7-AA Boys

Omniscience

...Maybe your team will get a chance at the Chatt teams if both 7AA and 6AA get to the Sectional...it's a long way off but it's possible...I wouldn't worry about the Nooga, AP poll, etc. Nothing matters but making it to the 'Boro!!!

I doubt anyone is concerned in the least about rankings, either in the state or locally. It's just something to talk about and use to compare teams. With McCallie, Ooltewah, Bradley, Tyner, etc in the area, 6th or 7th I think would be about right based on what the teams have done and who've they beaten, but I still think Seq can compete with most anyone locally. They did some good things even in a loss to McCallie at the start of the season and have gotten a lot better since then, working some new players in (both are returnees to the school system) with others already here.

Seq led 24-8 after a quarter and 44-17 at the half, never was close and as said, could have been much worse. Seq got 29 points from Cartwright, 25 in the first three quarters and 18 in the first half, also had 8 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 steals. Frederick had 16 points, 10 rebounds, all in the first three quarter. Also had 2 strong dunks that got the students especially even more excited. Holland scored 14 and ran the offense well much of the fourth. Others didn't score as much but played well in other parts of the game especially defensively in the first half.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense in that first half was the best I've seen in years in Sequatchie County. They looked like a team that could play with the Howards, Tyners, etc. Hopefully they can continue this year with that kind of intensity and carry that to region and hopefully a substate game. I would like to see Seq's fan base in the boro. I think as a community we have great fan support.

Edited by oldschoolhooper3

That is true about the fans, often they have as many or more than the host fans when they go on the road. The defense held Signal's main scorer to 5 points I believe. Tomorrow's game shouldn't be taken for granted as a win, it looks like Grundy plays a lot better at home and has an upset win over Notre Dame out there.

A problem Sequatchie has had this season is putting people away. But lately they have had that "killer" instinct that it takes to win games deep in the post season. They have absolutely beaten the past two teams down from the tip, in every aspect, which is what they will have to do to continue winning with tougher opponents in region and a possible substate game. It's obvious their leaders (Cartwright & Frederick) will be the "keys" but the other guys have really started to click and accept their roles. This is a really fun group to watch. Keep it up Coach Smith.

A problem Sequatchie has had this season is putting people away. But lately they have had that "killer" instinct that it takes to win games deep in the post season. They have absolutely beaten the past two teams down from the tip, in every aspect, which is what they will have to do to continue winning with tougher opponents in region and a possible substate game. It's obvious their leaders (Cartwright & Frederick) will be the "keys" but the other guys have really started to click and accept their roles. This is a really fun group to watch. Keep it up Coach Smith.

Really they have ever since Notre Dame gave them that scare earlier in the month. Since then CCS, Whitwell, Signal, and now Grundy, the game have been over at the half. Maybe that game work them up and showed them they arent untouchable.

Also East Ridge who was the last team to beat the Indians around Thanksgiving, beat Tyner tonight to take control of 6-AA. The other loss course came to McCallie who is arguably the best team in the state.

Edited by Omniscience

Really they have ever since Notre Dame gave them that scare earlier in the month. Since then CCS, Whitwell, Signal, and now Grundy, the game have been over at the half. Maybe that game work them up and showed them they arent untouchable

True. I don't think they believe they are untouchable. I really do not notice any over confidence in their play or attitudes when I watch. I believe they did realize what it will take to make a run this year. And also seen what they COULD be capable of. The way they've played the past couple of games I believe without a doubt they can compete with the Chattanooga area. I would love to see THIS team play McCallie again. Just to compare how far they've come. Not that Sequatchie would beat them now, but I think they would compete better than the matchup the first game of the year.

Edited by oldschoolhooper3

True. I don't think they believe they are untouchable. I really do not notice any over confidence in their play or attitudes when I watch. I believe they did realize what it will take to make a run this year. And also seen what they COULD be capable of. The way they've played the past couple of games I believe without a doubt they can compete with the Chattanooga area. I would love to see THIS team play McCallie again. Just to compare how far they've come. Not that Sequatchie would beat them now, but I think they would compete better than the matchup the first game of the year.

Daniel Cartwright led all scorers with 22 pts, 9 reb, 9 assists, Rodney Smith with 17 pts. and 7 rebs, Dakota Hudson with 13 and Trevor Holland with 10.

Also Notre Dame defeated CCS 35-24 last night.

Daniel Cartwright led all scorers with 22 pts, 9 reb, 9 assists, Rodney Smith with 17 pts. and 7 rebs, Dakota Hudson with 13 and Trevor Holland with 10.

Also Notre Dame defeated CCS 35-24 last night.

Cartwright got that near triple double in three quarters, a good accomplishment. Before anyone not seeing the game or the box score thinks it was running it up, the score was 68-27 after three quarters, Sequatchie scored 2 points in the fourth with reserves in and the clock going non-stop except on a couple of free throws. 44-15 at the half. Holland had 7 rebounds, a good number for a guard. Frederick had 3 blocks while sitting some due to fouls-one of those blocks was likely goaltending but was still very impressive on a lay-up attempt. It was funny, that totally set the coach off despite his team getting away with everything by that point, early second quarter and the margin already about 20. I think it got to around 45 in the third. Sequatchie allowed only one offensive rebound in the first half on around 20 missed FG by Grundy, also had only five turnovers in the first three quarters, a couple of more reasons for getting the big lead. JV also won, I think by 5.

Edited by Indian

True that was not their best game of the year but they got out of there with a win. Three-point shooting and lay-ups after steals helped Sequatchie keep it within a few points by halftime and they took the lead early in the third quarter. That was the second straight very poorly officiated game. I don't know if these referees feel a need to keep an underdog in the game but there's no call for it. CCS has good enough players without needing help and there were several very blatant things not called that could have made the difference in a close game, even down to an uncalled travel in the closing seconds. One of those refs seems out to get Sequatchie in both girls and boys games, game after game, year after year. That sounds silly I know but it has to be seen to be believed. In addition I think that's the most ever mouthing to a ref by a player I've ever seen, without getting a technical. This one player in particular got away with a ton and when he finally did get something called acted like someone had punched him.