DII-A Season Wrap-up

thegood

So, now that the smoke is cleared and the fat lady has sang, what are some things that we look back on and say, "That was a turning point in the season for that team." or "That was a big win for this team."?

Also, its never to early to start looking forward to next season. What are some teams that you feel like are gonna be not as good next year, or some teams that are getting a really good group of seniors back? Are all coaches in our division staying where they are?

Questions - Comments - Concerns - Let's hear em!

I say ECS takes it all next year. Just my opinion.

I hope that you are not right about that but I guess every dog has his day.

I know that Harding is losing a few, the three tech # 25 is graduating, the big receiver #9 is gone and the QB is gone as well. They do have some cats that are coming back though. I know #8 is only a JR this year, he should be very good for them next season.

ECS will be good next year, but I don't think they will be what they have been in the past. Saying that they will win the State Championship is a stretch for them at this point. The word around Memphis is that their enrollment just isn't doing well. It will be interesting to see what pans out over there for Walters and the Eagles.

SG is losing a really good group of seniors. Of course, the Williams kid, and the the big tackle that committed to Alabama. If I am not mistaken there is only one maybe two coming back from the o line. They will struggle without #16 in the defensive backfield, he seemed to drive that defense. I also think there losing a couple of key pass rushers as well.

SBEC loses Kimberland and Greer. I think that really all you have to say about that group, it seemed at times that those two were the heartbeat of that football team. Coach Kimberland will have his hands full getting the Trojans back to the play-offs.

Does anyone know if the Blance kid will go back to Webb next year?

From East/Middle

DCA loses a very large senior class including starting QB,RB,TE at least 2 OL and their best WR. They are well coached so i dont expect them to be very down but they will def look like a different team in 2012.

FRA only had 5 seniors as far as i know and i dont really see any of them as major loses. Still play a tough schedule though out of the region so while they will be a better team, i dont see a huge jump in wins.

Davidson Academy also only loses 5 seniors. Their best player, RB Aubery Dixon is gone but they back up is very good. Depth will be an issue moreso this year then is has been in the past but as long as they stay healthy, they should be good. They also play a tough schedule out of the region so dont expect a huge jump in wins.

Webb loses Mr. Football Caleb Blance. I have no clue where his brother ended up or if he is coming back. I dont know a ton about Webb but i dont see any reason they are not a top team again. There is a couple of Webb posters on here that im sure can tell us more.

After those 4, there is a pretty good drop off to the next 4 teams. I dont know much about them but i wouldnt expect any major jumps from any of them. The biggest news from these 4 may be Riverside moving to 8 man. I dont know if it will happen but i do know they were very low on numbers this year and have only 70-80 kids in the high school.

SBEC had two really big wins that most of you would recognize. Back to back wins against ECS (24-21) in a game that not only did they win but truly played better than ECS, a team that is almost always more talented and just simply better, was a big boost to the season. Follow that with a 17-0 blanking of eventual state champ St. George's and it represents probably the best back to back wins in a good while for the Trojans.

Probably not so obvious to everyone else were two other back to back wins against Davidson, a down but historically strong program and excellent rival in recent years, and at Pillow Academy in Greenwood, MS. Pillow was down but had won their state championship in MAIS lower division of AAA. SBEC went down there and just put it on them and coasted to a big win. Those games brought some real belief and set the tone for the season. Football seasons are such a journey. It was a great trip this year for the Trojans.

No doubt, losing Kimberlin and Greer will hurt a lot. WR/K Austin Wilson, WR Joseph Sparkman, and lineman Brent Thornton will all be especially missed.

I won't be surprised if they throw it more next year. Back up QB is back and all the other WRs that played are back and a couple caught some passes 2 years ago when they threw it a lot more. The RB cupboard is bare. A couple of vrey good linemen come back but there will be some new faces there as well. It could be a very challenging year in 2012.

I won't be surprised if they throw it more next year. Back up QB is back and all the other WRs that played are back and a couple caught some passes 2 years ago when they threw it a lot more. The RB cupboard is bare. A couple of vrey good linemen come back but there will be some new faces there as well. It could be a very challenging year in 2012.

Be careful throwing more my friend. throwing more is overrated. In the last 10 years of tennessee state championship games (THATS A TOTAL OF ABOUT 80 GAMES) theres only one team that ran the ball less than 40% of their plays and won the championship game. That team was CAK this year and they ran the ball 38% of their plays. Just a tad under 40%.

Edited by warhawk