Congratulations Mr. Football 2010

naildriver247

I would first like to say that Devrin Young is an extremely fine athlete that I give the best of wishes to him and his time at UT. Know as for being the best running back in Tennsessee he is not! Before you write me off, I am not ignorant, I have watched film over and over of both running backs I'tavious Mathers and Devrin Young. Here are something’s to consider when giving this award. First STATS but I do realize this is not the only thing you look at, along with those stats you need to look at who you put those numbers up against!!!!! Strength of schedule, then you go on to CHARACTER, then you look at the teams they played on. Beardan ended the season playing only 1 top ten ranked team. Blackman played 4. Now you say so what. Well Blackman's strength of schedule was much higher than Beardan any way you look at it so you should go into the voting process saying hey this kid ran against tougher defenses and better team’s right? Then you go on to look at stats. Devrin Young rushed for 1,769 yards on 164 carries with 21 rushing touchdowns Impressive! I'tavious rushed for 2,070 yards on 187 carries with 26 total touchdowns a STATE BEST against BETTER competition I think we are starting to get the picture but were not there yet. They Both ended with over 3000 all purpose yards WOW! I'train was the soul of Blackman's offense they did not have a passing game teams came in knowing it was all him and he still got the job done. Then comes in the CHARACTER issue and you cant tell me he didn't win bc of of his attitude or character or work ethic. I have NEVER seen this kid taunt his opponents he hands the ball to the ref and runs to the sideline like nothing happened when he scores. I believe Everyone should have to watch film before they vote. I'tavious simply has a more natural, graceful stride. I am not saying you have to have a graceful stride to be effective I am simply saying when you watch film you can tell who is better. I'tavious Mathers DESERVED this award and was simply robbed. Was it bc he was a jr? Do more voters live in east TN? Maybe they should call it the sign with UT and get the award, award (kyberson) lol jk, but seriously when you are giving an award that is so meaningful it should be done without politics or controversies. Like I said before good luck to both in the future they are BOTH bright!!!!

Edited by zainblaze

I would first like to say that Devrin Young is an extremely fine athlete that I give the best of wishes to him and his time at UT. Know as for being the best running back in Tennsessee he is not! Before you wright me of, I am not ignorant, I have watched film over film over film of both running backs I'tavious Mathers and Devrin Young. Here are something’s to consider when giving this award. First STATS but I do realize this is not the only thing you look at, along with those stats you need to look at who you put those numbers up against!!!!! Strength of schedule, then you go on to CHARACTER, then you look at the teams they played on. Beardan ended the season playing only 1 top ten ranked team. Blackman played 4. Know you say so what. Well Blackman's strength of schedule was much higher than beardan any way you look at it so you should go into the voting process saying hey this kid ran against tougher defenses and better team’s right? Then you go on to look at stats. Devrin Young rushed for 1,769 yards on 164 carries with 21 rushing touchdowns Impressive! I'tavious rushed for 2,070 yards on 187 carries with 26 total touchdowns a STATE BEST against BETTER competition I think we are starting to get the picture but were not there yet. They Both ended with over 3000 all purpose yards WOW! Then comes in the CHARACTER issue and you cant tell me he didn't win bc of of his attitude or character or work ethic. I have NEVER seen this kid taunt his opponents he hands the ball to the ref and runs to the sideline like a good little boy when he scores. I believe Everyone should have to watch film before they vote. I'tavious simply has a more natural, graceful stride. I am not saying you have to have a graceful stride to be effective I am simply saying when you watch film you can tell who is better. I'tavious Mathers DESERVED this award and was simply robbed. Was it bc he was a jr? Do more voters live in east TN? Maybe they should call it the sign with UT and get the award, award (kyberson) lol jk, but seriously when you are giving an award that is so meaningful it should be done without politics or controversies. Like I said before good luck to both in the future they are BOTH bright!!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was pulling for Meadows to get it as well, but I can't really go against that one. However, Mathers not winning was absolutely comical! I know Young is good, and as a UT fan, I hope he has a GREAT career and I wish him nothing but the best. The Mr. Football award for 2010 should have gone to the better player in 2010, and sadly it didn't.

I would first like to say that Devrin Young is an extremely fine athlete that I give the best of wishes to him and his time at UT. Know as for being the best running back in Tennsessee he is not! Before you wright me of, I am not ignorant, I have watched film over film over film of both running backs I'tavious Mathers and Devrin Young. Here are something’s to consider when giving this award. First STATS but I do realize this is not the only thing you look at, along with those stats you need to look at who you put those numbers up against!!!!! Strength of schedule, then you go on to CHARACTER, then you look at the teams they played on. Beardan ended the season playing only 1 top ten ranked team. Blackman played 4. Know you say so what. Well Blackman's strength of schedule was much higher than beardan any way you look at it so you should go into the voting process saying hey this kid ran against tougher defenses and better team’s right? Then you go on to look at stats. Devrin Young rushed for 1,769 yards on 164 carries with 21 rushing touchdowns Impressive! I'tavious rushed for 2,070 yards on 187 carries with 26 total touchdowns a STATE BEST against BETTER competition I think we are starting to get the picture but were not there yet. They Both ended with over 3000 all purpose yards WOW! Then comes in the CHARACTER issue and you cant tell me he didn't win bc of of his attitude or character or work ethic. I have NEVER seen this kid taunt his opponents he hands the ball to the ref and runs to the sideline like a good little boy when he scores. I believe Everyone should have to watch film before they vote. I'tavious simply has a more natural, graceful stride. I am not saying you have to have a graceful stride to be effective I am simply saying when you watch film you can tell who is better. I'tavious Mathers DESERVED this award and was simply robbed. Was it bc he was a jr? Do more voters live in east TN? Maybe they should call it the sign with UT and get the award, award (kyberson) lol jk, but seriously when you are giving an award that is so meaningful it should be done without politics or controversies. Like I said before good luck to both in the future they are BOTH bright!!!!

I have watched Young play many times at Bearden, and only seen Mathers YOUTUBE video's with that siad here is my opinion. Maybe, the grade class was a factor or maybe not. But, (this is not taking anything away from Mathers) he was running behind a O-Line and a fullback that played their posistions very well and Young didn't. There were times many of us in the stands wondered how Young got back up to carry the ball again. Out, of the 1700 plus yards he rush for this year, he ran an extra 500 trying to find a seam or a hole. That may have played a role in the voters mind.

I actually think there are more voters in the middle TN area. Just like there are more schools in Middle Tn.

Just my opinion, everybody has one, but I would have to say that Mathers being a Jr. had the biggest impact on him not getting the award this year. There were three talented backs up for this award and all could make great cases why they should have been awarded this honor.

Good luck in the future. Look forward to watching you play on Saturdays.

Edited by naildriver247

I have watched Young play many times at Bearden, and only seen Mathers YOUTUBE video's with that siad here is my opinion. Maybe, the grade class was a factor or maybe not. But, (this is not taking anything away from Mathers) he was running behind a O-Line and a fullback that played their posistions very well and Young didn't. There were times many of us in the stands wondered how Young got back up to carry the ball again. Out, of the 1700 plus yards he rush for this year, he ran an extra 500 trying to find a seam or a hole. That may have played a role in the voters mind.

My son was the left guard on that O-line and they did do a very good job and played their positions well. The thing that is not obvious on YouTube is the fact that our O-line was smaller than any team we played and, except for Smyrna, we dominated every defense (ranked) that we played. This is a total smack in the face to Mathers and it is a shame.

My son was the left guard on that O-line and they did do a very good job and played their positions well. The thing that is not obvious on YouTube is the fact that our O-line was smaller than any team we played and, except for Smyrna, we dominated every defense (ranked) that we played. This is a total smack in the face to Mathers and it is a shame.

I can understand your frustration in this matter. As a Bearden fan, and someone who has a long personal relationship with Devrin Young, I would be disappointed myself. But, as a football fan, I would not think it was a smack in the face to Devrin or a shame if he didn't win.

IMO..It really is a coinflip. I would say, grade/class, and Devrin's committment to UT played a factor. Of course we will never know. However, when all the personal feelings are gone and if you are a UT fan, most likely when you watch him on saturdays the next few years, you will see he was deserving.

I wish, Mr. Mathers, your son, you, and Blackman the best of luck next season. Like, I said Blackman's O-Line and fullback play their posistions very well. The highlight tape on youtube imo could and should also be a highlight reel of them also. I don't know what all goes into the voting for these awards, but as a ex-lineman myself the "line play" would be a factor in my vote, if I was one of the powers to be. If I had to vote on two outsatnding RB's one with a line that plays very well and another that doesn't and they both put up similar numbers, my vote would go to the one without the line. Another factor, that I would sway my vote would what type of offense each back play out of. Mr. Mathers ran out of a I-formatiom with a little pistol thrown in. Both of these offenses give the back the luxury of running down hill before they get the ball. Just more favorable for backs to rack up yardage. Where Devrin ran out of the spread. As you know, the back is standing still, then has to scan the line and make a decision on where to run.

Of course, you could ask 100 different people and get a 100 different answers. Not, trying to hate on Mr. Mathers or up hold Mr. Young. If, I had the chance to be at 5 or 6 Blackman games to see all they had to offer, my opinion would probally be different. Just being honest, not trying to insult or outrage.

Edited by Kidstaxi