9AAA District Final...wow

yort45

I feel like the posts about teaching children right from wrong are irrelevant here. I think some of you are missing the point, there is a big difference between District Champ and District Runner-Up. No one wants to be 2nd place. No one from Wilson Central hit an officer, as it has been clarrified twenty times by numerous people, it was an EXIT sign. When the police finally realized they had over reacted, they let him go. The main thing that should be addressed is the Athletics Director putting his hands on Conner Brandon. He doesn't even have the right to touch his own players. The point I'm trying to get to is that by everything else that happened after the horribly called game, people are letting the way others acted overshadow the real problem, THE SHOT WAS NOT LEGAL! HE ALSO TRAVELED BEFORE SHOOTING! No trophy has been awarded to either team. TSSAA is considering not giving either team a victory.

Is that the NFHS Rules Book for Basketball that you are referring to?

So once again i must state that i posted the same message several times because it was appropriate as a response. Reading is fundmental my friend! Now if you must know I was fortunate enough to have college paid for because of this beloved sport and having said that i am wondering how much you understand officiating. Because if you did you would know that there is one point in the game where logic must prevail and that is at the end of the game on buzzer beaters. Officials have the right to take as long as they need to make decision on buzzer beaters where they would typically congregate and discuss the call. Please read the TSSAA Rule book for officials I believe it is on page 62 Section 2 Rule #23 I believe. I can cofirm that for you if you would like! Kids get to be more emotional than adults once again that is this thing called "life"! As far as teaching the kids i would prefer to give mine this nugget "that a man/woman treats triumph and defeat the same and explain to him/her what that actually means! But just the like poem written by Rudyard Kipling I can’t help but ponder on the “IFâ€! What if three men held steadfast to their responsibility and did not waiver, what would have been the HONEST outcome! As someone who played the game I would also recommend not even mentioning the officials to your children I would recommend asking for the stat sheet and then count turnovers, missed free throws, shooting percentage, and deficit recovery! But what i will not do is let adults not hold other adults accountable for their mistakes. I am getting expensive with these lessons! hehehehehehehehe! As far as using the site I am not too concerned as long as you get my message. Sincerely, The Rookie Of The Year

I feel like the posts about teaching children right from wrong are irrelevant here. I think some of you are missing the point, there is a big difference between District Champ and District Runner-Up. No one wants to be 2nd place. No one from Wilson Central hit an officer, as it has been clarrified twenty times by numerous people, it was an EXIT sign. When the police finally realized they had over reacted, they let him go. The main thing that should be addressed is the Athletics Director putting his hands on Conner Brandon. He doesn't even have the right to touch his own players. The point I'm trying to get to is that by everything else that happened after the horribly called game, people are letting the way others acted overshadow the real problem, THE SHOT WAS NOT LEGAL! HE ALSO TRAVELED BEFORE SHOOTING! No trophy has been awarded to either team. TSSAA is considering not giving either team a victory.

So basically you had a minor touch a sign made of light metal and you had an adult touch a minor who was not his child nor under his supervision and these people want to discuss kids cursing and how the crowd allegedly responded. Now you see why i have been so matter of fact and brutal in my responses. This has nothing to do with the kids once that horn sounded........twice that is! Thanks for sharing your perspective!

I just want to know how long people think the officials should have conferred about the basket before leaving, without the use of any type of technology to determine the timing of the shot. The officials DID run together underneath the basket where the shot was made, but at that point the question is pretty simple, "Did you hear the buzzer?" No. "Did you?" No. "You?" No. The discussion may have been brief, if not extremely brief, but what other things are they supposed to discuss at that point?

I do not believe they made the right call, but I also don't think it was what they did after the buzzer that was the problem. During the timeout prior to the final play, there should have been a more efficient discussion as to how they were going to handle the end of game situation in a gym that was obviously loud and tense. They should have been better prepared to handle it, and again, I believe they made the wrong call, but I do not believe under any circumstance did they simply make the call because they were scared. After they made the call, yes, they ran out quickly (They were being chased!), but officials generally scoot out pretty quickly after most games, they just usually aren't looked for as fervently.

Also, I want to remind people that Wilson Central wasn't cheated out of the district title. What I believe to be a bad call prevented the game from going to a third overtime, but changing the call does not guarantee that WC would have won (especially with Oldham fouled out). I do not know whether the outcome would have been different, but the game should have gone to a third overtime, but people tend to forget that WC was not ahead when that call was made.

Poor call to end a great game and a great district tournament.

What TSSAA is being asked to consider and what they are actually considering are two different things (and video confirms there was no traveling violation on the play). Gallatin is the district champion and #1 seed, Wilson Central is the district runner-up and will be the #2 seed.

Good luck to both in the tournament.

Edited by smittygk00

I am a Gallatin alum and I think the shot was after the buzzer. The confusion was two-fold. One, the buzzer stuttered and no one knew what to think of that. Two, the officials made no call at all and everyone was left standing around wondering what the call was. The referees never made any signal other than making eye contact with each other before exiting. The most disturbing thing about this whole incident was the fact that an assisant coach from WC came running across the court chasing after the refs. Yes, the head coach for WC was behind him, but I honestly believe he was there to corral his assistant. As for all these accusations about the off-duty police officer being involved: Yes, he was out of uniform, as a police officer you are never truly off-duty as your number one goal is the safety and well-being of the people. In this instance, the officials were the ones that needed the protection and he was there to assist the other officers. 99% of the WC crowd was very civil, but to say the entire crowd was impeccable is false. One gentleman was thrown out midway through the 4th quarter and several (5-10) fans were out of control and had to be restrained by police after the game. It shouldn't matter who the police affiliation was that did the restraining, the point is being missed there. The fact that adults had to be restrained over the outcome of a high school basketball game is the most concerning thing. And yes #5 was cuffed momentarily after he hit the exit sign, NOT AN OFFICER, but was let go shortly thereafter. Overreaction? Maybe, but in the heat of the moment it was a split second decision that was meant to diffuse the situation. The whole ending to the game was built up in large part due to the referees. Throughout the first half WC was getting away with what was referred to earlier as streetball. Instead of calling the fouls, the referees were doing way too much counseling and talking to the players. So when the second half began, the Gallatin players I would assume were told to be much more physical. This, along with it being a District Championship game, led to the high-energy, emotional game that boiled over at the end. All in all, one minor mistake that was not a season-ending one, might I add, was followed by very poor decision-making on the part of the referees, players, coaches, and fans that put a damper on a great 9-AAA tournament.

listen closely and you hear the short buzzer then the real one both after the ball leaves his hands..

Please, I've watched this video several times. There is absolutely no way to tell either way if the ball left his hands in time or not. Not to mention the graphics are not clear enough to discern when the ball was clearly out of his hand. All this video does is stir the pot of an emotional issue already ongoing.

Please, I've watched this video several times. There is absolutely no way to tell either way if the ball left his hands in time or not. Not to mention the graphics are not clear enough to discern when the ball was clearly out of his hand. All this video does is stir the pot of an emotional issue already ongoing.

graphics has nothing to do with it you can see the ball in the air and hear the soft buzzer and then the louder one.

Edited by ghstennis

Maybe I misspoke. The young man's arm that completely blocks the view until after the ball is in the air. I realize it was an incredible ending, but your looking through rose-colored glasses if you think that there is no questionability to the shot.

I am not even convinced the buzzer sounded at the right time. If the buzzer stuttered (something that almost never happens), then I think it's logical to think that the buzzer did not sound correctly (something that almost never happens). I believe there was even a small issue during the consolation game before this game where the buzzer did not properly go off at the end of the first quarter (I believe).

If the horn did sound at the proper time, then the shot is definitely off in time. (But again, I'm not sure that happened)

I am not even convinced the buzzer sounded at the right time. If the buzzer stuttered (something that almost never happens), then I think it's logical to think that the buzzer did not sound correctly (something that almost never happens). I believe there was even a small issue during the consolation game before this game where the buzzer did not properly go off at the end of the first quarter (I believe).

If the horn did sound at the proper time, then the shot is definitely off in time. (But again, I'm not sure that happened)

The horn doesnt even matter to me, I was at the game and the call was so bad that I actually saw the clock on zero then looked back and saw the shot.