New Tennessee Girls AAU Format

As most of you already know Peanut is no longer running the Tn girls AAU program. When Peanut was the director, I think the sub-states cost $250. If you qualified for the state, it cost no additional money. The compettion level was normally high at the state tournament because the teams there had generally earned a trip there.

The new director has now set up a series of tournaments, all costing $200. You must play in one of these tournaments to qualify for state but that's ALL you have to do- just play in one of these tournaments! Then, you are rewarded with a trip to a state tournament AND pay another $350!!!

All these changes were made without a meeting of the AAU members. Of course at least three programs affiliated with the Flight were awarded one of these $200 qualifiers. Why pay $550 for what just last year cost $250 (sorry if I'm off on the cost of the sub-states).

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff huh? Also Peanut had no affiliation with any of the programs.....does this indicate that without any local representation that the state of Tennessee is being governed from Orlando?

While we are at it.......Any one else have a problem with High school coaches who also coach AAU ,pressuring their players to play exclusively for the program they represent?

Not illegal but unethical?

Would hate to think that my child played with a group for years and then forced to play with a different program just so they could play on their high school team.

Edited by Girlsrules22

Great stuff huh? Also Peanut had no affiliation with any of the programs.....does this indicate that without any local representation that the state of Tennessee is being governed from Orlando?

While we are at it.......Any one else have a problem with High school coaches who also coach AAU ,pressuring their players to play exclusively for the program they represent?

Not illegal but unethical?

Either play for their program or not play at all. Of course the parents are going to have them play for that program fearing a backlash come high school season if not. Rob, I know one of your former players may have to sit out the AAU season due to the player fees $500-$550 of the "sponsored" club coupled with the normal financial obligations of travelling, hotels, eating out, etc.

As most of you already know Peanut is no longer running the Tn girls AAU program. When Peanut was the director, I think the sub-states cost $250. If you qualified for the state, it cost no additional money. The compettion level was normally high at the state tournament because the teams there had generally earned a trip there.

The new director has now set up a series of tournaments, all costing $200. You must play in one of these tournaments to qualify for state but that's ALL you have to do- just play in one of these tournaments! Then, you are rewarded with a trip to a state tournament AND pay another $350!!!

All these changes were made without a meeting of the AAU members. Of course at least three programs affiliated with the Flight were awarded one of these $200 qualifiers. Why pay $550 for what just last year cost $250 (sorry if I'm off on the cost of the sub-states).

Couldn't agree more !

What a setup for the hosting teams. Non annointed teams are forced to pay $2oo to host teams inorder to qualify for the state. Wow...you don't have to travel and your competitors pay for your state and national expenses.

Edited by TwinCityT

Consider the fact that $5 is charged for each tryout you attend, even though there is no rental cost for the gym. You can probably answer your own question.

It's sounds like what Bobby Dodd wanted; get rid of Peanut and most all others in AAU girls basketball. Make more money and forget about the girls.

Edited by Hopi

I just don't think it is right for any high school coach to also run an AAU organization. That is crossing the lines. It becomes a money maker for that coaches school, it is a conflict with making your high school players play for your organization, and just an overall conflict of interest.

I would agree. Warning to parents looking to join a club headed by a high school coach....if your daughter is not attending the middle or high school of the coach...your 2nd in the pecking order !