NLI signees eligible to play?

BaldNBeautiful

I hate to throw this out into this forum but I have heard from a couple of sources (not the most reliable kind)that girls that have signed National Letters of Intent to play on the collegiate level (NAIA or NCAA) would not be eligible to play travel ball beginning this summer. I have my doubts about it but one parent insists that this is true, that their travel coach confirmed it.

Has anyone else heard anything like this and where is it coming from?

No, it is not true. Girls who have entered college are not eligible to play ASA or Premier, but it doesn't apply to those who have signed but not yet entered college. It appears that no prohibition for 18 year old players who have played college ball has been added to USSSA, NSA, or USFA rule books... so not only can signees play travel ball in those sanctions, so too can college players who meet the age requirements.

Where it is coming from? A few exposure and showcase type events have popped up recently which are specifically designed for unsigned and/or uncommitted players (haven't verballed). Signees/Verbals can still play with their travel teams in other events, showcases, etc., but are not allowed to participate in these specific events.

No, it is not true. Girls who have entered college are not eligible to play ASA or Premier, but it doesn't apply to those who have signed but not yet entered college. It appears that no prohibition for 18 year old players who have played college ball has been added to USSSA, NSA, or USFA rule books... so not only can signees play travel ball in those sanctions, so too can college players who meet the age requirements.

Where it is coming from? A few exposure and showcase type events have popped up recently which are specifically designed for unsigned and/or uncommitted players (haven't verballed). Signees/Verbals can still play with their travel teams in other events, showcases, etc., but are not allowed to participate in these specific events.

Has ASA changed 18A for this year? Last year 18yr old, 1st yr College Players, could not play Gold but could play 18A. So has ASA changed again?

Edited by Mr knowitall

• 3 months later...