Big 8 Baseball

Gabby

Plowboy,

Not many comments from anyone about last nights baseball game between Science Hill and Dobyns Bennett. It had just about everything from a pitching duel between Vessie and D-No to late game theatrics with both teams coming from behind to get leads. I thought it was one of the most exciting games I have seen this year. Either team could have won. There were controversal plays at the plates. Science Hill was fortunate to have the last at bat.

Both teams should be proud. DB hit D-No about as well as any team in four years. Only major gafts I saw was DB runner seemed to hesitate trying to score from third, and the SH runner getting picked off at second.

Things have changed since I played. In my day, we were told not to make the first out at home, although I believe the DB player would have scored if he ran on contact. Nevertheless, I would have had to see ball get through before I would have run. When I played, I knew that if there was a runner on second and there was a bunt attempt, that it was automatic that the catcher was throwing to second. But these are still young players playing the game, and I see major leaguers making the same mistakes.

Overall, it was one of the better high school games that I have seen!!!

No question one of the best games I have ever had the pleasure to attend. And that kind of hurts being on the loosing end.

Coach Wagner did a great job getting DB ready and Vestal pitched one whale of a game. How about DB stealing home? Wow!

Some friends from Bristol came to watch the game with me. Was somewhat confused (and I am searching for the words here) that neither the DB or Science Hill fans didn't really cheer against the other team. Best I could explain was there is a great deal of respect between these 2 teams and many of these boys have played together or against each other since they where 9 years old.

I want to see every player play there best and let the chips fall where they may. I think we saw that last night. I saw a lot of heart on both sides last night. I just hope the same energy will be there again next Tuesday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question one of the best games I have ever had the pleasure to attend. And that kind of hurts being on the loosing end.

Coach Wagner did a great job getting DB ready and Vestal pitched one whale of a game. How about DB stealing home? Wow!

Some friends from Bristol came to watch the game with me. Was somewhat confused (and I am searching for the words here) that neither the DB or Science Hill fans didn't really cheer against the other team. Best I could explain was there is a great deal of respect between these 2 teams and many of these boys have played together or against each other since they where 9 years old.

I want to see every player play there best and let the chips fall where they may. I think we saw that last night. I saw a lot of heart on both sides last night. I just hope the same energy will be there again next Tuesday.

anybody know standings right now?

I would say

Science Hill

DB

THS

Boone

volunteer/Crockett

Central

is this right?

Who leads the Conference in HR's?

anybody know standings right now?

I would say

Science Hill

DB

THS

Boone

volunteer/Crockett

Central

is this right?

Who leads the Conference in HR's?

I believe the standings are as follows:

SH 9-1

DB 8-2

South 4-2

THS 4-5

Boone 3-4

Volunteer 3-8

Crockett 2-6

Central 0-7

Science Hill has the inside track having beat DB twice in conference play in two very close games that Norris pitched. DB beat SH in a non-conference Coca-Cola classic. There is a log jam for the 3/4 positions.

The conference tournament could be interesting though Science Hill is starting to hit the ball much better, especially the top of the line up. Several players with 4 or 5 homeruns (Norris, Carter, Nelson, & Craig.

The district tournament could also be interesting since both Seymour and Jefferson County are ranked higher than Science Hill in the polls that I have seen.

I believe the standings are as follows:

SH 9-1

DB 8-2

South 4-2

THS 4-5

Boone 3-4

Volunteer 3-8

Crockett 2-6

Central 0-7

Science Hill has the inside track having beat DB twice in conference play in two very close games that Norris pitched. DB beat SH in a non-conference Coca-Cola classic. There is a log jam for the 3/4 positions.

The conference tournament could be interesting though Science Hill is starting to hit the ball much better, especially the top of the line up. Several players with 4 or 5 homeruns (Norris, Carter, Nelson, & Craig.

The district tournament could also be interesting since both Seymour and Jefferson County are ranked higher than Science Hill in the polls that I have seen.

Was looking back through Tricitiessports.com. Looks like South has not played the top games. Their four wins are all over the bottom teams. They still have to play the top teams. I believe they play Boone Wednesday in a makeup and then again the last week of the season which will determine the 4 spot.

Looking at the articles. Connell hit 3 Saturday and 1 last night so I think he has 7 according to tricitiessports.com

I think Norris and Craig have 6 each.

Millsap has several for DB.

Was looking back through Tricitiessports.com. Looks like South has not played the top games. Their four wins are all over the bottom teams. They still have to play the top teams. I believe they play Boone Wednesday in a makeup and then again the last week of the season which will determine the 4 spot.

Looking at the articles. Connell hit 3 Saturday and 1 last night so I think he has 7 according to tricitiessports.com

I think Norris and Craig have 6 each.

Millsap has several for DB.

I know South still has two games with Science Hill.

Throw Zach Thompson in there with 6 home runs.

I don't understand how Zach has not gotten the offers. Solid fielder and good hitter.

Lincoln Memorial is very impressed with Zack. I also think that Zack is the most underated player on the Science Hill team. He isn't going to wow you, until you have watched play game after game. He is a solid baseball player. I think he would like to play at ETSU, but ETSU is loaded with middle infielders right now.

Great game last night between science hill and boone. All the drama of a great high school baseball game. Dino made a top ten catch in the first inning. Good pitching. Homeruns. Comeback. Drama til last pitch

Some questions edwards not leaving Craig but he had to be over 100 pitches and seemed to be tiring.

I don't understand why he pitched to Connell. According to some of the boone fans he has 8 homeruns in a week and now 2 grandslams. I would have walked him. And someone else would have had to beat me. I also thought that was his best pitching performance I have seen from Kevin . Good control of curve and slider and was 90+ at times.

Dinos last hit would have gone out anywhere except dead center.

Edited by NETFan

Have

Great game last night between science hill and boone. All the drama of a great high school baseball game. Dino made a top ten catch in the first inning. Good pitching. Homeruns. Comeback. Drama til last pitch

Some questions edwards not leaving Craig but he had to be over 100 pitches and seemed to be tiring.

I don't understand why he pitched to Connell. According to some of the boone fans he has 8 homeruns in a week and now 2 grandslams. I would have walked him. And someone else would have had to beat me. I also thought that was his best pitching performance I have seen from Kevin . Good control of curve and slider and was 90+ at times.

Dinos last hit would have gone out anywhere except dead center.

Have to also say that was the best game Chandley has caught. Where did that base stealing speed come from.

the old Jr Toppers are really making the conference interesting this year. Would love to see a reunion game.

Have

Have to also say that was the best game Chandley has caught. Where did that base stealing speed come from.

the old Jr Toppers are really making the conference interesting this year. Would love to see a reunion game.

Does South have a chance against Science Hill to upset the standings and the brackets for Saturday?

Does South have a chance against Science Hill to upset the standings and the brackets for Saturday?

Science Hill has shown that the mediocre teams can beat them, but that they can beat the good teams! It all has to do with focus and Norris. SH plays better when Norris is pitching, but Norris isn't going to be able to pitch every game in the upcoming tournaments. Science Hill has a strong staff with possibly 8 or 9 pitchers that would be the number 2 or 3 on many of the teams in the state. Hopefully, the coaches will have confidence in them during the tournaments. Sweeney who is probably fourth or fifth on depth chart certainly rose to the occassion at Farragut.

Science Hill has outscored their opponents a 100 to 5 (exaggeration) in the first two innings, and their opponents have outscored them 100 to 5 (exaggeration) in the rest of the innings. All of this is regardless of the pitching whether they were throwing heat or throwing lobs.

Science Hill should beat South. Yes, South can beat SH, but South has wrapped up their seed. So you wonder what South will do tonight. I think if I were South, I would throw a kid that I have expectations for the 2012 season to give him some experience.