District 8AA

SWEETWATER

Rabbitranch and Oldkodger. I for one haven't heard anyone wish Coach Miller ill will or the players for that matter. Nothing I've read on this thread hints at that either. I have to agree to an extent with Bobcats though. Speaking of 'liar'? If anyone in the gym the other night doesn't think that performance was an embarrassment to Livingston Academy, maybe they are lying to themselves. And that has nothing to do with the loss, but everything to do with the players attitudes on the court. As far as Coach Melton in the last two or three weeks of his coaching at Livingston? Everyone knows it wasn't smooth. They were 3-6. Won't mention the stiff competition. Has it ever occurred to anyone that he may have been trying to establish some discipline with this group? . Broke a stereo? Haven't many coaches broken something? We all know he never endangered any kids. I'd say he and the kids know more about that than any of us who see them possibly a couple hours per week. So are you going to ignore the past 5 years and focus on the first 9 games? Seems like you are. Indefinite suspension? What does that even mean? How long is indefinitely? Would you accept suspension if you felt you'd done nothing wrong? I for one admire the fact that he played no attention to the politics that Bobcats mentioned. This group of kids obviously has major problems (how many techicals and intentional fouls have they been called for?) I'm not saying it's Miller's fault either. Melton refused to allow them to underachieve and be disrespectful. Kudos for that. Parents obviously were not going to allow their kids to be disciplined. And now it shows. It would be hard to argue that this team hasn't underachieved. Its a shame that people in Livingston have tried to ruin not only Melton's career but personal life as well. I heard complaints about his sideline antics. Lets pick every coach apart and we'll find something we don't necessarily agree with. All coaches yell at some point. Have you ever been to an LA football game and seen the coaches halfway out on the field berating the officials and players? Those coaches are still in place if I'm not mistaken. And lets compare their records to Melton's. All coaches get mad at some point. Here's the difference. Some are successful. Melton was. Whether or not Miller will be is yet to be seen. Bottom line: some people are never going to give up on arguing that it was time for Melton to go. They won that battle. Now look at this team. Numbers don't lie. I wish Coach Miller luck. He's going to need some. I'm not sure what's wrong with them, but I wish the players good fortune as well. What a mess! I'm afraid Livingston got rid of a very successful coach who could've straightened it out. Look who's coaching and his connections. Explain the politics out of that. Would I be a "liar" if I did? Or maybe that's just coincidental. Who really believes that? Lets grow up and stop slandering Melton. Good luck to what's left of this years team and season.

Edited by N2DEEP

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

N2DEEP, I dont want to give the impression that Im glad Melton is gone. Richard was a great mentor and was respected by his players and tru fans. I WISH he was still the coach and thats no disrespect to Miller. Most poeple dont know but Richard brought the whole ball team to my house after it flooded in August. He and those young men worked their hind ends off helping with the mess left behind. I was under my house in a narrow opening dragging out wet insulation, looked around and there was 6'9 Logan Ramsey right there with me. That was a life lesson to those boys and another way he mentored them in a positive way. I am forever in-debt to them. He was a great coach and person and we are missing him. At the same time this team needs our support!

I can assure you that I'm not proud of what happened with the coaching situation. I'd have much preferred that things had gone along smoothly and these things had never happened. If you'll go back in this thread and look at post #11, you'll find that I gave credit to the past coach. If you'll check my posts from past years, you'll find that I was among the first to defend him when he was unjustly criticized. When a child is out of control, it needs to be set down for a while to think about it's actions. Whether certain individuals want to admit it or not, that is the situation LA was in prior to the suspension and ultimate resignation of the past coach. He was given a chance to be set down and think about his actions. HE CHOSE TO RESIGN. Some individuals want to underhandedly blame the current coach for what has happened. As long as he continues to coach to the best of his ability, I will continue to defend him of unjust criticizm as I did the past coach. If it sounds as if I'm criticizing the past coach while defending the present, sorry about that, my only problem with him was the last 2 or 3 weeks he spent as coach. I may be the only one in the county who feels this way, but I believe if you took a poll of the unbiased fans, you'd find the same thinking.

He "CHOSE" to resign? Really? How much humiliation and abuse should someone take before saying I've had enough? Anyone with any self respect would've done the same thing. To have taken a suspension would have proven to those kids that they along with their parents, families, and every other idiot that thinks they no the only "right" way to coach had control rather than the coach. Why would they respect him if they thought having Daddy make some phone calls would get them what they want. Like Melton or not you can't argue his record. Study other coaches past and present and you'll have a hard time finding one that you'll always agree with, that doesn't have to discipline a group, or that doesn't do any of the things that the former coach was critized for.

And by the way, why is the majority of the talk still about LA? I can answer that. LA went from being one of the most classy groups of boys in the district to a bunch of unruly kids. I'm certainly not blaming any coaches for that one. When I played ball my father would have put a stop to that kind of behavior.

I'm certainly not qualified to determine who is to "blame" and I don't think it matters. For the sake of what's best for these kids a lot of people need to step up and truly do what's best for them. Whatever that may be.

Good luck to all these district teams!

Well SW guess you and Rabbitt get to meet afterall but just not 4 the championship. Good wins for DC and Upperman, good luck to both. Believe all four teams will make a little noise in the region!

oldkodger- If you bring the country Ham and Rabbitt brings the rabbit stew I will bring the spring water and I don't care which side we sit on! We may just sit in the back of my truck and listen on the radio. A lot of people are putting to much thought into this LA and coach Melton situation that is not there. A coach can only coach he cannot play. We missed over 20 shots in the paint the other nite against a very good Upperman Team which is were they are now.It just was not our nite! Good luck to everyone but it is still hard to beat a team 3 times just like Upperman beat us. LA watch out :popcorneater:

Just returned from my world tour and much to my surprise,

Shocked to learn about Coach Richard Melton's demise.

Was he not playing the right people's child,

Or did a temper tantrum get too wild?

I heard what was offered to him was completely unfair,

But injustices in this town certainly aren't rare.

Oh well, the dastardly deed has already been done,

The important thing is the new coach is a school board member's son. :thumb:

oldkodger- If you bring the country Ham and Rabbitt brings the rabbit stew I will bring the spring water and I don't care which side we sit on! We may just sit in the back of my truck and listen on the radio. A lot of people are putting to much thought into this LA and coach Melton situation that is not there. A coach can only coach he cannot play. We missed over 20 shots in the paint the other nite against a very good Upperman Team which is were they are now.It just was not our nite! Good luck to everyone but it is still hard to beat a team 3 times just like Upperman beat us. LA watch out :popcorneater:

I got to sit this one out, got a jr pro game. Your right it is tough to beat a good team 3 times. I beleive both teams will be hungry for a win, should be a good one. If we meet in the regionals I will bring the ham :thumb:

Just returned from my world tour and much to my surprise,

Shocked to learn about Coach Richard Melton's demise.

Was he not playing the right people's child,

Or did a temper tantrum get too wild?

I heard what was offered to him was completely unfair,

But injustices in this town certainly aren't rare.

Oh well, the dastardly deed has already been done,

The important thing is the new coach is a school board member's son. :thumb:

:thumb:

What are your predictions on the games tonight? Upperman should take a win over Dekalb. LA has only barely got by Cannon by 10 and 4, but I think they will pull off a win.

Cannon will beat LA. Upperman is easily shaken, York had them until the fourth quarter. It might come down to Cannon and DeKalb. In the end, Cannon will be the last man standing.