Programs that refuse to play Football with open dates

OLD PIRATE

Article in Chattanooga TFP Area’s elite have trouble scheduling

From that article >>>>

“There are a couple of teams that have either backed out of playing us or their coach has lied to my face about not having open dates,†said Grider, whose program has played just one nondistrict 1A opponent in the last 10 years. “So we’re making a policy to not play those schools in any other sport beginning right now. We won’t play them in the basketball games we were scheduled to, and we won’t keep them on our baseball or softball schedules, either.

“It’s fine for them to beat us by 30 points in basketball, and we’re just supposed to smile and take it. But they won’t play us in football. How do you expect your program to ever get better if you don’t play good competition your own size? There’s a whole other district of teams our size in Chattanooga, but Boyd-Buchanan is the only one of them that will play us. The people dodging us better hope they don’t meet us in the playoffs, because I have a long memory.â€

Old Pirate says this was a joy to read and Congrats Again to Coach Vic on his stand. Long memory......recon if the TSSAA would do away with the Mercy Rule ole Vic would hit triple digits on some of these sissy/skeerd folkes. :popcorneater:

YEH.....we a talking ABOUT BLEDSOE.....GRACE....GRUNDY....and plenty of others

Hopefully the fellers from Jasvegas is NOT so worried about the record that they choose to not play BB as reported on coacht..Surely not....

GO WAR EAGLES

Edited by OLD PIRATE

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand why Vic is frustrated. However, I don't know that I would agree with his course of action because it puts undue burden on the other sports for the sake of football. Not many local A or even AA teams want to schedule SP for football, which means that in order to find a team for basketball/baseball/softball/volleyball, those coaches have to travel farther for games.

Right now our district has 8 teams in it which means you have 14 district games in basketball on your schedule. When Signal Mtn moves out next year, that will drop to 12 games. I'm sure that Coach Phillips would want to have more court time than 14 games before the District Tournament. If he can only fill the remaining 10-14 games with teams that are willing to play football, it will be difficult for him to have a full schedule.

We all know that football is king in our neck of the woods, but don't make the other sports suffer because no-one wants to play you in football.

Purplegrad why did Marion back out on Boyd? I thought we have some good games in the past and was beneficial to both teams with the crowds that both of us bring to each other fields. Just wondering if anyone knew why.

Purplegrad why did Marion back out on Boyd? I thought we have some good games in the past and was beneficial to both teams with the crowds that both of us bring to each other fields. Just wondering if anyone knew why.

IS THIS MESS FOR REAL??????? Old Pirate thought this had to be a joke with someone trying to rattle them Jasvegas fellers cages.

I have no idea. I don't get involved in the scheduling of football.. I'm just a fan.

In the past, the Marion/Boyd games have drawn large crowds, but, if you were at Jasper this year, Boyd didn't hardly bring anyone. That may have had something to do with it. Again, I don't know. I'm sure at some point this fledgling rivalry will pick back up. Would like to see a home/home with Boyd in basketball, but our schedule is just too packed right now.

I have no idea. I don't get involved in the scheduling of football.. I'm just a fan.

In the past, the Marion/Boyd games have drawn large crowds, but, if you were at Jasper this year, Boyd didn't hardly bring anyone. That may have had something to do with it. Again, I don't know. I'm sure at some point this fledgling rivalry will pick back up. Would like to see a home/home with Boyd in basketball, but our schedule is just too packed right now.

I was at the game this year and our side was filled up. I have seen Boyd bring more but I would not call it a small crowd. It was the week we were on fall break may have something to do with it. Whatever the case acoording to the newspaper MC had already schedule them then drop the Bucs.

Since there are many schools that don't have football teams baseball and basketball games that we drop are not hard to fill. We have a pretty big district in baseball and basketball so we have a pretty full schedule just playing those games. The only teams I know for sure that refuse to play us in football are Bledsoe and Grace but I'm sure there are more. As far as picking only teams in baseball and basketball that we think we can beat is false... we have lost a lot of games over the years for that to be the case. We just lost big to Grace last week...for the last time anyway. Aren't you a Grace fan?

I am a Grace fan that is why I asked. Grace just played South Pitt the past 2 years in football even though we didn't have to. I know that Grace decided to take a break for the next 2 years, but it is not because we are trying to avoid South Pitt. As you know well, South Pitt is a great program. Grace is striving to be a great program and is trying to go a different direction for a couple of years. With the exception of 1 year we have not even been close to competing with you guys so it doesn't really benefit you guys to play us. I know when I first became associated with Grace, South Pitt would not play Grace in basketball. The past couple of years they have and they have been competitive. The loss last week was a few days removed from the state championship. Basketball guys had maybe 1 practice. When they play later it will be closer.

I respect Coach Grider and what he said in the paper, but just because a team chooses not to play you doesn't mean that they are avoiding you. I am sure Alcoa would not want to play us, but I know they are not avoiding us. I really do hope he fills his schedule and maybe in the future it will work out to play again in football. I am sorry he feels that we have wronged him.

I am a Grace fan that is why I asked. Grace just played South Pitt the past 2 years in football even though we didn't have to. I know that Grace decided to take a break for the next 2 years, but it is not because we are trying to avoid South Pitt. As you know well, South Pitt is a great program. Grace is striving to be a great program and is trying to go a different direction for a couple of years. With the exception of 1 year we have not even been close to competing with you guys so it doesn't really benefit you guys to play us. I know when I first became associated with Grace, South Pitt would not play Grace in basketball. The past couple of years they have and they have been competitive. The loss last week was a few days removed from the state championship. Basketball guys had maybe 1 practice. When they play later it will be closer.

I respect Coach Grider and what he said in the paper, but just because a team chooses not to play you doesn't mean that they are avoiding you. I am sure Alcoa would not want to play us, but I know they are not avoiding us. I really do hope he fills his schedule and maybe in the future it will work out to play again in football. I am sorry he feels that we have wronged him.

Old Pirate is jest curious.......Coach Vic stated some have lied to his face about having same open dates. IS Grace one of them that lied to him? Nah...surely not another "Church School" that would do something like that....Figure it musta been Bledsoe :popcorneater:

OP wonders what not renewing a contract means.....since you've cleared the air that folkes is not avoiding SP,SM and Boyd. OP jest ca't want to hear this skillet head reply :popcorneater:

Edited by OLD PIRATE

Right now our district has 8 teams in it which means you have 14 district games in basketball on your schedule. When Signal Mtn moves out next year, that will drop to 12 games. I'm sure that Coach Phillips would want to have more court time than 14 games before the District Tournament. If he can only fill the remaining 10-14 games with teams that are willing to play football, it will be difficult for him to have a full schedule.

We only have 19 games on the schedule plus a tourny this year. I think games with Boyd may be in the future to replace Grace. Unless he tries to play more it doesn't look like BB games will be a problem

I was at the game this year and our side was filled up. I have seen Boyd bring more but I would not call it a small crowd. It was the week we were on fall break may have something to do with it. Whatever the case acoording to the newspaper MC had already schedule them then drop the Bucs.

From the rumblings I have heard Boeck is on the hot seat at jasper...needs the wins so picked up an easier game

Old Pirate is jest curious.......Coach Vic stated some have lied to his face about having same open dates. IS Grace one of them that lied to him? Nah...surely not another "Church School" that would do something like that....Figure it musta been Bledsoe :popcorneater:

OP wonders what not renewing a contract means.....since you've cleared the air that folkes is not avoiding SP,SM and Boyd. OP jest ca't want to hear this skillet head reply :popcorneater:

Grace has never lied to him. Our coach said when he did ask to play us it was after the schedule was full. If there was a misunderstanding with that I will apologize for the coach because I know he has been honest the whole time. Grace is not perfect, but I know we try to handle every situation in a Godly manner.

Not renewing a contract means that a team made a choice to not play again. It happens all the time in high school sports and college sports. South Pitt played Tyner 2 years ago but have not played the last two years. No one is saying that they are avoiding each other. I guess they made a choice to go different directions. It happens and that doesn't mean a school should be criticized for choosing to play different teams. If some team lied or backed out of an agreement that is a separate matter.

Not sure your definition of "filled up" and my definition match up too well. The Boyd game was definitely one of the smallest away crowds for the season for us. Couple that with the fact that we only had 4 home games, and it really hurt. I don't know what reason Boeck had for not scheduling Boyd this year. These SP fellers will surely give you a lot of biased speculation on that. If you really want to know the truth, just call the school and ask him.