Girls Wrestling...

SpeedKILLS

Has any young lady made it to the "state" wrestling in Tennessee? I saw a wrestler last year from Cookeville and she should have came close to making it.

thanks

Michael Morelan

Mike it seems like there was a girl from Cumberland Co. that made state a couple of years ago.Seems like she was a 103.

The girl from Cookville lost in the match that would have qualified her for the "state".

[Edited by sammyben on 2-2-03 10:26A]

[Edited by sammyben on 2-2-03 10:34A]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the people complaining about having to wrestle girls don't like it for fear of getting beat then they need to work harder in the practice room. It might actually help them when it isn't a girl they are wrestling.

Guest hagar2horrible

I AM A WRESTLING COACH IN EAST TN. AND I HAVE A 103 GIRL. NOW THIS YOUNG LADY NOT ONLY COMPETES WITH THE BOYS; SHE HAS SEVERAL PINS THIS HER FRESHMAN YEAR. SHE HAS IMPROVED STEADLY ALL SEASON AND I BELIEVE THAT SHE WILL BECOME A STATE QUALIFYER BEFORE SHE GRADUATES. SHE WRESTLES JUST LIKE THE BOYS, AND IS NOT AFRAID TO WRESTLE ANYONE. SO BEFORE YOU MISJUDGE GIRL WRESTLERS, UNDERSTAND THAT AN ATHLETE CAN COME IN ANY GENDER.

I was the assistant coach for Warren County when they qualified the first girl for TN state tournament. Her name is Andi Jones and she now wrestles for Missouri Valley. It was in the 96-97 season when she placed 4th in Region 5. She would have had a good showing at state if it were not for her draw. She had Matt McCarty in the first round and Shawn Weller (Baylor) in the second. That's some pretty tough competition, especially for a "girl." And yes, she was the homecoming queen and also played soccer.

As a former wrestler, and now the father of a wrestler (a female wrestler) I've got a few things to pass on. I did not like the idea of female wrestling at first, but after watching the girls in both practice and in tournaments around the state I've changed my mind. These girls are committed and put their all into this sport. They do the same drills as you males without the slacking or the wineing . They wrestle a technical match, not muscle strength. Many of you male wrestler need to take notes. Stop the wineing, stop the slacking, stop looking at your stats...and start to training hard everyday and make your weight or you'll be hearing the slap of the mat a short whistle and watch as a girl gets her hand raised.

[Edited by obeyriver on 2-4-03 10:23A]

Guest SQUANCHO

is there ever going to be a girl division for wrestling b/c i know girls ,and im sure there are many more then the ones thati know, that would wrestle if they did not have to wrestle guys being it would be unfair

what's up coach bray? i just figured i had room to talk on this thread, since i was one of the guys who would get beat up on everyday by andi. she was/is a good wrestler, soccer player, and all around good girl. i think her making it to state just goes to show that girls can make it in a sport thought of to be a man's sport. i say if the gils can make it through practices, let them wrestle with the guys. i doubt there is enough interest to have a completely different division yet.

Guest INTHECIRCLE

Just to add one more thing, prior to transfering to Missouri Valley to wrestle, Andi Jones was also a recuited cheerleader at MTSU. While she has been at MV she has been consistantly on the team but not a varsity starter.