A great coach has passed

coach763

With great sadness, I must report that a great man and great coach has passed. I could post this in football, basketball, and baseball because; he was without doubt the best coach ever in all sports. Coach Gerald Johnson was a players coach and a coaches coach.................he was also my best friend, and what little that I know in coaching came from him.

Coach Johnson had been suffering from alzeheimer's and passed this morning (10-14).

He was one of the greatest athletes in BGA history in all (3) sports, and then continued that tradition as being one of the greatest in all (3) sports at MTSU (that is amazing by itself). My first recollection of him was a warm Aug morning at Antioch HS in 1958; when he became MY coach and MY best friend for the next 50+ years..............he also became my mentor as a young football coach and gave me the basis for all that I tried to be as a coach.

Coach Johnson was the "pied piper"...............he touched so many young people in the schools that he taught at Glencliff, Antioch, Central, Maplewood, Brentwood (he was their first head coach in all (3) sports........again amazing), Ryan, and finally at Cheatham Co.

I will miss my best friend, but he has left a fantastic legacy in all the lives that he has touched

Wes Elrod

*note services will be at Woodlawn this weeks (details to follow)

Edited by coach763

With great sadness, I must report that a great man and great coach has passed. I could post this in football, basketball, and baseball because; he was without doubt the best coach ever in all sports. Coach Gerald Johnson was a players coach and a coaches coach.................he was also my best friend, and what little that I know in coaching came from him.

Coach Johnson had been suffering from alzeheimer's and passed this morning (10-14).

He was one of the greatest athletes in BGA history in all (3) sports, and then continued that tradition as being one of the greatest in all (3) sports at MTSU (that is amazing by itself). My first recollection of him was a warm Aug morning at Antioch HS in 1958; when he became MY coach and MY best friend for the next 50+ years..............he also became my mentor as a young football coach and gave me the basis for all that I tried to be as a coach.

Coach Johnson was the "pied piper"...............he touched so many young people in the schools that he taught at Glencliff, Antioch, Central, Maplewood, Brentwood (he was their first head coach in all (3) sports........again amazing), Ryan, and finally at Cheatham Co.

I will miss my best friend, but he has left a fantastic legacy in all the lives that he has touched

Wes Elrod

*note services will be at Woodlawn this weeks (details to follow)

Coach Johnson was a leader of men. His philosphy and competitive nature has graced and will continue to grace young men and women for generations to come. We often overlook the HS coach as we remember the Bear Bryants of the world.........Gerald Johnson was a GIANT among coaches...

Deepest Sympathies to Mrs. Eloise and family.........he loved you all so much and I can remember that wry smile everytime he spoke of his family. A proud man.....an example......rest in peace Coach. You are loved.

Edited by Francis