THSSCA All Star Game

soccermom127

Exactly what record were you trying to break?

Elizabethton 8-0

Chuckey-Doak 10-0

Grainger 11-0

Dobyns-Bennett 8-1

Powell 7-1

Cumberland Gap 13-0

Chuckey-Doak 14-0

USJC 8-0

Berean Christian 10-1

McNairy Central 10-0

So am I to understand that it is a good player's fault that she happens to live/play in an area loaded with sub-par teams? It might help you to be more understanding if you knew what this player did in these matches.

Elizabethton 8-0 She scored 3

Chuckey-Doak 10-0 She scored 1

Grainger 11-0 She scored 3

Dobyns-Bennett 8-1 She scored 2

Powell 7-1 She scored 1

All above were regular season matches, with the top 3 being "regional/district" matches where player/team/coach have no say in schedule - or in quality of team. In each of those matches this particular player played significantly less that half the match. Don't think your implication that she "padded her stats on poor teams" exists - if her coach had left her in longer, she would have scored many more goals. The last 2 teams - DB has consistently been one of the leading AAA teams in East TN, and state wise, for many years - this year happened to be a downer - it happens in sports. As for Powell, it was a "close" match until their goalie sustained a match ending injury on the initial goal scored at the 15 minute mark on a collison with this particular player. Admittedly, the goalie's replacement was not much of a replacement - but by then this player had again been long gone from the match.

Below matches were all playoff matches - thus coach left her in longer in some of the matches. Should she be penalized for doing her best, even if the opponents are again sub-par? She has no role in who her team plays - she just plays.

Cumberland Gap 13-0 She scored 2 District/regional tournament

Chuckey-Doak 14-0 She scored 1 District/regional tournament

USJC 8-0 She scored 7 Regional finals

Berean Christian 10-1 She scored 5 Substate

McNairy Central 10-0 She scored 4 State quarter finals

To be fair, you should also consider some of her non-district/regional opponents, and her results there, before you pre-judge.

Farragut 2-3 She scored 1

CAK 2-1 She scored 2

Cleveland 2-0 She scored 1

Coffee County 5-0 She scored 3 (To be fair, I don't really know the quality of this team, but to also be fair to the player, she had no say in the choosing of this opponent - it was scheduled as part of the CCS Tournament.)

Knox Catholic 2-2 She scored 1

Boyd Buchanan 3-2 She scored 3 (Again, to be fair, I don't know much about this team; another CCS Tournament opponent)

CAK 1-2 She scored 1

If I sound defensive, I'm not trying to be. But some of the "holier than thou" attitudes, which in my opinion are clearly not justified, seem to set me off.

I'll be the first to admit that soccer in Tennessee is a long way from being where it should be, but should the players be penalized for the "stupid" decsions of the administrators running the sport? I don't think so. All they can do is go out and play.

Edited by scoop4612

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I to understand that it is a good player's fault that she happens to live/play in an area loaded with sub-par teams? It might help you to be more understanding if you knew what this player did in these matches.

Elizabethton 8-0 She scored 3

Chuckey-Doak 10-0 She scored 1

Grainger 11-0 She scored 3

Dobyns-Bennett 8-1 She scored 2

Powell 7-1 She scored 1

All above were regular season matches, with the top 3 being "regional/district" matches where player/team/coach have no say in schedule - or in quality of team. In each of those matches this particular player played significantly less that half the match. Don't think your implication that she "padded her stats on poor teams" exists - if her coach had left her in longer, she would have scored many more goals. The last 2 teams - DB has consistently been one of the leading AAA teams in East TN, and state wise, for many years - this year happened to be a downer - it happens in sports. As for Powell, it was a "close" match until their goalie sustained a match ending injury on the initial goal scored at the 15 minute mark on a collison with this particular player. Admittedly, the goalie's replacement was not much of a replacement - but by then this player had again been long gone from the match.

Below matches were all playoff matches - thus coach left her in longer in some of the matches. Should she be penalized for doing her best, even if the opponents are again sub-par? She has no role in who her team plays - she just plays.

Cumberland Gap 13-0 She scored 2 District/regional tournament

Chuckey-Doak 14-0 She scored 1 District/regional tournament

USJC 8-0 She scored 7 Regional finals

Berean Christian 10-1 She scored 5 Substate

McNairy Central 10-0 She scored 4 State quarter finals

To be fair, you should also consider some of her non-district/regional opponents, and her results there, before you pre-judge.

Farragut 2-3 She scored 1

CAK 2-1 She scored 2

Cleveland 2-0 She scored 1

Coffee County 5-0 She scored 3 (To be fair, I don't really know the quality of this team, but to also be fair to the player, she had no say in the choosing of this opponent - it was scheduled as part of the CCS Tournament.)

Knox Catholic 2-2 She scored 1

Boyd Buchanan 3-2 She scored 3 (Again, to be fair, I don't know much about this team; another CCS Tournament opponent)

CAK 1-2 She scored 1

If I sound defensive, I'm not trying to be. But some of the "holier than thou" attitudes, which in my opinion are clearly not justified, seem to set me off.

I'll be the first to admit that soccer in Tennessee is a long way from being where it should be, but should the players be penalized for the "stupid" decsions of the administrators running the sport? I don't think so. All they can do is go out and play.

Nope. Never said anything bad about this player or any other and won't. This topic has been put to bed years ago, or so it appeared. Because of the disparity and uneven level of play in Tennessee, bragging about this particular achievement is akin to bragging on being the world's best Amish auto mechanic. Be proud, tell a friend, tell your family but it's touchy subject on here.

Nope. Never said anything bad about this player or any other and won't. This topic has been put to bed years ago, or so it appeared. Because of the disparity and uneven level of play in Tennessee, bragging about this particular achievement is akin to bragging on being the world's best Amish auto mechanic. Be proud, tell a friend, tell your family but it's touchy subject on here.

Amen to RR! Don't know anything about Greeneville or their starting 11 seniors (hope they have some underclassmen for next year!) but the fact that the question was asking where the amazing 45 goals scored by 1 girl stood in comparison to other girls in the State was amusing! I know on our team, different girls scored a goal here and there but all that really mattered was whether THE TEAM scored. Our "non-scoring" defense was not too shabby either. Like RR, I would be proud of that goal scoring accomplishment. I just hope she was not one of the 11 seniors!!

I applaud your daughter and everyone else's who practice to be their best and work hard on match day. Given the current situation, individual performances should be rewarded but not as easily compared.

If there is anything worse than the situation is the absolute apathy to correct it.

Edited by Canesoverhere

Again, I am speaking from the guys season, but I would assume it was done the same way from the girls.

Coaches must be members of TACA (Tennessee Athletic Coaches Association). Coaches that are members get an e mail about 2 weeks before the deadline. Coaches then send in their nominations with bio's from the players. I believe players must fill out a short bio, too. They are adamant about the deadline, so if it isn't in by then, the player won't get on.

I know the THSSCA does a good job emphasizing this to their members (but, of course, one has to be a member in order to hear).

When I was coaching I was an active member of the NSCAA, the THSSCA, and TACA. This way, my players had the best chance to get nominated and win awards. For example, in order for your players to be nominated for all state, a coach must be a member of the THSSCA. In order to be nominated for any NSCAA national award, the same thing. You also got $1,000,000 in liability insurance if you were a member (which is a nice extra).

All of that to say, coaches, get involved. If you aren't, find out how you can be. That way, your players stand the best chance for the recognition they deserve.

I believe Big G to be on the money with his account. But I also know that many coaches collect their stipend and that is the end of it. I have been a long advocate for HS coaches having to meet a USSF or NSCAA license requirements, but TN is to backward to ever adapt such a policy. Parents would be surprised how many awards schools and players are eligible for if their coach belongs to the NSCAA. But then again, many coaches probably get enough of parents for the season, and as such, choose not to do more. We can see it in the coaches voting in the polls, very few vote or take the time to even join the state association. What a shame. I guess that is what is referred to leadership by example, and may be one more reason why TN gets so many cards at matches.

Bragging? Think you misunderstood my original question: “As an aside - where can one find who is/are the leading goal scorers in the state? Greeneville forward has 45 this season - where does that stand among state leaders?â€

Don’t think there is any bragging there – asking a simple question about statistical comparison. My background is baseball – a sport that keeps statistics on EVERYTHING. Once you get past the win/loss, that’s what it’s all about – statistics. Not sure it’s any different in football, basketball, etc. So am I to assume it is different in soccer. We are all about the wins and losses, but we are to ignore the statistics?

Admittedly, even after “following†the sport for almost 12 years, I still don’t understand many of the nuances of the sport (i.e., off-sides), but it would appear there are few statistical comparisons outside of goals, assists, shutouts (maybe non-referee acknowledged holding, or non-referee acknowledged player knockdowns – ok I am just venting). So . . . all I was doing was asking a simple question – no bragging involved, because quite frankly there is nothing to brag about – where can one see what other players in the state have done – are such statistics kept?

Edited by scoop4612

Amen to RR! Don't know anything about Greeneville or their starting 11 seniors (hope they have some underclassmen for next year!) but the fact that the question was asking where the amazing 45 goals scored by 1 girl stood in comparison to other girls in the State was amusing! I know on our team, different girls scored a goal here and there but all that really mattered was whether THE TEAM scored. Our "non-scoring" defense was not too shabby either. Like RR, I would be proud of that goal scoring accomplishment. I just hope she was not one of the 11 seniors!!

Not sure why the term "amazing" has been applied here – I don’t think I ever gave the indication that it was such – also not sure why my original question would be considered “amusing†– see my previous response.

I think for the most part our team was pretty much like yours – primary concern was the team winning – team’s only goal for the season was to bring home the state title – so I guess in that respect it could be considered a disappointing season. But having said that, those girls provided many moments of pure joy: our top 6 scorers were all seniors, scoring 110 of the team’s 138 goals – the team also had a pretty good defense (in my opinion), giving up only 18 goals in 24 matches, with no team ever scoring more than 3 goals against them (done by Farragut in the team’s first match of the season against a goalie playing in her first varsity match), and only 5 other teams (Knox Catholic, Boyd Buchanan, Bearden, Maryville, and CAK) scoring 2 goals against us.

. . . and yes the 45 goal scorer is a senior.

Edited by scoop4612

Bragging? Think you misunderstood my original question: “As an aside - where can one find who is/are the leading goal scorers in the state? Greeneville forward has 45 this season - where does that stand among state leaders?â€

Don’t think there is any bragging there – asking a simple question about statistical comparison. My background is baseball – a sport that keeps statistics on EVERYTHING. Once you get past the win/loss, that’s what it’s all about – statistics. Not sure it’s any different in football, basketball, etc. So am I to assume it is different in soccer. We are all about the wins and losses, but we are to ignore the statistics?

Admittedly, even after “following†the sport for almost 12 years, I still don’t understand many of the nuances of the sport (i.e., off-sides), but it would appear there are few statistical comparisons outside of goals, assists, shutouts (maybe non-referee acknowledged holding, or non-referee acknowledged player knockdowns – ok I am just venting). So . . . all I was doing was asking a simple question – no bragging involved, because quite frankly there is nothing to brag about – where can one see what other players in the state have done – are such statistics kept?

Fair enough. I introduced "bragging" into the conversation because usually - 9 out of 10 times - the poster asking such a question is a family member who knows the answer and is fishing. My apologies for assuming that was the case.....

Since you brought up baseball, I too come from a baseball background. You will understand then when I say goals scored and goals allowed (keeper stats) are almost worthless as a comparative stat in Tennessee. Next on the list would be batting average in Tenn high school. With daddies or mommies or team managers keeping the stats, who knows what gets ruled a hit. The only time I would raise an eyebrow upon reading a batting average is if it is really low, since everyone pads. ha

The All Star game was a great yesterday with the East beating the West 2 to 1. The girls really enjoyed getting to know each other and being able to play with girls that they have typically been playing against.

It was fun watching girls walking up to pick up uniforms being a little shy and then 4 hours later after the game was over, there were hugs and smiles. It was exciting to watch.

The East played a more organized game which helped them to get the win, but all of the girls on both teams worked hard and showed some great soccer skill. Tough to put girls together to play a cohesive game in a two hour period, but the coaches were able to get that accomplished. I believe that 17 girls were there for the East and 15 girls for the West.

Although there was controversy in how the players were nominated, etc....the game was a great success for those being able to participate. Many thanks to the THSSCA and TACA for putting this together and for Hendersonville for hosting the event.

Edited by soccermom127

i asked a local coach who is a member of taca, and he said he didnt get the email for nominations. to answer a fellow members post, most of the middle Tennessee area stats are online at the Tennessean's website. the address is http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/Nashville/leaders/Soccer/Varsity/Girls/2010/All/

having been there recently, it appears a girl from Fairview scored 45 goals to lead the midstate and it lists her as a sophomore. i also know that Fairview had a girl who was 2 assists shy of breaking the state record for assists in a season. neither made the all-star game as well, maybe because no one know about the team and it is not a traditional power.

the Tennessean does a great job of tracking stats and records of games. the problem is the coaches have to call in the scores and stats. in most sports that usually falls on the home team coach to call in scores and stats, but some coaches don't take the time or are mad if they lose and will not call in the results.

i asked a local coach who is a member of taca, and he said he didnt get the email for nominations. to answer a fellow members post, most of the middle Tennessee area stats are online at the Tennessean's website. the address is http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/Nashville/leaders/Soccer/Varsity/Girls/2010/All/

having been there recently, it appears a girl from Fairview scored 45 goals to lead the midstate and it lists her as a sophomore. i also know that Fairview had a girl who was 2 assists shy of breaking the state record for assists in a season. neither made the all-star game as well, maybe because no one know about the team and it is not a traditional power.

the Tennessean does a great job of tracking stats and records of games. the problem is the coaches have to call in the scores and stats. in most sports that usually falls on the home team coach to call in scores and stats, but some coaches don't take the time or are mad if they lose and will not call in the results.

It might have been the THSSCA instead of TACA.

Actually anyone can call in soccer stats/scores to the Tennessean - I know this for a fact :) - doesn't have to be the coach - thus I would question the accuracy on goals, assists, etc... as it would be the opinion of whoever called it in as to who the goal/assist was attributed to. It sure would be nice to have a central repository for all of these stats and have their source be that of the book keeper for each team. I smell an enhancement to CoachT's website :)

Announcements