CPA Upsets Notre Dame in A-AA Semis

bbb

For Christ Presbyterian Academy, the Cinderella girls soccer season continues, the glass slipper still fits and the chariot has yet to turn in to a pumpkin.

CPA outlasted defending D-I A-AA champion Notre Dame Friday night winning on penalty kicks, 5-4.

Basketball player-turned-goalkeeper Meredith Roman stopped Notre Dame's sixth shot by Sophie Mullin to win the match and send the Lions into Saturday's championship match against Christian Academy of Knoxville (3-0 winner against Chattanooga Christian) at 11 a.m. at GPS.

"We graduated 10 seniors who were major contributors last season so we were not expected to be here, but we are," said CPA coach Brandy Gagliano.

"This win was payback and revenge as Notre Dame beat us on this field (Chattanooga Christian School) in the state quarters last season."

Notre Dame beat CPA, 2-1, in sudden death a year ago today.

After 110 minutes of scoreless play tonight, the teams went to penalty kicks with CPA making five of six, with the Irish finding the back of the net on four of six attempts.

Scoring goals for CPA were Madi Andres, Mary Morgan Smith, Michaela Lee, Abi Kania and Meagan Roach which proved to be the winner. Lindsay Curtis was the only CPA player to miss her PK.

Notre Dame scorers were Ashley Henry, Liz Kidwell, Lacey Mahoney and Laura Champion. Gaby Gurrola and Mullin had the misses.

"This was a close match between two evenly-matched teams and they made one more kick than we did and that was the difference," said Notre Dame coach Jim Schermerhorn whose team ended the season at 8-12-2.

"We had a great season, but this is a tough way for the girls to end it."

CPA (12-7-4) lost to the enventual winner the past four years, including the Irish in last year's quarters.

CPA 0, Notre Dame 0

CPA 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 0

ND 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 0

CPA wins on PKs, 5-4

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For Christ Presbyterian Academy, the Cinderella girls soccer season continues, the glass slipper still fits and the chariot has yet to turn in to a pumpkin.

CPA outlasted defending D-I A-AA champion Notre Dame Friday night winning on penalty kicks, 5-4.

Basketball player-turned-goalkeeper Meredith Roman stopped Notre Dame's sixth shot by Sophie Mullin to win the match and send the Lions into Saturday's championship match against Christian Academy of Knoxville (3-0 winner against Chattanooga Christian) at 11 a.m. at GPS.

"We graduated 10 seniors who were major contributors last season so we were not expected to be here, but we are," said CPA coach Brandy Gagliano.

"This win was payback and revenge as Notre Dame beat us on this field (Chattanooga Christian School) in the state quarters last season."

Notre Dame beat CPA, 2-1, in sudden death a year ago today.

After 110 minutes of scoreless play tonight, the teams went to penalty kicks with CPA making five of six, with the Irish finding the back of the net on four of six attempts.

Scoring goals for CPA were Madi Andres, Mary Morgan Smith, Michaela Lee, Abi Kania and Meagan Roach which proved to be the winner. Lindsay Curtis was the only CPA player to miss her PK.

Notre Dame scorers were Ashley Henry, Liz Kidwell, Lacey Mahoney and Laura Champion. Gaby Gurrola and Mullin had the misses.

"This was a close match between two evenly-matched teams and they made one more kick than we did and that was the difference," said Notre Dame coach Jim Schermerhorn whose team ended the season at 8-12-2.

"We had a great season, but this is a tough way for the girls to end it."

CPA (12-7-4) lost to the enventual winner the past four years, including the Irish in last year's quarters.

CPA 0, Notre Dame 0

CPA 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 0

ND 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 0

CPA wins on PKs, 5-4

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

B. B--An upset? Really? Did you take a look at the win-loss records of these teams and quality wins? On what basis was Notre Dame the favorite?

B. B--An upset? Really? Did you take a look at the win-loss records of these teams and quality wins? On what basis was Notre Dame the favorite?

Records-Schmecords.....According to CoachT strength of schedule....(Do the math)

CPA:

Record: 10-8-4 (4-0-2)

Strength Rank: 39th

Schedule Rank: 23rd

ND:

Record: 8-12-2 (3-1)

Strength Rank: 33rd

Schedule Rank: 13rd

And the game stats?:

SHOTS: CPA - 2; Notre Dame - 10.

SAVES: CPA - 7 (Meredith Roman); Notre Dame - 1 (Grace Courter).

FOULS: CPA - 5; Notre Dame - 18.

CORNER KICKS: CPA - 3; Notre Dame - 0.

PK's: CPA - Madie Andres, Mary Morgan Smith, Michaela Lee, #9, Megan Roach; Ashley Henry, Liz Kidwell, Lacey Mahoney, Laura Champion.

RECORDS: CPA (12-7-4); Notre Dame (8-12-2).

Maybe not a heavy favorite, but certainly favored...Good game, ND did control 75% of the game...ND has had trouble getting balls into the back of the net most of the season....

After watching CPA-CCS last night, I would say that CAK is HEAVILY favored against CPA....

D

Edited by CHAMPDDS

My reasoning. ND is defending state champs with most of their players back ... CPA has had a cinderella season according to their coach, not me . lost 10 key players to graduation from last year's team.

ND had been in the finals in 2009 and 2010 with many of the players in the match last nite.

Here are some of the Irish losses ...

lost to Soddy Daisy (19-3-2) on the road (2-1) who made the AAA semis, lost at GPS (3-1) on the road with a goalkeeper now playing in South America in a U20 World Cup qualifying tourney, lost to Baylor on the road (4-0) who is top 10 in the nation, lost 1-0 to the defending D-II A champs USJ, lost to Bearden on the road (6-0) who made the AAA state quarters losing to Franklin on Wed .. lost three close matches to CCS (all 1-0) who also made the D-I A-AA semis ... tied Cleveland on the road (0-0) who was second in the region to SD .. tied St. George's who is in the D-II A semis

pretty tough schdedule and a losing record can be deceiving .. and went on the road and won playoff matches at Livingston Academy and East Hamilton .. both those teams had winning records ..

b.b.b.

Edited by bbb

My reasoning. ND is defending state champs with most of their players back ... CPA has had a cinderella season according to their coach, not me . lost 10 key players to graduation from last year's team.

ND had been in the finals in 2009 and 2010 with many of the players in the match last nite.

Here are some of the Irish losses ...

lost to Soddy Daisy (19-3-2) on the road (2-1) who made the AAA semis, lost at GPS (3-1) on the road with a goalkeeper now playing in South America in a U20 World Cup qualifying tourney, lost to Baylor on the road (4-0) who is top 10 in the nation, lost 1-0 to the defending D-II A champs USJ, lost to Bearden on the road (6-0) who made the AAA state quarters losing to Franklin on Wed .. lost three close matches to CCS (all 1-0) who also made the D-I A-AA semis ... tied Cleveland on the road (0-0) who was second in the region to SD .. tied St. George's who is in the D-II A semis

pretty tough schdedule and a losing record can be deceiving .. and went on the road and won playoff matches at Livingston Academy and East Hamilton .. both those teams had winning records ..

b.b.b.

Hats off to ND for scheduling good teams but a tough schedule does not make one a favorite. Any team can play a tough schedule and lose lots of games.

I met a CPA parent last night who's daughter was finally eligible to play in last nights game due to her one year wait after transferring from Brentwood Academy....not who she was,but wonder if she is a major player now for them?

On Wednesday, we overheard a couple of CPA students talking about losing first 8 games and then there winning streak started after two transfers were eligible to play? I had forgotten about this until I saw this post. I am not sure who the two players were, but evidently are contributors.

Edited by HighlanderSoccer

Hats off to ND for scheduling good teams but a tough schedule does not make one a favorite. Any team can play a tough schedule and lose lots of games.

they were a favorite because they were defending champion and returned most of their players. pretty easy to figure that one out.

as was stated at the first of the last post ... maybe others should playe SD, Baylor and Bearden on road and CCS three times and let's see the outcome.

b.b.b.

they were a favorite because they were defending champion and returned most of their players. pretty easy to figure that one out.

as was stated at the first of the last post ... maybe others should playe SD, Baylor and Bearden on road and CCS three times and let's see the outcome.

b.b.b.

It seems more sensible to grant favorite status based on results from the current season rather than past seasons. Losing games to SD, Baylor, Beardon and CCS 3 times will certainly help raise your CoachT strength of schedule rating but I'm still not sure its a good criterion for granting favorite status.

In any case, I have enjoyed your articles and thank you for your efforts in promoting girls soccer.

Interesting that in the other thread concerning Madison (which is an avg team at best) the ND fans defend their team and point to a picture from the madison game like they are the thugs, the reason for the card and the reason they struggled to beat Madison....yet look below in this game you see fouls 18 for ND to only 5 for the opponent..Can CPA say ya'll were dirty? 18 fouls?..FYI,your team across the state is known to be a "physical/dirty team" ....I hope it's fair if you can take one snap photo and paint a whole game that I can take one official stat line and paint a similar picture...just sayin...

I will compliment ND and say that playing a good schedule definitely prepares you for the playoff run. (see last year) When you play teams like Bearden, Baylor, Rivals tournament, etc you are easily prepared to make a deep run in your state bracket...Madison I think played usj and after that basically played no one.

this board needed some juice so here you go...

Records-Schmecords.....According to CoachT strength of schedule....(Do the math)

CPA:

Record: 10-8-4 (4-0-2)

Strength Rank: 39th

Schedule Rank: 23rd

ND:

Record: 8-12-2 (3-1)

Strength Rank: 33rd

Schedule Rank: 13rd

And the game stats?:

SHOTS: CPA - 2; Notre Dame - 10.

SAVES: CPA - 7 (Meredith Roman); Notre Dame - 1 (Grace Courter).

FOULS: CPA - 5; Notre Dame - 18.

CORNER KICKS: CPA - 3; Notre Dame - 0.

PK's: CPA - Madie Andres, Mary Morgan Smith, Michaela Lee, #9, Megan Roach; Ashley Henry, Liz Kidwell, Lacey Mahoney, Laura Champion.

RECORDS: CPA (12-7-4); Notre Dame (8-12-2).

Maybe not a heavy favorite, but certainly favored...Good game, ND did control 75% of the game...ND has had trouble getting balls into the back of the net most of the season....

After watching CPA-CCS last night, I would say that CAK is HEAVILY favored against CPA....

D

Interesting that in the other thread concerning Madison (which is an avg team at best) the ND fans defend their team and point to a picture from the madison game like they are the thugs, the reason for the card and the reason they struggled to beat Madison....yet look below in this game you see fouls 18 for ND to only 5 for the opponent..Can CPA say ya'll were dirty? 18 fouls?..FYI,your team across the state is known to be a "physical/dirty team" ....I hope it's fair if you can take one snap photo and paint a whole game that I can take one official stat line and paint a similar picture...just sayin...

I will compliment ND and say that playing a good schedule definitely prepares you for the playoff run. (see last year) When you play teams like Bearden, Baylor, Rivals tournament, etc you are easily prepared to make a deep run in your state bracket...Madison I think played usj and after that basically played no one.

this board needed some juice so here you go...

I found the picture comical, as she is one of our smallest players...Gee Whiz Frances...

Edited by CHAMPDDS