TSSAA Questions

Eaglehorn

*Can an incoming freshman play on the high school summer baseball team? For example, could a 2012-2013 high school freshman play on the high school summer team during the summer of 2012, the summer before he becomes a freshman?

*Do most teams take advantage of the open facility (January 1st) or are there some coaches who do not allow their players to swing the bats until Feb. because they cannot instruct them until then?

I believe that once a high school has its graduation ceremony, the school year is officially over. That would mean that an incoming freshman is technically a freshman the day after the graduation ceremony so they can play on the high school team. Tha tis how it is in football, incoming freshman may begin to practice with the high school team at that point.

*Can an incoming freshman play on the high school summer baseball team? For example, could a 2012-2013 high school freshman play on the high school summer team during the summer of 2012, the summer before he becomes a freshman?

*Do most teams take advantage of the open facility (January 1st) or are there some coaches who do not allow their players to swing the bats until Feb. because they cannot instruct them until then?

Yes to your first question and I would say most if not all use open facilities. They would be crazy not to.

Yes to your first question and I would say most if not all use open facilities. They would be crazy not to.

But would it be crazy not to? I mean if a coach cannot give instruction, they could have players take bad swing after bad swing and not be able to correct them. They can depend on upper classmen players to correct, but all players, even players with good swings, can't always notice holes in other swings.

TSSAA has no authority or regulation over summer baseball. If a HS coach chooses to allow incoming freshman to participate, he can do it.

Regarding the open facilities, I don't know of any coaches who do not allow access to open facilities after January 1.