Franklin vs Baylor

FutbalFan

First, Congrats to both teams. Great soccer, a joy to watch. :thumb:

Some comparisons using Eurosport stats (I hope they are right):

Records:

Franklin 24-0-0 ESPN #7 NSCAA #10

Baylor 19-1-0 ESPN #6 NSCAA #7 (Loss 1-0 at Zionsville Invitational in Indiana)

Signature Win:

Franklin vs Farragut (ESPN #13)

Baylor vs Strongsville, Ohio (ESPN #8, ESPN #1 at the time)

Goals For:

Franklin 130 ave = 5.4

Baylor 74 ave = 3.7

Goals Against:

Franklin 7 ave = 0.29

Baylor 4 ave = 0.20

Championship Game Stats:

Franklin wins 3-0, shots: for 12, against 6

Baylor wins 2-0, shots: for 11, against 6

After watching both teams in Chattanooga, I'd say it's a toss-up and would probably be determined on a set play goal after a scramble in box.

And wasn't it a great week for soccer in Chattanooga !! Great location, Great fields.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I posted elsewhere, I thought Baylor played better yesterday than in many a year -- maybe going all the way back to their glory days a decade ago when they won four titles in a row.

It was textbook soccer til up near the end, especially on the defense: relentleslys pressing, pressing, pressing. Tenny Butler completely shut down St. Agnes's start forward by not giving her an inch of space to turn in. But then the same could be said of all the rest of her teammates. It was quite a show, impressive, a sheer pleasure to watch.

1320590435[/url]' post='2726269']

As I posted elsewhere, I thought Baylor played better yesterday than in many a year -- maybe going all the way back to their glory days a decade ago when they won four titles in a row.

It was textbook soccer til up near the end, especially on the defense: relentleslys pressing, pressing, pressing. Tenny Butler completely shut down St. Agnes's start forward by not giving her an inch of space to turn in. But then the same could be said of all the rest of her teammates. It was quite a show, impressive, a sheer pleasure to watch.

This is definitely the best Baylor team I have witnessed and the best high school team I have ever witnessed. If they have a weakness, it's not represented on the field.

Reminds me of the old Animal Planet Faceoff TV Show.

The two Tennessee megaliths have played three times in their storied history.

Of course, Franklin won one game, and Baylor won one game, and they tied the other time.

1993 8-0 Franklin

1999 1-1 Tie

2002 1-0 Baylor

Looking at their schedules, they play most of the same private school opponents year in and year out; too bad they don't get around to playing each other any more frequently than they do.

Here's how they faired this recently, verses against same-played opponents.

8-0 Franklin, 6-0 Baylor vs Station Camp

3-1 Franklin, 5-1 Baylor vs BGA

5-0 Franklin, 6-0 Baylor vs PJPII

6-0 Franklin, 4-0 Baylor vs Harpeth Hall

3-0 Franklin, 2-0, 3-0 Baylor vs Father Ryan

9-0 Franklin, 3-0 Baylor vs Ensworth

2-0 Franklin, 4-0 Baylor vs McMinn Co

2-2 Franklin, 2-1 Baylor vs CPA

2-1 Franklin, 1-0 Baylor vs Ravenwood

3-0, 3-1 Franklin, 1-0 Baylor vs Father Ryan

5-0 Franklin, 4-0 Baylor vs Harpeth Hall

3-2 Franklin, 6-0 Baylor vs PJPII

1-0 Franklin, 1-0 Baylor vs BGA

2-1 Franklin, 2-0 Baylor vs Riverdale

3-0 Franklin, 1-0 Baylor vs Collierville

1-0 Franklin, 3-0 Baylor vs Harpeth Hall

3-0 Franklin, 3-0 Baylor vs Father Ryan

6-2 Franklin, 1-1, 2-1 Baylor vs PJPII

Edited by 95GSoccer

With Franklin and Baylor's seasons finished, the latest National Rankings are out.

The NSCAA (National Soccer Coaches Assoc. of America) National Ranking has

Franklin #4, and Baylor # 14 (link).

The ESPN/Powerade National Ranking also has

Franklin #4, and has Baylor #3 (link).

If I had a vote, Bishop Kelly High School in Boise, Idaho, would be my #1. (please note sarcasm)

Being ranked nationally is both an honor and meaningless.

Edited by ChattanoogaCannon

If I had a vote, Bishop Kelly High School in Boise, Idaho, would be my #1. (please note sarcasm)

Being ranked nationally is both an honor and meaningless.

As a casual empiricist, I have observed that national rankings do seem to mean more to those who are ranked than to those who are not. But to say the rankings are "meaningless" seems a bit strong. What it "means" is that you have a near flawless record, you play top competition and that you have a handful of DI athletes on the team. Does the actual ranking mean a lot? Probably not. Are worthy teams omitted from the rankings? Absolutely.

As a casual empiricist, I have observed that national rankings do seem to mean more to those who are ranked than to those who are not. But to say the rankings are "meaningless" seems a bit strong. What it "means" is that you have a near flawless record, you play top competition and that you have a handful of DI athletes on the team. Does the actual ranking mean a lot? Probably not. Are worthy teams omitted from the rankings? Absolutely.

Well said. I think we have gone full circle. These are two very good teams. Which one is better? Hard or impossible to tell. Even playing a single game may not tell us as we know how soccer can be. I just think it would be a great game to watch, and then post about later as the outcome is discussed/argued.

I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps a better word than "meaningless" could have been used, which I tried to express by calling it an "honor" as well. I think it is terrific for Baylor and Franklin to be recognized.

For those that are interested, National Ranking Updated, 11/15/2011.

The ESPN/Powerade National Ranking has

Franklin #2, and has Baylor #3 (link).

The NSCAA (National Soccer Coaches Assoc. of America) National Ranking has

Franklin #3, and Baylor # 11 (link).

Other TN Teams Nationally Ranked:

#29 Farragut

#31 CAK

#33 Houston