Soddy Daisy Invitational 2012

trojan35

My very first sentence I used the words "if possible", things could have been done differently so teams wouldn't have been loaded up on Saturday. I mentioned the umpires, once in a game delayed about 20 minutes, because one of the articles talked about how play was backed up Saturday so at least one field that was a small part of it. I mentioned the most disappointing umpire non-call/call I saw all day-among a lot of games I saw-because that led directly to a run in a 2-0 loss. Being down 1-0 is a lot different than being down 2-0 even if the pitcher is overwhelming. I never said playing the fourth of the day was a reason for the loss, just that it made it tougher. It would have made it tougher had the opponent been GPS, Central, etc playing their first of the day also. I wasn't specifically talking about playing SD fresh regardless of day, just in that spot on the schedule so the comment on trying to schedule them for pool play instead was ridiculous I'm sure that was understood but it was just an excuse to throw in another smart-aleck comment. I agree with Seymour, playing the sixth of the day after arriving early in the morning against SD in their third would have been a huge challenge and the schedule, somehow, should have made it more reasonable for any team advancing that far. All the pools looked as if they had a good mix of top level teams, teams on their way up and rebuilding teams/unproven teams, but I haven't seen any complaining about the pools so I'm not sure why that was brought up. All the talk about the weather and field repair time was unnecessary too, everyone understands things were delayed.

A swap of anyone playing their third Friday-even in a revised schedule, to Saturday morning, would have helped things. Without seeing the revised bracket it looks as if it would not have been a lot of trouble to do so. Those teams also would have received plenty of advance notice. That's not always been the case. One year a team was notified during the day their third pool game was moved to very late Friday night instead of around 4 or so. The reason-one of the locals had a school function and some of their players would be unavailable. Then after ending late they were back first thing Saturday. Another year, after an all-day delay, each of the teams playing around midnight, I can't remember if it was 6 or 8 teams depending on if all fields were used, was from out of town (Whitwell, Cleveland, etc) and some had to be back first thing Saturday. It's hard to believe that was a coincidence as none of the locals was still playing late.

I've been to plenty of tournaments where rain affects schedules but there always seems to be drama and controversy involved in this one, rain or not. Tournaments with just as much delay had much more reasonable elimination brackets and did not have teams with much more rest. The quality of teams participating is a reason most overlook such issues but you're fooling yourself if you don't think a lot of teams question whether they should keep participating. The condescending reponses on here to what should be looked at as constructive criticism (make your own bracket, hold your own tournament, etc), just add to the perception. I'm sure the response here will be "nobody's making any team participate" etc instead of figuring out ways to make things run better.

Here is my opinion, quit your bitchin about the bracket. If you don't like the way the "SODDY DAISY INVITATIONAL 2012" was ran, then why don't you call Clifford right now and tell him that you know EVERYTHING about how to run a tournament to perfection and get to working on in for next year! Trojan35 doesn't even have a daughter at Soddy Daisy anymore, she moved on the play college softball at ETSU, and his youngest daughter is still in 7th grade. He had no reason to need to run the tournament, but he did a great job last year and this year running the tournament!

As far as the Soddy Daisy and Sequatchie game. GET OVER IT! No one can go back and change that game, it is already in the books and done with. You can only control they way YOU play. Soddy cant control what the umpires do or do not do, and neither can anyone else! Soddy Daisy knows how to play ball no matter if it is their FIRST game of the day or their 5th game of the day. Winners FIND A WAY TO WIN, and that is why Soddy has 7 AAA State Championships! :thumb::flower:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was about what I expected..

1-I'm sure the coach could care less what anyone thinks, but a suggestion was already given on how things could have been done differently

2-One more time, the fourth game vs SD's first game wasn't the reason for the loss but it made it more difficult than what it was already going to be. I used that game as an example since it was the one I saw, Seymour had it even worse

3-Yes SD has a top level program not just a top level team. Has anyone argued that?

4-The umpire made the call. It was terrible. SD did not make the call. Did it allow a run? Yes.

5-I'm tired of repeating myself, if you don't get it still just go back and read the prior posts. Moving on.