DII-A West

Trojan Fan

Yeah, if SBEC beats FACS you get the 3-way tie in West 1. Assuming things go to form that would leave Harding with the best overall record (likely 8-2) of the 3 and that's the 2nd tiebreaker after head to head which would have been tied 1-1 for all three. Then the tie between SBEC and ECS would be head to head to SBEC. If SBEC were to beat St. George's (non-division game)in addition to FACS (in division) they could tie Harding for overall record but still would lose the HTH tiebreaker anyway.

Playing the two DII-AA teams and losing is likely what will cost ECS the #1 seed....besides losing to SBEC, obviously. I think you've got the teams slotted right. You never know what happens. Get a mud bowl type game like happened two years ago in the last regular season game, injuries, suspensions, etc....but it sure looks that way right now.

I dont think you can say that losing to the DII-AA teams cost ECS the #1 seed. Losing to (or getting beat by) SBEC cost them the #1 seed. My opinion is that one of the reasons why ECS and WEBB are so good year in and year out is they schedule very tough non division foes. It causes them to prepare year round for better competition. Yes, I do realize they have more students in the school than anyone else but there is more to football than just numbers. Those teams foster a big time football attitude by scheduling the way they do for non division/region games.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think you can say that losing to the DII-AA teams cost ECS the #1 seed. Losing to (or getting beat by) SBEC cost them the #1 seed. My opinion is that one of the reasons why ECS and WEBB are so good year in and year out is they schedule very tough non division foes. It causes them to prepare year round for better competition. Yes, I do realize they have more students in the school than anyone else but there is more to football than just numbers. Those teams foster a big time football attitude by scheduling the way they do for non division/region games.

warhawk, I think you hit the nail on the head with this quote. I think I huge reason as to why Webb and E.C.S. seem to be better than everyone else in this league is because they scheduled harder non-district games though out the year. Now, S.B.E.C. beat E.C.S. last week, (S.G. beat them last year) so you have to say that the competition is slowly but surly becoming more even each year. However, E.C.S. played C.B.H.S. and Briarcrest this season while Webb scheduled Maryville and Ensworth. Those are four teams that not a lot of teams in this state want to play. I think it hurts them during the course of the year from a win/loss standpoint but helps them tremendously when November rolls around.

I am sad that season is almost over but I am pumped up about the playoffs being just around the corner! I cant wait to see what unfolds!

Edited by thegood

I agree with you guys re: ECS playing CBHS and Briarcrest (really enjoy that rivalry in particular). I'd say the positives, particularly in the long term, outweigh the negatives. Exposure in the media, experience against opponents as good as and likely better than most in your classification. Same for Webb. They'll both be much the saltier for it come playoff time. It was more of a comment about the irony of playing the tough non-division schedule being the ultimate reason they'd lose a tiebreaker. It is going to bite them in that sense at least for this season although I won't be shocked if they put it together and make a big run regardless of the apparently tougher path they'll have to take to win it all. It's not like ECS suddenly turned into a bad team. As westtnman noted, USJ has to be rolling their eyes at how this appears to be playing out. What a "reward"....ECS in the quarterfinals possibly.

As a fan, I like to see the cream rise to the top but a little intrigue and uncertainty thrown in does create even more playoff anticipation for sure. Should be fun. Still no guarantees until the last 2 weeks play out (sorry, can't seem to stop repeating that). :)

Edited by Trojan Fan

warhawk, I think you hit the nail on the head with this quote. I think I huge reason as to why Webb and E.C.S. seem to be better than everyone else in this league is because they scheduled harder non-district games though out the year. Now, S.B.E.C. beat E.C.S. last week, (S.G. beat them last year) so you have to say that the competition is slowly but surly becoming more even each year. However, E.C.S. played C.B.H.S. and Briarcrest this season while Webb scheduled Maryville and Ensworth. Those are four teams that not a lot of teams in this state want to play. I think it hurts them during the course of the year from a win/loss standpoint but helps them tremendously when November rolls around.

I am sad that season is almost over but I am pumped up about the playoffs being just around the corner! I cant wait to see what unfolds!

ECS and Webb don't seem to be better, they are better year in and year out. You could add a couple more schools to that list as well like your aforementioned St. George's. True SBEC beat ECS this year, but the Trojans just happen to have a couple of extraordinary players right now, that success won't be annual. The fact is that these schools are better is because they have more students, which means more male students, to choose from. They also offer financial aid, which brings in even more players.

So let me get this right, you are saying that they are better just because they schedule CBHS and Briarcrest during the season? Based on that argument, do you think that Tipton-Rosemark, Bishop Byrne, and Rossville should go out and schedule MUS and Whitehaven? They wouldn't even be able to finish their season if they scheduled schools like that. Rosemark had to schedule Middleton just to win a game, and don't say that the numbers don't make a difference when TRA goes out every week with approximately 23 players. Bishop Byrne isn't much better, but yet you think they need to schedule harder.

I think it is ridiculous that the supporters of the schools like ECS, St. George's, and Webb don't realize how unfair it is for schools with only 75 to 100 boys in their ENTIRE high school to have to play against schools with numbers 3X that.

So maybe ECS and Webb would be a lower tier team in AA? Based on your philosophy, it should only take a couple years for them to be at the top since then they will get to play against top teams every week, instead of having games on the schedule against schools that can barely field a team. On the other hand, maybe then they will learn how Bishop Byrne and Tipton-Rosemark feel every single week.

Don't try and tell me that it is equal right now because St. George's and SBEC pulled off some wins. I want you to explain to me how it is fair for Bishop Byrne or Tipton-Rosemark or Rossville to have to play against ECS and Knoxville Webb.

Replying to the post about TRA, Bishop Byrne and the other very small schools. It is not fair that these schools have to compete with Webb and ECS in football because of the numbers. I applaud the young men and women of the smaller schools for their heart, soul and dedication. They practice and compete knowing they have very little chance, if any, to win a state championships in the major sports. Whats the alternative? Every private school made to play in separate division so you can have 3 classes of private schools and then lower public schools to 4 divisions? Or should TRA and Rossville and BByrne leave D2-A and play in 1A so they can be more competitive in their division like a Trinity Christian Academy is? Whats your solution?

Replying to the post about TRA, Bishop Byrne and the other very small schools. It is not fair that these schools have to compete with Webb and ECS in football because of the numbers. I applaud the young men and women of the smaller schools for their heart, soul and dedication. They practice and compete knowing they have very little chance, if any, to win a state championships in the major sports. Whats the alternative? Every private school made to play in separate division so you can have 3 classes of private schools and then lower public schools to 4 divisions? Or should TRA and Rossville and BByrne leave D2-A and play in 1A so they can be more competitive in their division like a Trinity Christian Academy is? Whats your solution?

TSSAA should move the dividing line between D2-A and D2AA down to about 350-375 students (it currently must be at 450 or even 500). Ensworth, Brentwood Academy and BGA all have fewer students than Webb (and apparently ECS, though I know virtually nothing about ECS) and compete against the "big boys" just fine, each having voluntarily moved up so as to compete against comparable teams. I don't blame Webb and ECS for playing in D2-A, but in my opinion, TSSAA should take that choice away from them. make them compete against comparable schools, and give some of the smaller schools a realistic chance to play for a gold ball.

Edited by RedRobin

ECS and Webb don't seem to be better, they are better year in and year out. You could add a couple more schools to that list as well like your aforementioned St. George's. True SBEC beat ECS this year, but the Trojans just happen to have a couple of extraordinary players right now, that success won't be annual. The fact is that these schools are better is because they have more students, which means more male students, to choose from. They also offer financial aid, which brings in even more players.

So let me get this right, you are saying that they are better just because they schedule CBHS and Briarcrest during the season? Based on that argument, do you think that Tipton-Rosemark, Bishop Byrne, and Rossville should go out and schedule MUS and Whitehaven? They wouldn't even be able to finish their season if they scheduled schools like that. Rosemark had to schedule Middleton just to win a game, and don't say that the numbers don't make a difference when TRA goes out every week with approximately 23 players. Bishop Byrne isn't much better, but yet you think they need to schedule harder.

I think it is ridiculous that the supporters of the schools like ECS, St. George's, and Webb don't realize how unfair it is for schools with only 75 to 100 boys in their ENTIRE high school to have to play against schools with numbers 3X that.

So maybe ECS and Webb would be a lower tier team in AA? Based on your philosophy, it should only take a couple years for them to be at the top since then they will get to play against top teams every week, instead of having games on the schedule against schools that can barely field a team. On the other hand, maybe then they will learn how Bishop Byrne and Tipton-Rosemark feel every single week.

Don't try and tell me that it is equal right now because St. George's and SBEC pulled off some wins. I want you to explain to me how it is fair for Bishop Byrne or Tipton-Rosemark or Rossville to have to play against ECS and Knoxville Webb.

This discussion reminds me of ECS and Briarcrest claiming state championships when they were the 2 lagrest teams in the middle division. That was before Briarcrest played with the big boys and before DII went to only 2 class sizes.

These kids arent looking for your sympathy they go out and practice thier hearts out and play friday for one reason, they love the game and every part of it. They take pride that thier squad plays an iron man game where they cant sub out or get hurt thier is no one to replace, they dont get breaks on special teams. If there needs to be another league to make them "competitive" thats one thing but these kids are out there for love of the game alone.

I don't think they need to split to 3 divisions. There is already not enough teams in these classifications anyways, with AA having only 12 teams in football and A having 22 teams in football. If you split this to 3 divisions, then there would just be 3 very small divisions where the district basically makes up the entire state.

I think that they should lower the enrollment line enough to move up schools like ECS and Webb, then possibly USJ, St. George's, or FRA (I don't really know which of the other schools are bigger). Move up about 4 of those teams and get the balance to about 16 in AA and 18 in A.

Could 8 man football be an option for those schools I agree that tra and Byrne kids get screwed in the way the current system is set up. I also agree that maybe division Ia would be better. Trinity christian is on average about as good as a rossville and they are competitive almost every year in their classification. Also does usj with the win last Friday earn them any bragging rights as the best team in the west having beaten ecs sgis and sbec this season