Possibly be the worst call in the history!

smeagle1

I'm sure a complaint can be filed. Will it change anything? NO!! At the very least these refs should lose their CHECKS for that game. The only way to get refs out there that are serious about their work and not out there to simply make a little extra money is to hit them in their pocket!! IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE RULES YOU DON'T GET PAID

Rule 5 - 2010-2011 Case Book Page 42

5.6 Comment B: "If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended. It also applies when the foul occurs after the second half has ended, provided the score is tied. If the score is NOT tied, the free throws ARE administered unless the outcome of the game will NOT be affected. If the outcome is not already decided, the free throws are attempted immediately as if the foul had been part of the fourth quarter. The division line throw-in following the technical foul cannot be carried over to the overtime as the fourth quarter ended with the last free throw." See Rule (5-6-4)

That rule reads "If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. This applies when the foul occurs after any quarter has ended, including the FOURTH quarter, provided there is to be an extra period. If there is no way to determine whether there will be an extra period until the free throws are administered, the free throws are attempted immediately, as if the foul had been a part of the preceding quarter."

So, if the score was tied and the fourth quarter had ended, (as per your initial post) and the technical then occurred with the score tied, the officials erred in their decision. The shots should have been taken to start the overtime, and the shooting team should get possession opposite table to start the overtime period. I have been a high school official for twelve years, and always find unique rulings interesting. I hope this shines some light on the situation.

I was curious myself as to what the appopriate rule was and you answered it as clear as anyone could answer it. Thank you!

Well there you have it I stand corrected. Can a complaint be filed on this? just wodering

Yes a complaint can be filed and what should happen is the teams should be made to finish the game. However, I doubt the TSSAA will do anything.

I must admit I'm very surprised anyone thought this was the right call.

Yes a complaint can be filed and what should happen is the teams should be made to finish the game. However, I doubt the TSSAA will do anything.

I must admit I'm very surprised anyone thought this was the right call.

A lot of interesting stuff in this thread. First, I'm surprised smeagle that you were so certain that everyone should know this rule. I mean I'm impressed that anyone did because it's a very obscure rule and hardly as cut and dried as you made it sound at the beginning of this thread. I know lots of people that would have argued that this was the correct ruling and I don't mean just casual fans. Obviously reading this shows that it was not, but only after some good discussion followed by someone posting the exact rule. While it is unfortunate for Signal Mtn this is FAR from the worst call in history.

Second, it would have been nice (if the Signal coach was pleading his case - which you say he was - and I have no reason to believe otherwise)to see the officials just say, "ok, here is what we'll do. We'll let the Whitwell player shoot the free throws and then play the overtime. If we find out after the fact that we have made the incorrect ruling, Whitwell can protest and we can easily reverse the decision since we know if he has hit the free throws." This would have covered both scenarios because I do not believe it is appropriate to go back later to play 4 minutes of ball. Again, it is unfortunate, but then again, mistakes are made by officials every game that affect the outcome of close games. If we go back and replay this it opens the door for all one possession games to be "challenged and replayed" because of all "the worst calls in history".

Third, it is hilarious, but not surprising to read muffin's "the refs made the right call" response after the correct ruling had already been provided clearly showing that they had not. Seriously? Read the preceding posts before commenting! lol

The refs made the incorrect call and we all know that now, but one thing we're all forgeting is the reason we're even talking about this at all is because the Signal Mountain player lost is temper. The coach from Signal Mountain can complain all he wants, but it's his job to have his players under control no matter the circumstances. You can say well it's hard to control teenagers etc. and I disagree. Any horse can be tamed and if you threaten enough and show them and tell them what will happen if something happens you can gain control. I understand incidents happen but in big, important games a coach has to have his team focused and prepared for whatever may happen and have his team's temper under control. The refs made the wrong decision, but the reason a decision had to be made because a temper was lost.

Edited by swanson71
  • Upvote 1