Girls Wrestling...

SpeedKILLS

FYI: The most recent issue of USA Wrestler included articles about the Asics Girls High School All-American Team. Many of you have mentioned you don't like the guys wrestling girls, neither do I, however, until my school creates a girls wrestling team, we have to and will continue to include girls on our team. In basic terms: do what ever is necessary to insure the survival and continued growth of our sport. If that means including girls and allowing them to wrestle guys, until there is enough interest to create a seperate girls team so be it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, The "Girls Match" with Red Bank has been postponed till a later date. It will still be Wrestled, but neither school is ready to compete as of yet. To answer your question, we have the Girls come in at 5:00 and practice till 6:00 each night after the boys. We will be starting with them Monday. The Girl, that John has is welcome to come Wrestle in this event also.

• 3 weeks later...

Woman don't play football, woman shouldn't wrestle. Yes, they should have the same chance and same ability and all that other stuff. I don't see girls trying to play LaCross. Wrestling will thrive without a girls division. Too many cracks will be made on girl wrestlers and there won't be enough girls interested. A few girls here and there might want to do it, but it's easy looking at wrestling from the outside. It's alot easier to watch and say, "I can do that" The competition between girls will be like an adverage middle school match. The only plus that I've heard was a large crowd or interest? Instead of getting girls involved, how about having a McCallieBradley match or a BaylorBradley match. How about having DI state champs wrestle DII state champs in a dual. How about some match-ups that people would pay to watch and get newspaper coverage - LeenCordell CattlettScott ConnellGibson ..a DunningKeller match last year or a YostScott match. All of those would attract as many people as girl wrestling. I'd drive from west Tennessee for any of those matchups. Let girls play football or Lacross before entering our relm.

[Edited by thegatling on 12-5-02 3:10P]

Guest wrestlingrocks

i am a manager for a team in tn, and i will honestly admitt that i have fallen in love with the sport. every since the first match i watched i've wanted to wrestle. i know it is an awesome sport and that it is fun, but when it comes down to wrestling a guy that i know is much stronger than me, i know i would be facing humility and there would be no reason for me to try. but i really don't mind sitting on the side and cheering on the team..yet i also think of how amazing the sport is.

If the girls want to wrestle, that is fine with me as long as they have their own team. Come on, you know that as with all the other sports most girls could not compete on the same level as the boys, that is why there is girls' soccer, basketball, track, etc. I am not putting girls down, but if you are serious about the sport then to keep from getting discouraged, form a girls' league (or whatever it would be called in wrestling.)

Sorry, girls.

• 1 month later...

My son, who was a state champ three years ago, used to wrestle a girl regularly at tournaments when he was a grade-schooler. Of course, she was from a strong wrestling family; her older brother was a 2x Pa state champ and an All-American at Clarion for several years.

Anyway, she would beat him regularly(2-3 years) until he began to learn some technique. They were evenly matched for a couple of years, then he began to become too strong for her. Her technique was plenty good enough to beat most boys. She wrestled four years in high school and had a winning career record. She is now first or second team for the USA Olympic women's wrestling team. This nice young lady is Erin Tomeo. You probably have seen her name mentioned in some the national wrestling magazines.

You might change your mind about female wrestling if you get to see a skilled female wrestler. Good wrestling is good wrestling......period.

Just between you and me I believe Erin would probably have placed at the state tournament if she wrestled in TN.