Richland Raiders

RustyPorter

As alot of you may know coach Hughes is the baseball coach and the middle school football head coach and has been an assistant on the high school team.He's a good coach and very knowledgeable of the game.He is probably gonna be better than anyone they have had up there in a long time.From what i understand if he didnt take the coaching job they were going to do away with football all together.

Congrats to Troy. What he will hopefully do for Richlands sake is get some of the athletes out of the halls and on the field. But the only way to keep them on the field is have a successful program quickly. Takes year long work and the players have to buy into that or you are back where you started. I personally would have rather seen the program fold and the players co-oped at GC, but I am selfish that way. We have gotten a few Richland players in the past, just think if we were getting all of them. Revive Richland football has its hands full, Good Luck to you guys and Coach Hughes.

Off to a good start imo.

Posted on January 13, 2012

Former Giles County High School football standout Joseph Dunavant will do several weeks of practice teaching at Richland School beginning next month. Head football coach Troy Hughes wasted no time asking Coach Dunavant to work with student athletes in the off-season weight lifting program.

The Richland School football program received more good news last night as the Giles County Board of Education approved Dunavant as a volunteer coach.

Fourth District School Board member Don Story made the motion for approval of Dunavant and the vote of the Board was unanimous.

Dunavant has been a regular on defense and special teams for the U.T. Martin Sky Hawks for the past five season and is very knowledgeable of the game. He has spent five seasons playing college football in the defensive secondary.

Richland football coach Troy Hughes has already called on Coach Dunavant to aide the Richland football off-season program, in the weight room as well as with off-season conditioning.

• 2 weeks later...

So what can we expect from coach hughes? What kind of a system will he run? Is he a defensive or offensive guy? What has he done in the past?

Should have pretty good punt catching ability. Not that Richland will field many punts.

As alot of you may know coach Hughes is the baseball coach and the middle school football head coach and has been an assistant on the high school team.He's a good coach and very knowledgeable of the game.He is probably gonna be better than anyone they have had up there in a long time.From what i understand if he didnt take the coaching job they were going to do away with football all together.

Neither will/would happen. Best you guys can hope for is Ricky Taylor success. Unless he turns into Lou Holts, taking a tried and true baseball guy that never played a down of football, never studied the game except for Thursday nights but was just glad to be a part of it is never going to yield results. They will never shut down Football at Richland!

Glad to see you know so much about football an coaches in Giles Co. And before you go posting comments get your facts straight.As I recall Richlands football coach Troy Hughes played football his whole life but chose to play baseball after high school because that was his passion and he excelled at it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...