Arby's Classic 2010

dirtydawg15

More accurate to say: Jon is my wife's son (my wife, the former all-state player from Dobyns-Bennett and one of the all-time top scorers for Maryville College).

:)

Best I could do for him was push his height up a little lol.

I am proud of the lil scamp, tis true - now we see just how good GP can be when everyone knows who they are, and they are up against a very high-caliber team like Columbia!

man he is a player and yau'll got a great team! i think yau'll are a top 5 team in the state no doubt.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pretty good job of forecasting the field by an Ohio fan. Only Science Hill (who will likely win the consolation bracket) isn't in the semifinals of the 5 teams I mentioned.

My best guesses on the teams with the best chances to win the Arby's Classic:

Mentor (Mentor, OH): The team I know best. The Cardinals are 4-0, ranked No. 1 in the 7-county coverage of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and ranked No. 5 in the state according to JJHuddle/Ohio High School Hoops. The team is scoring around 90 points per game thanks to terrific shooting (52 three-pointers made in four games), great guard play, and controlling a fast paced tempo. Mentor's top two players are senior guards that are committed to playing DII college ball.

Columbia (Decatur, GA): The Eagles were ranked No. 23 in the final USA Today poll at the end of last season after winning the Georgia 3A state title. Maybe they aren't considered as good as last year's team, but Columbia is not dry on talent. 6'7 junior Jarmal Reid is considered one the top players in 2012 class with several offers from the SEC and Big 12. The lone blemish of the season was a two-point loss to Miller Grove (GA), the No. 3 team currently in the USA Today poll.

Southwind (Memphis, TN): The Jaguars are 10-1, ranked No. 4 in the Memphis area according to The Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen. Southwind has possibly the top recruit at the Classic with Jonathan Williams, a 6'9 sophomore with offers from Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgetown, and others. Southwind's reputation as "94 feet of heat" will make them a difficult matchup for any team due to their speed, length, talent, and intensity.

Others: Science Hill and Urspring (Germany)

A pretty good job of forecasting the field by an Ohio fan. Only Science Hill (who will likely win the consolation bracket) isn't in the semifinals of the 5 teams I mentioned.

Very well analyzed, but TN High pulled the upset today on SH in a "to the last second" barn-burner. Then again, that TN High was playing on their home court!

Unfortunately, GP seemed to suffer a bad mental lapse after their breakdown in the second half with Columbia last night. Bottom line is they played well below their potential today.

We will see if they can use this experience to bring better focus to their game.

Best of luck to all the final four.

Edited by MMcCroskey

http://www2.btcs.org/ths/arbysclassic/games/game24.html

Columbia (GA) knocks off Mentor (OH) 80-73 in overtime in the first semfinal game. Columbia shot 61% from the field (68% on 2FG) and outrebounded Mentor 35-16. Mentor's lack of heights seemed to really bite them in the butt in this game. I knew Columbia was a good team, but I still believed Mentor could come out on top. Good luck to Columbia in the final.