town. It's another thing entirely to subject people to things that have nothing to do with the game itself. I guess Philly fans should be commended for holding up posters behind the SF dugout that read "fix your teeth" and "hippy trash"? Go ahead and build up a home field advantage. Just do it the right way.