Tuck in that jersey

Indian

http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/article.cfm?id=208729

"A three second call, two missed shots, and the fifth foul call on Gordonsville’s Zach Sanders set off a chain of events that led to Sanders losing his cool when the officials asked him to tuck his shirt as he went to the bench after fouling out.

Words were exchanged and Sanders pulled his shirt out again and was whistled again and his father, the Gordonsville coach also lost his cool and was whistled once and the Tiger bench was also called for a technical foul, sending Gentry to the line for ten foul shots, all from the one incident."

Are you kidding..the player has fouled out and they're on him to tuck the jersey in while he's going to the bench?

http://www.coacht.com/tennessee/article.cfm?id=208729

"A three second call, two missed shots, and the fifth foul call on Gordonsville’s Zach Sanders set off a chain of events that led to Sanders losing his cool when the officials asked him to tuck his shirt as he went to the bench after fouling out.

Words were exchanged and Sanders pulled his shirt out again and was whistled again and his father, the Gordonsville coach also lost his cool and was whistled once and the Tiger bench was also called for a technical foul, sending Gentry to the line for ten foul shots, all from the one incident."

Are you kidding..the player has fouled out and they're on him to tuck the jersey in while he's going to the bench?

Untucking the jersey is a way of showing disrespect. I did it as a player and didn't understand it then but as a coach I do. It's about discipline.

http://www.coacht.co...e.cfm?id=208729

The referees are as about as lousy as I have ever seen.....We have had some doozy's at our games. I bet if you gave these guys a test they would fail it! There's a select few of Melton's crew that knows the game and knows when to call and what to call but over 75% ain't got a CLUE!

Like it or not, the refs are the authority in the game. I get so frustrated at the disrespect that many kids today show to authority figures. What is worse, is that many kids get this from their parents. Many parents think their kids do no wrong and it is always someone else that is to blame. If he would have obeyed the authority, no technical fouls would have been called and then there would not have been 10 free throws shot on one play. You can blame who you want, but the blame truly rests on the player and his coach/father.

Like it or not, the refs are the authority in the game. I get so frustrated at the disrespect that many kids today show to authority figures. What is worse, is that many kids get this from their parents. Many parents think their kids do no wrong and it is always someone else that is to blame. If he would have obeyed the authority, no technical fouls would have been called and then there would not have been 10 free throws shot on one play. You can blame who you want, but the blame truly rests on the player and his coach/father.

Like it or not, the refs are the authority in the game. This is the statement that is so sad because you have alot of REFS that dwell on being in charge and thats half of the problem. I know every case is different, I can only speak of the ones that I see but when the team is out there hustling and trying to play the game and the SO CALLED AUTHORITY FIGURE can control the whole outcome of the game then thats where the problem starts!

Like it or not, the refs are the authority in the game. This is the statement that is so sad because you have alot of REFS that dwell on being in charge and thats half of the problem. I know every case is different, I can only speak of the ones that I see but when the team is out there hustling and trying to play the game and the SO CALLED AUTHORITY FIGURE can control the whole outcome of the game then thats where the problem starts!

This is a good point. I have watched a lot of games from a completely neutral position, and I have seen refs turn on an athlete that was disrespectful. So many of the calls can go either way and if an athlete disrespects the ref he is not going to get a close call. The more veteran refs are better at keeping emotions out and just calling the game, but I have seen it happen to them as well. The best advice I have heard is teach the athlete to be respectful and you will not have to worry about it. If a ref misses a call he usually knows it. If you do not show him up usually the next close call goes your way. Not always.

What I have seen in the past four years of my involvement with High School basketball is the more AAU type of officiating and ball playing. Either called too tight or too loose, hard to find a happy medium. Some players feel this is their only shot at College and if it doesn't go their way out comes the attitude. I don't know any of the ones involved in this incident, so this is just my overall view of High School and Middle school ball, and AAU. On another note we also find in the stands parents that never played a sport in High School and they have a child with a little talent and now the parent becomes the problem by not knowing the rules of what ever game they are playing.

• Upvote 1

I didn't witness what happened during this instance, so I can't comment specifically. Regardless, I do agree that kids too often disrepect authority and many parents are as bad or worse. However, one of my pet peeves is with refs/officials that can't handle being an authority figure. I think to be an effective official one has to exercise discretion and do his/her best to keep personal emotions out of the game. Too often officials come into the game with a chip on their shoulder just looking for an opportunity to show their authority. Neither poor behavior by the athletes/coaches nor the officials is acceptable to me. I've seen plenty of both. Based on the description of events in the previous posts, my guess is that questionable behavior from both may have precipitated this situation.

I didn't witness what happened during this instance, so I can't comment specifically. Regardless, I do agree that kids too often disrepect authority and many parents are as bad or worse. However, one of my pet peeves is with refs/officials that can't handle being an authority figure. I think to be an effective official one has to exercise discretion and do his/her best to keep personal emotions out of the game. Too often officials come into the game with a chip on their shoulder just looking for an opportunity to show their authority. Neither poor behavior by the athletes/coaches nor the officials is acceptable to me. I've seen plenty of both. Based on the description of events in the previous posts, my guess is that questionable behavior from both may have precipitated this situation.

officials are the authority but they are not supposed to be argumentative...alot of officials i have seen in tennessee think that everyone came to watch them..and meet every conversation with an attitude..i am a asst coach with a team...and it is the worst i have seen and i was an official for 10yrs in other states...had the lead official tell us as we ran on the court after girls game...that unless we wanted to start the game with a technical we needed to have 1 of our parents moved from the STANDS behind our bench...because he heard her through out the girls game and was tired of it...so we ask him not to take out his frustration with her on our kids...and what do u know he calls 3 total fouls on other team in 1st half and our coach gets T'd up in 2nd qtr..the refs' in this state are the worst ever...and to the select few good ones we have you need to talk to your fellow brothers they are ruining your profession

The point is not about players being disrespectful, the point is the officials gave an 8 point advantage to a team over an untucked jersey.(the kid made 8 out of 10). You can watch a game and watch kids say every word imaginable and very rarely are technical fouls called for foul language unless directed at the official. Officials do not like to be "shown up". Neither do coaches or players. Players and parents should respect officials because parents have the same opportunity to ref basketball if you so wish. If you think the officials are so bad then File the paperwork and get the 50 dollars a game to have everyone in the gym hate you. The officials are there to keep high school games from turning into a riot because half the people there would fist fight if there were no consequences. Should the kid have shot 10 free throws? No, I do not think so, but the officials did what they felt was right and the T$$AA will review the sequence of events I'm sure and if the referee's were out of line then correct actions will be made.