Girls Wrestling...

SpeedKILLS

I agree if TN decides to go, we need to make it a girls division. Let the girls wrestle girls. It is to much of a negative factor for the girls to wrestle the boys. It's hard on the boys and it is equally hard on the girls.

It is one thing for them to spare one another and learn from each other, but to compete it needs to be divided.

How many girls do you think we have in the state of TN that would be interested in wrestling. In the last four years, I've only seen somewhere between 5-10 girl wrestlers. I've seen them all the way up to the 215 wt. class. It would be great to pull them together and develop a program if the interest is out there.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by sundancer:

How many girls do you think we have in the state of TN that would be interested in wrestling. In the last four years, I've only seen somewhere between 5-10 girl wrestlers. I've seen them all the way up to the 215 wt. class. It would be great to pull them together and develop a program if the interest is out there.

see....that's where I think there's a Whole Sport full of Little sisters, Managers, and girlfriends that have fallen in love with Wrestling, and they can't even pursue it because they would have to wrestle Guys. as Soon as the opportunity arose, I think we'd be Amazed by the numbers.

Just thought I would share this bit of info on this subject. The California State Association,I think, plans to include girls exhibition matches during their state tournament. I think their are just 8 weight classes. There must be alot of interest in wrestling by females in California. Maybe we could have 3 divisions at our state tournament??? I don't think we have enough interest in our state for this to happen.

Does anyone know any females that coach wrestling?

Gentleman, I can tell you from hosting "Girl Wrestling Matches" for the past 10 years, that it would go over BIG!

We began by having matches with only girls in our school and then two years ago we began having duals with Red Bank.

When I announce that we are getting ready for the Girls Match, I have at least 40 girls sign up every year. Males are going to have to be the Coaches for the time being until we get more females involved, but that is no different than Basketball. Facilities are obviously going to have to be thought out with a plan of action taken. This is my thought, and I'm sharing it with all of you. We will win all the way around, 1. No more girl/guy matches 2. Bring a whole new element of excitement to our matches 3. and bring in a whole new family of people to get to know and love our sport 4. It creates another opportunity for girls to compete. Think about it!

Guest gable52

I have read alot of good and very interesting ideas here about female wrestling. I graduated from one of the best wrestling schools in the state of TN, and seeing it from a rather recent prospective of a high school wrestler, i just do not feel like the wrestling mat is any place for a girl. I do not want everyone to get mad at me and start jumping all over me for this, I am not trying to direspect female athletes in any way whatsoever. It is just my opinion that the mat is not really a place for females. I think that when a girl steps out on the mat it is just made to be a big joke. I have seen it more than once, no one around here really gives a girl on the mat a fair chance, and she is made to be nothing more than a joke. Like I said, please everyone do not be mad at me, I just wanted to voice my opinion like everyone else.

and that is a Valid Opinion. However:

That opinion is keeping an entire group of people (and even More importantly for our sport, a potentially LARGE source of Revenue) out of this sport that we love so much.

a Variation of that opinion is also what kept Black people out of Baseball for 100 Years. Think about the conversations if THAT was the case with us.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by HBK19:

and that is a Valid Opinion. However:

That opinion is keeping an entire group of people (and even More importantly for our sport, a potentially LARGE source of Revenue) out of this sport that we love so much.

a Variation of that opinion is also what kept Black people out of Baseball for 100 Years. Think about the conversations if THAT was the case with us.

Your analogy of Blacks to basketball as women to wrestling is bizarre. Blacks were prohibited from participating with whites of the same sex because of skin pigment. There was absolutely no difference in physiology just unfounded prejudices. Women wrestling is the furtherance of the defeminization of women and the feminization of men. Girls wrestling boys is a side show which should be regulated to the county fair. I observe the kind of parents that allow their daughters to wrestle and without a lot of imagination can figure out the problem. The only place women wrestling belongs is late at night on FOX or TBS.

There are so many areas of sport that allow women to demonstrate their athleticism, why encourage something that only a generation ago would have been considered perverse.

Do you really think that promoting female wrestling is some demonstration of an open mind?

Oh! I forgot. We're talking about money. That certainly will trump any other arguments with the Board of Control. I've got a better idea that will really bring in the money. We'll have two classes of female wrestling - mud and Jello!

Country, obviously you are still "STUCK" in that past Generation! It does my heart good to hear people like you talk. Then I really know that there is great value to a College Education, for that matter even a High School Education. Most people that are STUCK on Pervertions in certain areas, your's being Women Wrestling, may need to look at themselves real close in the mirror!!! I wonder if you drive a car or is your transportation a horse and cart. Why not, they used those generations ago!

Guest Coyote8
Posted by SpeedKILLS:

What do you think of girls wrestling? Soddy Daisy I think is wrestling someone this year in girls wrestling...

I've been wrestling for 12 years now, and I personally don't have a problem with it, as long as it is strictly guys vs. guys and girls vs. girls. First of all, in a co-gender situation, it's akward for both people and, especially at the teenage level, guys have an obvious physical advantage. In high school, guys are so full of hormones that they are just too strong for girls. Sports like basketball and soccer aren't coed, so why should wrestling be coed?

There is an incredible irony for someone from the Meth and trailer park capital of the state, Soddy Daisy, questioning the educational attainment of anyone. I went back and read your past posts. Do you speak English as a first language? Do you teach in or were you educated(attended?) in the Soddy Daisy school system?

As far as female wrestling, it's a freak show. I bet it plays really well up in Soddy. I think you can already catch it on WWF. Since we already have bowling as a high school sport, why not add girl wraslling. There is a certain symmetry to the two sports(?). Let's petition the TSSAA to add junior NASCAR. We could have kind of a redneck Spring Fling and host it in Soddy.