Hillsboro Football

SADSR

I am not sure that Franklin, Centennial, Brentwood, Ravenwood, are even in the same category as Maryville as far as competition goes????

Why is Maryville even in this topic? The region Hillsboro is in now is tougher than the region the 2 previous coaches played against. Don't get on here and ask for opinions if you do not want them. It is just an opinion and observation,just like yours. As for Maryville, they lost the past 2 years to a 3A team,just saying.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed he mentioned competition, and competition is just that, I don't care who you are, or where you play. If Maryville won 74 straight, why didn't Franklin, Brentwood, or anyone else for that matter in middle tn. play Maryville on an open date. I am sure they were looking for opponents. As with all programs that win, unless you have to play them, most choose not too. That is just my guess. But if you want to make excuses, I hear they are like other body parts, everybody has them, or can make them. Hello! Is anybody listening????????????
He mentioned region competition, not overall competition. There is a distinction. Your comparison of an occasional postseason opponent (Maryville) to what is now annual regional competition (Centennial, Ravenwood, etc.) in a discussion of what may be the difference between teams from different years is what is called a non-sequitur. Edited by rollredroll

Here is the reason. The last two coaches did not discipline the team like the coach that is there now. Players were allowed to get by with more than they are now. I am not saying they were wrong,they just had a different level of discipline. The coach that is there now holds the players to greater expectations and has suspended players for violations and kept them out of games. If winning is the most important thing, some coaches will let things go unpunished. To compare middle school kids to high school is not fair. When a boy gets in high school, their social life can get in the way.Also Hills boro is in a much more competitive region now.

Sounds like you are saying Aydellot and Blade's Hillsboro teams won State Titles without discipline. How do you know this to be true? I agree that the new region is harder, but i recall Blade choosing to play Franklin and MBA as non-region games.

Now we have some decent discussion going! However, I do believe that there are programs that do it the right way, and win year in and year out. It takes athletes, and coaches together. You can go from state to state, and there are always two ingredients to great programs. Great athletes and Great coaches! And yes there is always the occasional exception to the rule, otherwise there would be no "One Hit Wonders". I think the original question was what is the prospective future of the Hillsboro Football Program.

Sounds like you are saying Aydellot and Blade's Hillsboro teams won State Titles without discipline. How do you know this to be true? I agree that the new region is harder, but i recall Blade choosing to play Franklin and MBA as non-region games.

I have my ways of knowing just like you did. I think they both let kids get by with less discipline that present coach is allowing. Maybe why you aren't coaching anymore there yourself.

Now we have some decent discussion going! However, I do believe that there are programs that do it the right way, and win year in and year out. It takes athletes, and coaches together. You can go from state to state, and there are always two ingredients to great programs. Great athletes and Great coaches! And yes there is always the occasional exception to the rule, otherwise there would be no "One Hit Wonders". I think the original question was what is the prospective future of the Hillsboro Football Program.

If we are talking only wins and losses, we may not see that. But, if we are talking about kids being held accountable and being taught life lessons, we will see good results. Which one would you like to see?

You bring up an interesting point of contention in this profession. I am aware as Tony Dungy says that we are to model what we expect, and you must have rules and standards to run a program. I would think that you have to also take into question the background of the individual. We all should know that it can be very different growing up in different parts of any community. Ever heard the statement from across the tracks. Not everyone comes from the same upbringing. There is a great book "Seasons of Life" that everyone should read. This may be the season of life for winning in these young mens lives, and that may lead them to substantial character development, or at least buy in to that way of life. Losing is not always the best teacher of character development. You can catch more flies with sugar than with salt! Needs to be said!

You bring up an interesting point of contention in this profession. I am aware as Tony Dungy says that we are to model what we expect, and you must have rules and standards to run a program. I would think that you have to also take into question the background of the individual. We all should know that it can be very different growing up in different parts of any community. Ever heard the statement from across the tracks. Not everyone comes from the same upbringing. There is a great book "Seasons of Life" that everyone should read. This may be the season of life for winning in these young mens lives, and that may lead them to substantial character development, or at least buy in to that way of life. Losing is not always the best teacher of character development. You can catch more flies with sugar than with salt! Needs to be said!

I do enjoy the conversation and posts,just stating an opinion. This is what you wanted,conversation and thoughts.Is high school football all about winning or is it suppose to be more?

Edited by fb247

I just think that if you are going to be successful that there must be a balance of both winning and character development. Who wants character if you lose every year. I always hear about certain coaches, he can't win but he is great with kid's. Then I hear, he is only about winning, and no character development. Seems to me people are talking out of both sides of their mouth. Do you want a winner, or do you want a preacher, or can you be both? Surely most successful people have learned to have some type of balance in their lives and programs. "Once again we all know about the exceptions to the rule". Seems to me that there have to be some correlations to winning programs.

I just think that if you are going to be successful that there must be a balance of both winning and character development. Who wants character if you lose every year. I always hear about certain coaches, he can't win but he is great with kid's. Then I hear, he is only about winning, and no character development. Seems to me people are talking out of both sides of their mouth. Do you want a winner, or do you want a preacher, or can you be both? Surely most successful people have learned to have some type of balance in their lives and programs. "Once again we all know about the exceptions to the rule". Seems to me that there have to be some correlations to winning programs.

I agree you can do both. Programs that win consistantly,year in and out,probably do both. Some that just have a good team ocassionally probably don't. I do think with a new coach, it may take a little while for players to buy into the new way. Especially if they are use to an old way that is now different.

Edited by fb247