Tri-County Seven

coachh17

I will try this one more time. I got a look at most of our teams this week and here is where I think they stand:

1. Unicoi Co. AA (4-1)- This veteran team has gotten off to a solid 4-1 start with Morristown West being their only loss. Edwards makes this team go and they will advance as far as she takes them. I believe that Cloudland and Elizabethton will both be tough match-ups for Unicoi.

2. Cloudland A (4-1)- Have looked good, other than the 30 point loss to a great Science Hill team. The Lady Landers are led by Clarke, Rhodes, and Wilson. They are good inside and out and have several other quality role players. I believe they are a legitimate Single A title contender.

3. Elizabethton AA (2-4)- A tough early schedule has led to the 2-4 start. Losses are to 4 very good teams (Cloudland, North Greene, Greeneville, and Tennessee High) and three were very close. This team is replacing five starters and finding itself. Lots of upside as the season moves along. I think they will still make a good post-season run.

4. Hampton A (1-0)- Have only played once. I know the guards are experienced and good. Post play is a mystery. Coach Tolley has a work in progress, but he could sculpt a masterpiece.

5. Unaka A (2-2)- This team looks much improved. Both losses are to AAA South. Unaka can score a lot of points. The problem is that they also give up a ton of points. They are small and thin, preferring a finesse game. I do not think they can match-up with the power and strength of Cloudland and North Greene inside, but they are going to be a dangerous team and fun to watch. Feed those youngins!

6. Happy Valley AA (2-3)- Started fast, but have lost three in a row including a 94-36 loss to Science Hill on their home floor. Should be able to compete with most of the seven. Need to play well at Unaka Tuesday for confidence.

7. Johnson County- AA (0-5)- This team plays hard, but are still in major rebuilding mode. There still is not much offensive firepower available and the Lady Longhorns have trouble scoring. Passing, ballhandling, rebounding, and defense all look better. It will just take patience and time.

Edited by coachh17

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty good assessment coach. I would probably pur unaka ahead of hampton at this point judging on how they played in the tourney. As for cloudland, they need more offense from their seniors. Outside of clark, they have been inconsistent with their outside shots. This was a shaky tournament for cloudland. If they want to compete for a title, they better get used to the big stage. Go landers!

After seeing both teams play last week i am still not ready to turn the 3 river title over to Unicoi just yet. I see that they had some good wins this weekend but they looked less than impressive when i saw them play sullivan south. Elizabethton already looks to have improved since their HOC games. I may be willing to give Unicoi the edge on comparing starting grpups, but the depth and coaching edges go to Elizabethton. Should be some good matchups between the two teams this year. As for A i think cloudland is the clear leader. And i only see them getting better thtoughout the course of the season as they continue to get more and more comfortable playing together. Once hampton gets completely healthy they will be a force also. Unaka is scoring like crazy but so are their opponents. I see cloudland going through conference play undefeated but with a lot of close games between the landers, dawgs, and huskies. My opinion:

1. Cloudland

2. Elizabethton

3. Unicoi

4. Hampton

5. Happy Valley

6. Unaka

7. Johnson Countu

I think coachh has it about right, for now. I have never thought or stated that Unicoi will breeze through the three rivers this year. It will be a dogfight between them and Eliz with neither team going undefeated.

Round one is at Unicoi next week. The thing about the three rivers this year is that East and HV are both improved and on given nights could beat the top two if they are not at their best.

They are improving game by game just got to get better on closing out games and pretecting leads. I see Cloudland beating them by 35 at Sonny Smith and 23 to 30 @ Snavely. But I will make a wild prediction for their conference. If they shoot well I could see them upsetting North Greene at their place.