Obion is calling the game bc of Rain

sonofmandingo

A cousin of mine was telling me that there was a buzz up in troy last night talking about moving the game before the rains came. I am not blaming the kids... they I am sure would want to play.

I'm sure its a $$ thing. Administration probably feels like more will come for Game and senior night if no chance of rain. I assure you That the players and the parents of football players as well as coaches wanted this game played tonight. Normal Thursday night things Like feeding players etc... was all done last night. This Was NOT premeditated, administration made the call a couple hours ago. Weather we Like it or NOT its done deal. Complain to Your coach, stop insulting any of these kids!!!

I'm sure its a $$ thing. Administration probably feels like more will come for Game and senior night if no chance of rain. I assure you That the players and the parents of football players as well as coaches wanted this game played tonight. Normal Thursday night things Like feeding players etc... was all done last night. This Was NOT premeditated, administration made the call a couple hours ago. Weather we Like it or NOT its done deal. Complain to Your coach, stop insulting any of these kids!!!

It can be argued that a Thursday game regardless of conditions will produce a good gate because the target market is all West Tennessee High School football fans, regardless of their allegiances. Now hundreds of people that were going to see tonight's game and go see "their" team play can't. I think most of this call was for strategic purposes of the game not the gate. Dyersburg is one of "my teams" fiercest rivals. Now I hope the Trojans destroy them on principle alone!

Coach Jackson's Resume

Past Coaching Experience:

2001 - Offensive coordinator at Hayti High School, Hayti, MO.

2003 - Offensive coordinator at Caruthersville High School, Caruthersville, MO.

2004 - Offensive/recruiting coordinator at Blytheville High School, Blytheville, AR.

2005 - Head coach at Hayti High School, Hayti, MO.

2006 - Director of Football Recruiting at the University of Missouri, Columbia, MO

2007 - Offensive Coordinator at Lindenwood University, St. Louis, MO.

2008 to Present- (16th) Head Football Coach of Obion County Central High School, Troy, TN.

COACHING AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS:

2001 - Hayti High School... Won Conference, District and Sectional Titles.

2002 - Hayti High School...Won Conference, District, Sectional and Semifinals.

2003 - Caruthersville High School... Won Conference Championship Title.

2005 - Hayti High School... Won Conference Championship Southeast Missouri.

2005 - Named Southeast Missouri Coach of the Year.

2007 - Lindenwood University... Won Heart of America Championship Title.

2007 - National Top Ten Offensive Title in All Offensive Categories at Lindenwood University.

2009 - Led the Rebels to just the 10th winning season in school history (since 1961).

- Broke a 20 game losing streak.

- Scored the most points in school hystory in a playoff game.

2010 - The First Coach to lead the Rebels in back to back playoff appearences. This was only the 2nd time in school history the Rebels accomplished this. Under Coach Jackson, the Rebels also led the Conference in passing and total offense.

2011 - Initiated the 1st Annual Ross Shelton " Be an 11" Scholarship Award in which four OCCHS football seniors are awarded football scholarships to aid in futhering their scholastic careers.

2001 - 2011 - sent almost 40 kids to college on football scholarships during his coaching career.

WHY DID YOU BECOME A FOOTBALL COACH? My high school career was bad to say the least. In truth, I just wanted to go back to Hayti and right the wrong. I never really thought about winning and losing. My gratification comes from seeing kids do well. I know it sounds cliche', but I just wanted to make a change in kid's lives. So far, I have loved every minute of it.

WHO HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON YOUR COACHING CAREER? Matt Eberflus of the Cleveland Browns trusted me; Barry Odom of the University of Missouri befriended me, and Rick Jones of Greenwood High School taught me.

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENT? Coaching my brother Derek to a state championship in baseball is one of my fondest achievements. I think sending almost 40 players to college on football scholarships is one of the things that I am most proud of. That said, I think my biggest contribution has been my offensive philosophy and how many schools it has touched over the years. As we speak, Lindenwood University, Upper Iowa University, McMurry College, and several high schools in Missouri have been very successful on a national and high school level running it.

WORDS TO MY PLAYERS: "In this life, you are either the hammer or anvil."

Words to opposing Coaches - If there is more then a 25% chance of rain I will cancel the game. I will hammer you, and will be bush league if I have too!

It can be argued that a Thursday game regardless of conditions will produce a good gate because the target market is all West Tennessee High School football fans, regardless of their allegiances. Now hundreds of people that were going to see tonight's game and go see "their" team play can't. I think most of this call was for strategic purposes of the game not the gate. Dyersburg is one of "my teams" fiercest rivals. Now I hope the Trojans destroy them on principle alone!

i thought about going to this game...but i wont sit thru rain and cold to watch teams that i dont care about go at it...so the weather changed my plans...as did the world series being moved...im sure im not the only one who feels this way...so saying that they lost fans because of the move to friday is a lost point...unless ur a fan of either of these teams ur prolly not gona sit through crappy weather to watch them play...

and once again...mandingo...nothing useful to say about the game or even the thread that u started...just insults...lame...

Thursday night games rarely if ever draw a bigger crowd.

yet another victim...finally...should i attack ur lack of intelligence or stick to the thread about football...seems u couldnt...just upset and have to attempt to throw insults...speaking of real men and pads...how bout that maxi that chris johnson is trying to play with...see what i did there...same thing as u...but u dont understand it...just some random tangent...guess what buddy...neither one of these teams is the green bay packers...neither one of them is even the district champion...if dyersburg didnt want the game date to change they shouldnt have agreed to it...its that simple...real men stick to their guns...this is all about $$$...both teams believe they will bring in more $$$ on a friday that is cold instead of a thursday that is wet and cold...i know its hard for u to believe that this world revolves around $$$...but it does...even at the high school level...

as for ur bashing of my name and the sport of tennis...football is a game played over the course of 3 hours in spurts of 4-8 seconds with at least 30 seconds in between plays...unless ur the oregon ducks...and most of ur players only play half the time at that...yet in tennis...its constant sprinting and swinging as hard as u can anywhere from 2-5 hours at a time with a max of 20 seconds between points...and no one to sub in for u when u get hurt...the fact that u bash it only shows that u have no respect for other sports and athletes...or ur just a fat lineman who cant run and isnt coordinated enough to play another sport...regardless...u can take ur opinion and shove it up there with that pad u keep talking about

I agree about the Chris Johnson thing I don't consider every player a mentally tough player and don't think everyone is cut out for the game, Some players in the NFL play for money and not the game anymore thats why I don't watch much NFL not unless I'm watching old team mates of mine or the players I've coached. And no they are not the Green Bay Packers and will never be but The only person that agreed to the change was Obion not Dyersburg. Dyersburg tried to keep it for tonight but couldn't because the state agreed with Obion about the game since it was thursday. People say it's because of $$$ sorry but since your the only game on a thursday then you will draw more of a crowd from surrounding areas. Many of my friends who are still coaching in this area all said they were coming to the game because of the play of both teams this year. So you lose $$$. Good Call. I understand if was just raining real hard at that time so you wouldn't have the seniors and their parents out on the field but the rain is done for the day maybe a sprinkle or two here and there but its done. Sources from inside Obion say they needed another day of preparation. Call it how it is "TERRIBLE." Yeah tennis you run around for awhile but you don't have 15 to 20 lbs of pads on. Your not having to have physical contact on another force that is as big as you just a little green fuzzy ball. Plus you hitting a ball with a racquet. Thats like being in a fist fight and has to use a weapon in order to stop getting your tail whipped because you can't take it like a man. In football its just who is bigger, stronger, more physical, more mentally tough, technician of fundamentals and who wants it more. I respect every athlete in sports but there is no way possible you can compare tennis and football. Tennis is a endurance game and football is physical with endurance and mental toughness. You are right about the injury but all my years of coaching all levels of football its the ones who have no mental toughness who can play through it. Its the same with all sports.

P.S. How many people from around the world tune in to the Super Bowl or NCAA Football Championship as opposed to your so called Wimbledon?

When you set a game to a date then I do not feel that you should be allowed to change the date of that game unless lightning or death is the cause.

Sickness to a key player or wet playing surface is not a valid excuse. I don't care how much it affects the gate revenue. When you set a date then that should be final.

If I were coaching Dyersburg I would make Obion forfeit the game before I allowed the date to be moved to tomorrow night.

If you were the Dyersburg Head Coach and "make Obion forfeit" than that would make you a fool's coach! (sorry Olddevil) Next year, when this game is scheduled for a Thursday night and inclimate weather approaches...you too would like the same latitude to ensure your school's athletic program be afforded the best opportunity to host the biggest crowd possible to boost your overall athletic budget which trickles down to each and every team on the school's campus! Your beliefs that lightning or death should be the only reason for postponement of a game is possibly a primary reason that you don't have a vote in these matters!