CAK vs Austin East (AE)

FootballDad

Thanks 'CBNS' :flower: Your Roadrunners were very worthy opponents and didn't disappoint in regards to their athleticism and hard play. AE put some mighty fine athletes on the field last Friday and I can see why they made it to the semi-finals. The fake FG was pretty sneaky and well executed :thumb: Defensively AE is tough, fortunately our passing game limited #10's impact and despite nice man coverage by a couple of your DB's, accurate passes, precise route running & athletic receivers won most of those battles. Since this was our first time ever meeting with AE in football, I'm curious about your honest opinion on CAK. Did we earn some props or do you think we still have something to prove to you?

You made a comment about the speed, size, and athleticism of Austin-East. I didn't say anything sooner because I'd never seen CAK play in person, but CAK had more size than Austin-East... especially up front. Austin-East did have a 6'3" 225 lb man in Jarod Henderson at MLB, but the following is what Austin-East has played on the offensive line this year.

6'3" 215

5'10" 215

5'10" 200

6'0" 180

6'1" 235

6'3" 310

6'1" 345

Speed and athleticism yes, but not a lot of size up front.

...but you didn't ask for my thoughts on Austin-East.

CAK is a very good football team. The offense is great. The offensive scheme is good. High is an above average high school QB. He did a good job of throwing WRs open. The WRs were often covered, but High put it where he knew his WRs would go get it... and AE players were not going up to catch the high balls (pun intended). The CAK O-Line does not get enough recognition because they give the QB plenty of time for those crossing routes to develop. Defensively, CAK’s scheme is solid. All-in-all, CAK has a great offense and a solid defense; CAK is a very good football team.

Thanks for the nice post Columbia. Would have liked to have met you last Friday before the game. Your team was impressive. The offense looked pretty potent to me and the defense had a fantastic year as a whole. Definitely a lot of team speed. I was also really impressed with the way both teams conducted themselves on the field with no extra curricular activity even with a lot of pressure on both teams. Hope we get to see the Roadrunners next year.

Austin-East’s offense was pretty good this year. In the past couple of years, Austin-East has struggled throwing the ball and getting behind the chains offensively. That’s not a good combination. When you get behind the chains and can’t throw the ball, you punt. This year, Austin-East’s passing game improved, especially later in the season. They still got behind the chains too much, but they were able to overcome it some this year with an improved passing game. Defensively, Austin-East is always good.

You made a comment about the speed, size, and athleticism of Austin-East. I didn't say anything sooner because I'd never seen CAK play in person, but CAK had more size than Austin-East... especially up front. Austin-East did have a 6'3" 225 lb man in Jarod Henderson at MLB, but the following is what Austin-East has played on the offensive line this year.

6'3" 215

5'10" 215

5'10" 200

6'0" 180

6'1" 235

6'3" 310

6'1" 345

Speed and athleticism yes, but not a lot of size up front.

...but you didn't ask for my thoughts on Austin-East.

CAK is a very good football team. The offense is great. The offensive scheme is good. High is an above average high school QB. He did a good job of throwing WRs open. The WRs were often covered, but High put it where he knew his WRs would go get it... and AE players were not going up to catch the high balls (pun intended). The CAK O-Line does not get enough recognition because they give the QB plenty of time for those crossing routes to develop. Defensively, CAK’s scheme is solid. All-in-all, CAK has a great offense and a solid defense; CAK is a very good football team.

Very nice and well thought out analysis :thumb: CAK's O line was a question coming into the season, all 5 are new starters this year although our center played a great deal last year. Coach Mark Bradley & Jarvis Reado are as good as any high school offensive line coaches you will find. Both those guys have the pedigree when it comes to lineman and I would honestly say any kid that desires to play OL at the next level would be fortunate to be coached by these 2 men. Our OT's are both around 6'5" and 290 (soph. & jr.) and one of our guards is around 6'4, 260 and his dad played at UT and in the NFL. The other 2 lineman are small comparatively but they have great desire and technique and are effective. So yes, we have a very good O line or our QB wouldn't have nearly such gaudy stats. Describing our D now as solid I believe is a fair assessment. Early in the year you would not have thought so, but they have steadily improved. We couldn't score the points we do if our D couldn't get the ball back to the offense. AE really tested them with their speed and had us outmanned by formation early on, but the coaches switched some personnel around and it helped. Thanks again for your analysis and good luck to your Roadrunners next year. Playing teams like AE helps in the development of our young football program. I look for many more games with the Roadrunners in the future. We would love to have you in our district although you would challenge us greatly. Hope you will cheer for my Warriors this Friday, we need as much support as possible to beat a very good Milan team.

Edited by FootballDad