Knoxville Area Preseason rankings

easttnref

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For once, ref, we may actually agree, or at least come close to agreeing on something. I think Catholic is the top dog until proven otherwise. I think CAK can play with anyone this year. They are loaded! Hardin Valley, Bearden, and Farragut are all proven programs and whom ever survives will be a contender at state. I've heard some club players have decided to play year round. Most are younger players, but I thought Maryville may have lost a key player or two for this year. I think LC is in for a good season, along with SC once they are healthy again. Also, have to believe Webb has players to move up the rankings. Overall, any of these teams could beat each other on the right night. It will come down to who can consistently show up over the season. Wouldn't be surprised to see a name not mentioned here make a run.

Hope the boards come back with some chatter.

In all seriousness, what is everyones thoughts about these girls going to club over highschool?

Akula,

Your insight was greatly appreciated!

It's really a shame that TSSAA makes kids decide between club and school. A serious player with Division 1 aspirations should play club. I would also argue that fringe players that dream of college soccer should play club in order to be seen by as many coaches as possible. Rarely will you see college recruiters at a high school game. They are going to college showcase events and planting themselves in between fields to watch as many players as they can. Bottomline is that players should have a choice to play both, and not be penalized if they choose to do so. Everyone would benefit - high school soccer teams would get better and players would develop better.

It's really a shame that TSSAA makes kids decide between club and school. A serious player with Division 1 aspirations should play club. I would also argue that fringe players that dream of college soccer should play club in order to be seen by as many coaches as possible. Rarely will you see college recruiters at a high school game. They are going to college showcase events and planting themselves in between fields to watch as many players as they can. Bottomline is that players should have a choice to play both, and not be penalized if they choose to do so. Everyone would benefit - high school soccer teams would get better and players would develop better.

Wow...CC and I agree......

D

While I agree that Div 1 club is the best recruiting tool there is, I think it would be a nightmare to allow them to do both.

Imagine being the kid caught in the middle of two coaches that demand 100%. Even working with the club coaches (which we did in middle school) there were a lot of conflicts.

Plus it would multiply the "burn out" and injury factor. Girls are already playing near year round, and I see way too many injuries because of over playing. With summer camps (try outs) at colleges, they have very little time off.

I would rather the players choose one, and be committed to the one they decide to play for.

As far as ranking, I think Ref has it near right, with the top 5 or so shifting positions as the year progresses.

CAK is loaded this year, and picked up a really good freshman goal keeper.

Oak Ridge has been decimated with some injuries, and I think if those girls can heal, they will have a good team. I saw Bearden play, but it was just in a ref "scrimmage", so hard to judge.

Looking forward to a great year!

While I agree that Div 1 club is the best recruiting tool there is, I think it would be a nightmare to allow them to do both.

Imagine being the kid caught in the middle of two coaches that demand 100%. Even working with the club coaches (which we did in middle school) there were a lot of conflicts.

Plus it would multiply the "burn out" and injury factor. Girls are already playing near year round, and I see way too many injuries because of over playing. With summer camps (try outs) at colleges, they have very little time off.

I would rather the players choose one, and be committed to the one they decide to play for.

As far as ranking, I think Ref has it near right, with the top 5 or so shifting positions as the year progresses.

CAK is loaded this year, and picked up a really good freshman goal keeper.

Oak Ridge has been decimated with some injuries, and I think if those girls can heal, they will have a good team. I saw Bearden play, but it was just in a ref "scrimmage", so hard to judge.

Looking forward to a great year!

Your point raises the importance of a strong soccer community. High school coaches and club coaches should work together to ensure the burnout factor does not occur. Many high school coaches are also club coaches, so they would lead in this charge. Other states without this rule seem to handle player management without any nightmares. At the national team U14 player player camp last week, out of the 74 girls and 88 boys, guess how many Tennessee players were selected to attend?

In as much as I support the concept, the reality is that any college or college coach worth playing for will be coaching college players and not recruiting in the fall. So save your tears for another topic. They occasionally show up for states, but that may be because they failed to qualify for any post season play.....

Edited by Canesoverhere

In as much as I support the concept, the reality is that any college or college coach worth playing for will be coaching college players and not recruiting in the fall. So save your tears for another topic. They occasionally show up for states, but that may be because they failed to qualify for any post season play.....

Agreed, but that's not exactly the point. By not playing club in the fall, players are missing out on development time that players are in other states are getting. Do I understand that you think that the rule does not affect college opportunities for our players?