Lions Pride Grappling Open Registration

trickk

I think that the kids that are doing a lot better in middle tn are the ones with the money such as Ravenwood,

Independence, Franklin, Brentwood, and sometimes Hendersonville. The teams in the Clarksville area were doing

real good a few years back but now have only one powerhouse being the wildcats. The Nashville metro area schools have always been at a disadvantage bacause of most are from single family homes and cannot participate in a lot of after school activities. The other side with Blackman, Mt Juliet, Siegel, Tullahoma, Wilson Central, Cookeville are some real tough kids and seem to be improving each year. I don't think we will ever be able to be as good as Bradley and some of the other Chattanooga teams. If you looked at how bad they beat the teams that they faced in the state duals, its wasn't even close. I would say if you really want to be a champion, instead of going to these high dollar camps go to Chattanooga and see how its done.

Nearly every off season program charges between $50-$100 per month for EVERY location in the state. To be able to get great training, exposure to national champions, All Americans, and Olympic Wrestlers for $50 a month is ridiculously low. Let me put in perspective for you. Most parents will send their kids to a 3-4 day camp for the "Head Instructor" shows up on day one and tells some stories then turns it over to their college kids for $300-$400 for 10-20 hours of training. Not to mention that the information is crammed in and the retention is limited. Then they dont get to put into live situations and allowed time to be critiqued and instructed. Dont get me wrong, camps are great and i encourage my kids to go to as many as they can as they help. But to compare a camp for 10-20 hours for $300-$400 versus 3-4 MONTHS season/camp for less with highly credentialed coaches is a bit short sided on your part.

How its done is having your kids in programs where they are getting exposed to national athletes, instead of insulating themselves in the Chattanooga area and pretending that is the best wrestling in the world. The larger percentage of kids from all areas of this state that successful if asked would tell you they are traveling all over (out of state) to get better competition.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Trickk

I was wondering if there is any chance that you may have practice at BGA as well as Lipscomb. I heard that they were going to be at both locations but the flyer does not say that. I would lvoe to come and bring my son as well. I coach MS in Williamson County and my son wrestles in WC and we would love to go do you think it would be benificial if we could only make it two days a week.

Thanks and we really appreciate you bringing something like this to the area

Coach Trickk

I was wondering if there is any chance that you may have practice at BGA as well as Lipscomb. I heard that they were going to be at both locations but the flyer does not say that. I would lvoe to come and bring my son as well. I coach MS in Williamson County and my son wrestles in WC and we would love to go do you think it would be benificial if we could only make it two days a week.

Thanks and we really appreciate you bringing something like this to the area

we will have 3 practices a week at Lipscomb and an Open Mat for ALL Clubs in Middle TN at BGA on Sunday evenings.... In order to be able to participate in the Open Mat you need to be a member of one of the Middle TN Clubs, Lions Pride, Wasbo, or Nemisis.

thanks for your interest and I hope to see you on feb 22nd at our preseason meeting. remember, Coaches train for free so you can take that knowledge back to your wrestling room.

Thanks

Coach Trick

I don't think we will ever be able to be as good as Bradley and some of the other Chattanooga teams. If you looked at how bad they beat the teams that they faced in the state duals, its wasn't even close. I would say if you really want to be a champion, instead of going to these high dollar camps go to Chattanooga and see how its done.

I can't speak for Lions Pride in terms of quality of coaches or wreslters because I have not trained or competed with them. But, I respect what they are trying to do. The only way to improve the wrestling in any region (or state for that matter), is to have clubs like this that bring the best wrestlers from all acrosse the region, put them in a room together, and let them go at it. Teams can only improve so much by wrestling their own team. Clubs like this get wrestlers to step out of their comfort zone and improve. I wrestled in NC when I was in high school and training with Cardiac Kids out of Chapel Hill and I know that experience helped me out exponentially. And as Coach in West TN, I wish we had a club that was as active and inclusive as Lions Pride for my kids to work out with. Keep up the good work Lions Pride.

And as far as thinking "we will never be able to be as good as Bradley and some of the other Chattanooga teams," that's ridiculous. Keep wrestling in the off season, trying clubs, different wrestling styles, and bring that experience back to your teams and it will make a difference. It may not be next year or even in 5 years, but it will happen. Take a look at CBHS in D2. West TN has not competed with the middle and east TN teams. CBHS spent years, going to state duals and getting whipped twice and getting knocked out of the tournament. But, they continue wrestle year round and challenge themselves, and look where it's got them. State Finals for the last 2 years (and a match a way from winning both times). Its hard work, but Lion's Pride and clubs like them will get you over that mountain.

I can't speak for Lions Pride in terms of quality of coaches or wreslters because I have not trained or competed with them. But, I respect what they are trying to do. The only way to improve the wrestling in any region (or state for that matter), is to have clubs like this that bring the best wrestlers from all acrosse the region, put them in a room together, and let them go at it. Teams can only improve so much by wrestling their own team. Clubs like this get wrestlers to step out of their comfort zone and improve. I wrestled in NC when I was in high school and training with Cardiac Kids out of Chapel Hill and I know that experience helped me out exponentially. And as Coach in West TN, I wish we had a club that was as active and inclusive as Lions Pride for my kids to work out with. Keep up the good work Lions Pride.

And as far as thinking "we will never be able to be as good as Bradley and some of the other Chattanooga teams," that's ridiculous. Keep wrestling in the off season, trying clubs, different wrestling styles, and bring that experience back to your teams and it will make a difference. It may not be next year or even in 5 years, but it will happen. Take a look at CBHS in D2. West TN has not competed with the middle and east TN teams. CBHS spent years, going to state duals and getting whipped twice and getting knocked out of the tournament. But, they continue wrestle year round and challenge themselves, and look where it's got them. State Finals for the last 2 years (and a match a way from winning both times). Its hard work, but Lion's Pride and clubs like them will get you over that mountain.

Just since you brought up CBHS as a reference point I will point out that there is a club (maybe more than one) similar to Lion's Pride out in West TN. The West TN Takedown club is an open club based out of CBHS where a large majority of the CBHS wrestlers continue to compete. This club is not exclusive to CBHS as last year they had members from: Southwind, White Station, Bolton, and Cordova and those are only the other schools I can remember off the top of my head... in the past several wrestlers from other DI & DII schools have participated with West TN Takedown Club as well. They reject no wrestler due to where they wrestle.

Most of the clubs in West TN operate as open clubs but this is the one I am most familiar with since I help coach it.

not sure what you heard but I have been involved in FS and GR in this state for 5 years and I have never heard of FREE camps, when you come across them let me know, I will send my kids there as well. More importantly we have just as good of camps here in Middle TN with just as good of coaching. Its unfortunate that you haven't done enough investigation of the talent in this area to determine that.

You dont build winning organizations overnight and the issue with Middle TN has been the lack of promoting year round wrestling. Chattanooga embraces year round wrestling though various organizations and USA Wrestling being one of those for the older kids. If more schools and parents worked with local clubs like mine then we can change what the duals results look like. I for one applaud the Chattanooga area for sticking with the program and inviting and encouraging its wrestlers to do more than show up on November one and wrestle for 2.5 months.

So rather than take your kids to an area where the wrestling instruction is the same, support your local clubs that work their tails off with those kids that want to be successful. This year you will see a multitude of wrestlers that come out of the Middle TN area that are FS and GR wrestlers who train locally. I can tell you that you will see more that 30 out of 84 in D1 alone, that is a prediction but I'm sure i will be pretty close..

was your predictions wrong or did chat town just out coach all the greco and freestyle coaches that train wrestlers in middle tn? I would say that chattanooga is the wrestling capital in tn. good luck next year.