Science Hill vs. East TN

Toppsportsfan

Science Hill must play with more intensity if they are to go to the state tourney. Their sophmores must step up their play on defense.I have seen them play The BRAC Champion Greeneville Greene Devils twice. They played great at home but their performance was lack luster at GHS. Officating is not consistent.

Basically what I want to know is...can anyone beat Science Hill in the area. Yes tn high beat them in the arbys...but on a tues/fri night, is anyone capable of beating them? DB has come up just short twice. Obviously if the toppers play bad on any given night anyone can win. But, if they are clicking can, anyone this side of Nashville handle them? Also...is it me or are the officials worse this year than ever? For everyone...not just sh...they seem to be bad on both sides...every night.

The competition is much better state-wide than it was when Pitts was coaching at SH. SH didn't have to "get up" for everyone they played because they were simply on a different level than most back in the early-mid 90s. There were very, very few teams in the state that could play with them back then. However, things change. The talent level in East TN(especially Knox)is much better than it used to be, and the talent level in Memphis is insane. Times have changed since Pitts was coaching at the Hill. As for your comment about SH no longer being relevant in AAA state anymore, that's laughable. SH made a name for themselves and that name has stuck. They still get plenty of talk state-wide every single year. Believe me I have family in Memphis, Nashville etc and the name SCIENCE HILL is as recognized as its always been when it comes to basketball in this state. They may not have brought a championship back to JC in a while but they established themselves as a state power years ago and they continue to be that and represent this area well.

The competition level was no different now than then statewide. Science Hill has always had talent,always will have talent. The coaching was the difference "then". The 90's teams were beating NATIONAL powers like Oak Hill Acad. And "laugh" all you want but they are not relevant statewide until they put another gold(or even silver) ball in their trophy case. Oh yeah, and stop letting small single A schools be compettitive with them in a game would be good too.

The competition level was no different now than then statewide. Science Hill has always had talent,always will have talent. The coaching was the difference "then". The 90's teams were beating NATIONAL powers like Oak Hill Acad. And "laugh" all you want but they are not relevant statewide until they put another gold(or even silver) ball in their trophy case. Oh yeah, and stop letting small single A schools be compettitive with them in a game would be good too.

Completely disagree with your comment about the talent state-wide having stayed the same in the last 15 years. That's ridiculous. The talent has only gotten better. As for the coaching, Pitts was/is a legend. The man was one in a million and the teams he coached at the Hill were one in a million. And last, little schools on the high school and college level have proven over the last few years that they can play with the "big boys" these days. Remember who played for the National Championship in Indy last year? Perennial Powerhouse Duke and a little-heard of school called Butler. Big, nationally recognized Duke barely beat little ol' Butler but at the end of the day all that matters is who got the W. And as far as I know the little school(s) that played SH tough, like Butler, didn't manage to get the W, but as it is in college, that's why we play the game.

Edited by AlumnI01

Completely disagree with your comment about the talent state-wide having stayed the same in the last 15 years. That's ridiculous. The talent has only gotten better. As for the coaching, Pitts was/is a legend. The man was one in a million and the teams he coached at the Hill were one in a million. And last, little schools on the high school and college level have proven over the last few years that they can play with the "big boys" these days. Remember who played for the National Championship in Indy last year? Perennial Powerhouse Duke and a little-heard of school called Butler. Big, nationally recognized Duke barely beat little ol' Butler but at the end of the day all that matters is who got the W. And as far as I know the little school(s) that played SH tough, like Butler, didn't manage to get the W, but as it is in college, that's why we play the game.

I haven't left...Im enjoying this quiet well! Good discussion so far.

Pitts was one of a kind, then Poe took the program down a notch or two....just watching to see how this one works out.

I agree with your statement about small schools...others on this thread would say that Duke didn't play good cause its hard to get up for the lil insignificant schools! :)

Edited by uknoit2

I haven't left...Im enjoying this quiet well! Good discussion so far.

Pitts was one of a kind, then Poe took the program down a notch or two....just watching to see how this one works out.

I agree with your statement about small schools...others on this thread would say that Duke didn't play good cause its hard to get up for the lil insignificant schools! :)

I dont think you really know much about S hill basketball.The progarm hasnt gone down Poe went to the state the first year he coached avg 25 wins a season.The coach there now has been to state in the short time his been there and has also avg 25 wins a season.Yes you are right no state championship BUT you should now its very hard 2 get there its a bonus if you win it @ thats in A AA AAA.I belive ANY coach or FAN would be happy to win 25 games a year and go to state every 2 or 3 years soon or later ateam will win one if they keep knocking on the door.You can look at your school in football there getting closer every year and i hope the kick the door down and do it one year.And for the record our record since 2005 is 170-45 I would say he"s coaching better good

Edited by jeffs

I dont think you really know much about S hill basketball.The progarm hasnt gone down Poe went to the state the first year he coached avg 25 wins a season.The coach there now has been to state in the short time his been there and has also avg 25 wins a season.Yes you are right no state championship BUT you should now its very hard 2 get there its a bonus if you win it @ thats in A AA AAA.I belive ANY coach or FAN would be happy to win 25 games a year and go to state every 2 or 3 years soon or later ateam will win one if they keep knocking on the door.You can look at your school in football there getting closer every year and i hope the kick the door down and do it one year

I know a lil bit more than you might think.

Poe was loaded with "trained" athletes....after that, it wasnt clicking. If you're a SH 'Poe' fan, you're one of the few!

Agree with the rest of your post

Edited by uknoit2

I know a lil bit more than you might think.

Poe was loaded with "trained" athletes....after that, it wasn't much to watch. If you're a SH fan, you can't disagree with that....Knew Poe VERY well...

Please tell me One down year that Poe had and I also know him very well Really hated to see him go. Now I think we have a good coach and he teaches more than basketball he teaches life after ball. Thats what I really like about coach Cutlip.As to coach Poe at least he stop and talk 2 the fans been watching S hill ball since 1990 I think Pitts talk 2 us 2 times GREAT coach but not a people person.And for the record I want all the locals to make STATE and win it every now and then Really would like 2 see a football championship just cant get by them Knox teams

Has the Hill's talent level gotten better? It only stands to reason that if it has gone up everywhere else, it has gotten better in J.C. too. The reason the Butlers of college basketball can compete is because they have kids that stay all 4 years and teams like Carolina,Kentucky and Kansas have a revolving door to the NBA. Those little ole teams are playing four years together instead of players coming and going every year or two. My point is that a team that has 400 kids in their school(lets say 1/2 of those are girls which leaves 200)and takes EVERYONE that comes out, Should not be able to compete with a school that has 2200(again 1/2 which leaves roughly 1100 boys) and has 5x the kids to choose from for their team. Comparing Highschool and colleges is apples to oranges anyway.

Has the Hill's talent level gotten better? It only stands to reason that if it has gone up everywhere else, it has gotten better in J.C. too. The reason the Butlers of college basketball can compete is because they have kids that stay all 4 years and teams like Carolina,Kentucky and Kansas have a revolving door to the NBA. Those little ole teams are playing four years together instead of players coming and going every year or two. My point is that a team that has 400 kids in their school(lets say 1/2 of those are girls which leaves 200)and takes EVERYONE that comes out, Should not be able to compete with a school that has 2200(again 1/2 which leaves roughly 1100 boys) and has 5x the kids to choose from for their team. Comparing Highschool and colleges is apples to oranges anyway.

I disagree with you it doesnt matter if you have 2000 or 100 if you get your feeder program going and teach the kids the game and they buy into the hard work you will have a program.This year Hampton competed with S Hill but not every year your acting as if small schools should never compete with large ones but they are years they will

Please tell me One down year that Poe had and I also know him very well Really hated to see him go. Now I think we have a good coach and he teaches more than basketball he teaches life after ball. Thats what I really like about coach Cutlip.As to coach Poe at least he stop and talk 2 the fans been watching S hill ball since 1990 I think Pitts talk 2 us 2 times GREAT coach but not a people person.And for the record I want all the locals to make STATE and win it every now and then Really would like 2 see a football championship just cant get by them Knox teams

Knew Poe in personal way for a looong time, wont go any farther.

I think Cutlip is a good coach and I also remember his press conference when he took over as coach..."I aim to bring back the winning spirit and attitude of SHHS basketball".

I disagree with you it doesnt matter if you have 2000 or 100 if you get your feeder program going and teach the kids the game and they buy into the hard work you will have a program.This year Hampton competed with S Hill but not every year your acting as if small schools should never compete with large ones but they are years they will

You are kidding me right. 2000 vs 100 to choose from doesn't matter? I agree with you all the way on the feeder and teaching kids the fundamentals but you are going to have 3-4-5- times the athletes to teach those fundamentals to. Yeah, small schools can compete with larger ones but only 3or4 years out of what 15-20? My point is that while smaller schools have a class or two of good and great athletes come through every 10 yrs, larger schools have them year in and year out. Not to mention the depth issue. For example: the year we were state runner-up in football(Cloudland) we scrimmaged TN. High and beat the pi$# out of them up and down the field.Yeah,I know it was only a scrimmage. But that team was a once in a generation team @ Cloudland but D.B., TN. High and Greenville have those kind (and even much better) teams every year because of the number of kids they can choose from.. I think we are argueing the same point just from different ends.