Tri-County Seven

coachh17

I will add my two cents after watching last night's game. First, I was shocked at the small and fairly quiet home crowd. I never thought I would see that at South Greene. I actually thought Elizabethton had a larger and more vocal crowd. Second, the South Greene press and defensive intensity did not match their historical level. Finally, they do look confused on the floor. Why they did not pound the ball into Hicks on half their possesions I do not know. Ricker scored 21 points, but she missed a lot of shots short and looks uncomfortable shooting off the dribble from the point guard position. I think she is more comfortable as a shooting guard taking more spot up shots from the wings and corners. Cutshaw plays hard and I like the way she attacks the rim off the dribble. She put a hard lick on Powell on a charge. She was not the same player after the collision with DeMoss. None of the other Lady Rebels had a very good game last night, but I am sure they can play better. I guess the key question is who is the point guard? The second question is will the team play inside out, or outside in? If it is me, I run it through Hicks first and kick it out if she is double teamed. Take it for what its worth. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right there Sparky. A little out of sync. They are alot out of sync. There is some issues there obviously with coaching. You do have some experiencein coaching on the bench but your head coach calling it all in the game is only going to be as good as what you use. If your only going to use what your have backing you in practice and then not use it in the game or use your middle school knowledge in the game then, your not going to succeed at this level. When was the last time you came to a game in the SG gym and saw so many open seats in the home side. Even the fan attendance is down and it certainly is not because of the weather. Weather has never stopped them in the past. Fans can't figure out what their doing on the other side and their not wasting their money to come and see the tradition drove in the ground. There is quality players and talent on the team that he is not pulling together. He is keeping it seperated or allowing it to be individualized on the court. It has to be worked for the same common goal as a team and not as in individual or stand alone game. As a team SG has only played 2 good games as a team this entire season. If they don't watch it, they will be in the same boat as Unicoi is. They too are having their own coaching issues...

I realize it was just one game and that's all I've seen SG play this year. But, I would never have imagined that Betsy would go to SG and really dominate them like last night. I am surprised by some of the conference losses they have too. Etown has a really good team, but SG is obviously not playing to their potential right now. Like I said in one of my previous posts, I don't think the game was really as close as the final score. I did notice the sparse crowd also. Regardless, I expect that the next meeting between the Lady Cyclones and Lady Rebels will be much closer.

Well, I'm back online after nearly two weeks of computer trouble. A new Dell fixed the issue.

CoachH made a point by mentioning Cloudland's losses, I'd like to add something though. We lost at North Greene by 4, after only playing really the 4th Quarter. That was a bad night that started with a mouse in the girls locker room just before the game, then being introduced as the "Cloudland Lady Cyclones...or something" (yes, that is a quote from the announcer), and then included the typical Greene County officiating that featured a foul when no player was within 4 feet of the girl "fouled." Oh yea, when we actually made a sustained offensive run in the 4th Q, with NG unable to get the ball across half-court, the scoreboard mysteriously malfunctioned and derailed our momentum. To leave with a loss isn't ever good, but I feel like there were extenuating circumstances!

The loss to Avery County was at Avery. After trouncing them in Tennessee, we knew we would have a fight to win at Avery. It is much like Greene County, with their own set of rules and referees. The only thing I need to mention is that there were 33 traveling violations called. And we lost by only a few in overtime.

The loss to Sullivan South is inexplicable, and shouldn't have happened. We just didn't show up ready to play.

I really wish we had been able to play the Unicoi, South Greene, and Chucky-Doak games that were snowed out. Along with the rest of you, I'd love to see how we really stack up. We are a very young team, even younger than last year actually, and I'm quite proud and excited by the performance of the team this year overall.

And congratulations to Elizabethton, I'm glad to see a Carter County team at the #1 spot!

The Highlander

Yep, the game at CHS was the one postponed. We haven't played or scrimmaged SG in a few years, and I haven't seen them play since then. They are always tough, and you never leave their gym un-bloodied.

Good win tonight at Hampton. Very tough game, I think our largest lead was seven, and Hampton's was around six. Congratulations Lady 'Landers!

The Highlander

The Lady Cyclones came away with a win on Warrior Hill tonight. The first half was very lackluster on the Lady Cyclones' part. They shot poorly and lacked defensive intensity. I think the latter was the main issue. Give the Lady Warriors credit, they shot the ball well in the first half and the score was a measly 20-16 at the break. The Lady Cyclones defended much better in the second half and that led to more success on the offensive end. I believe our depth hurt HV as they wore down in the 3rd quarter. Betsy pulled away to win by a large margin in the end. Any win is a good win, but our girls are gonna have to be more consistent throughout in order to have any post-season success.

Elizabethton played a great game tonight against CAK (Christian Academy of Knoxville). The Lady Cyclones started hot and never cooloed down against a good looking and athletic CAK team. I think Chelsea Bowling hit about 7 threes from everywhere out to 30 feet. Kristen Powell was stealing, dipping, darting, and bombing from the point. Erin Kiser was defending, rebounding, and draining threes. Cara Bowling was slashing to the goal from the wings and shooting layups and drawing fouls. I do not think I have ever seen all four seniors play so well in the same game. Norris, DeMoss, Roberts, McCurry, and DePew all made contributions and played well. The Lady Cyclones shot a very high percentage and probably knocked down at least a dozen threes. The final was 80-49. CAK was led by 8th grade left-handed point guard Anna Hammaker. She is going to be a Division 1 player and had over 20 points on slashing drives and long threes. She is the daughter of Atlee Hammaker, the former ETSU pitcher that was an all star for the San Francisco Giants. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

I agree with you on this one coachh. The Lady Cyclones came ready to play tonight. Tonight's performance was much better than last night. We shot lights out : 15 of 23 from beyond the arc. But, even more impressive I thought was the fact we played defense with great intensity and rebounded the ball. CAK had a young, but quality team. I doubt they have experienced what they were exposed to tonight this year.

Edited by etownsparky

I will do the rankings tomorrow. The Lady Landers are moving up. I am enjoying the Kool Aid!

The future is bright for the Lady Landers. The Highlander's girl played good D. I forgot how quick she can be. Chambers and the freshmen; Wilson, Clark, Johnson, and McKinney played really good too. Overall it was a great team effort. Good job, ladies. :thumb: