6A Playoffs After week 9

mjuhb

You support Hogan's belief...this is a messed up system...#1 is overall victories..lets see how many teams are going to play the likes of Brentwood, Franklin, Riverdale, Maryville and etc the next two years with this system(they all will be playing each other)..nobody in their right mind. This system is flawed to the max without head to head as a criteria and #1 is overall victories.

I personally do not care about the "head to head" wins...I care about the best 32 in the field..WITH regards to each district being represented! I like the system....If anything needs to be changed..it's not the playoff format..it's the number of Classifications....8 is entirely too many!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. QBClubPrez ..I guess you think head to head doesn't matter at all in this world of football playoffs or home field advantage if you beat another team in your district, heck why even have districts any more..usually that is the number one criteria, but not with the TSSAA..its who you beat and no matter who it is. :popcorneater:

Who you beat means nothing, excepting getting you a W and closer to the post season.

so the t$$aa has the whole thing out now...and rutherford county has 5 teams in with Oakland and Smyrna and Seigle in quad 3 and riverdale and blackman in quad 2!

Interesting, so much for the East/West philosophy they have used in the past (even before last year). Looks like too much finagling could be done here to get the matchups for more $$$, I don't like it, no matter where my Patriots end up. Although I think OHS is the best team in either Quad.

I have looked at it and looked at it. The only thing that comes readily to mind is an old military term starting with "CLUSTER"! <_<

The word that comes to my mind is Money!

Looks like there are 8 spots up for grabs after looking at this a little more tonight. Theses teams have clinched based upon having won 6 games or 5 with enough opponents with winning records to finish in the top of a tie-breaker:

Dobyns Bennett

Maryville

Oakland

Smyrna

Blackman

Dickson County

Whitehaven

Mt. Juliet

Brighton

Franklin

Riverdale

Bradley Central

Sevier County

McGavock

Arlington

Nashville Overton

Brentwood

Bearden

Collierville

Cookeville

Hardin Valley

Wooddale

Farragut

Science Hill

I personally do not care about the "head to head" wins...I care about the best 32 in the field..WITH regards to each district being represented! I like the system....If anything needs to be changed..it's not the playoff format..it's the number of Classifications....8 is entirely too many!

You're either being intentionally "thick" or you don't know what you are talking about. Example - 2 teams in the same district. Team 1 plays a very difficult schedule and loses 2 games but is undefeated in the district. Team 2 plays cupcakes all the way but loses to Team 1. Team 2 is seeded higher in the playoffs. Makes no sense from that perspective.

You're either being intentionally "thick" or you don't know what you are talking about. Example - 2 teams in the same district. Team 1 plays a very difficult schedule and loses 2 games but is undefeated in the district. Team 2 plays cupcakes all the way but loses to Team 1. Team 2 is seeded higher in the playoffs. Makes no sense from that perspective.

Typically.."cupcakes" do not have a winning record, do not win 50% of their games, nor have beaten teams with a winning record or have beaten teams who have won 50% of their games!..which, is what the current criteria reads as tie breakers.

Edited by QBClubPrez

Typically.."cupcakes" do not have a winning record, do not win 50% of their games, nor have beaten teams with a winning record or have beaten teams who have won 50% of their games!..which, is what the current criteria reads as tie breakers.

The tiebreakers don't mean squat in this situation because Team 2 played cupcakes and has a better overall record. In this scenario the District Champion doesn't mean anything.

Edited by TheDeCleater

Agreed, last year 3 way tie in 7AAA (team A beating team B, losing to team C in OT, team B losing to team A, beating team C in OT, and team C beating team A in OT, and losing to team B in OT). In their non-district schedules team A played Lincon Co (3-7), Ensworth (9-0), Brentwood(8-2), Chrisitan Co KY (finished 8-2) , and Independence (5-5 playoff team) non district losing only to Ensworth in OT, team B played Lincoln Co (3-7) Tullahoma (4-6), Brentwood (8-2), Cane Ridge (0-10), and Station Camp (3-7) beating all of them, team C played Lincoln Co (3-7), Antioch (3-7), Hendersoniville (6-4), Farragut (8-2), Cookeville (7-3) and lost to Hendersonville. Final standings, team B, team C, team A. Play off seedings team B #1 in quad 2, team C #4 in quad 2, and team A #6 in quad 2. That's right, an 8-2, 2 OT loss team, playing if not the toughest schedule in the state, one of the 2 or 3 toughest, coming out of that schedule with 2 OT loses, got seeded #6 out of 8 teams in a quadrant. Hopefully some of this will be fixed with TSSAA doing away with stupid rules like #1's in districts have to be seeded ahead of #2's in other districts. The biggest problem with the TSSAA and this football format is it assumes all districts, and all schedules are equal, which I think everyone is willing to admit is not the case, even TSSAA would admit that, so why do they ignore it on selection saturday?

"cupcakes" do not apply to the above situation, where overall wins places you higher in quad seedings. opponents winning % only comes into play if teams have the same number of wins.

Edited by randymc

The tiebreakers don't mean squat in this situation because Team 2 played cupcakes and has a better overall record. In this scenario the District Champion doesn't mean anything.

besides an automatic berth to the playoffs that might not be guaranteed if you were 4-6 against a really tough schedule, but 4-0 in your district.

besides an automatic berth to the playoffs that might not be guaranteed if you were 4-6 against a really tough schedule, but 4-0 in your district.

They need to just turn this over to you and David Limbaugh? to sort this stuff out. It's really hard to believe that the TSSAA (who I assume have a fair amount of intelligence) can't come up with something better than what we have.

They need to just turn this over to you and David Limbaugh? to sort this stuff out. It's really hard to believe that the TSSAA (who I assume have a fair amount of intelligence) can't come up with something better than what we have.

I would be all for a selection committee, like the NCAA basketball tournament, it would be a more fair way to do it (it works for NCAA), I would even be for picking teams in the A, AA, AAA, or AAAA so no appeared biases come out. Or even a BCS type formula that took several factors into account (record, schedule (remember when original BCS included this) and computer rankings), neither are without flaws though.

Edited by randymc

Mr. QBClubPrez ..I guess you think head to head doesn't matter at all in this world of football playoffs or home field advantage if you beat another team in your district, heck why even have districts any more..usually that is the number one criteria, but not with the TSSAA..its who you beat and no matter who it is. :popcorneater:

Well, your choice of words is poor here, it doesn't matter WHO you beat, just that you beat another team.

Well, lets put it this way guys...the present playoff formula is very flawed and Hogan believes it will be gone after the next two years or sooner.

Hogan Out

Just go to The Nashville Tennessean today and read

Critics say High School Playoffs still wrong

It's what I've been saying the past few days..it's just not right!!

Article is now listed on the front page of Coacht :thumb:

Edited by Hoganknows