reclassification

ballbasher30

I was day dreaming this week and thought I would pose this question to everyone.

The 2012-2013 school year is the last in the current classicifaction period for the TSSAA. What do you think will happen when they come out with the new four year plan that will begin with the 2013-14 school year?

I personally would like to see girls soccer spilt into 3 classes like volleyball did on the last classification cycle. The TSSAA people said the reason it didn't happen for soccer the last time was the lack of enough small schools to form a Class A group. In the last four years there have been many schools who have offered girls soccer who previously did not offer it.

If you look at District 10 for example, they have 13 teams that fielded a team this year. District 12 fielded 10 teams this season, District 3 had 9 teams, District 4 had 12, District 9 had 9 teams, District 14 had 10 teams and. I also know some districts like the ones from the Memphis area do not have very many teams and just play a region tournament.

If they spilt into 3 classes, how do you all see it affecting the powerhouses like ND, CPA, CCS and CAK? Some would drop to class A and others would be in class AA. what do you think the competition at the state tournmanet would look like in a three class system?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was day dreaming this week and thought I would pose this question to everyone.

The 2012-2013 school year is the last in the current classicifaction period for the TSSAA. What do you think will happen when they come out with the new four year plan that will begin with the 2013-14 school year?

I personally would like to see girls soccer spilt into 3 classes like volleyball did on the last classification cycle. The TSSAA people said the reason it didn't happen for soccer the last time was the lack of enough small schools to form a Class A group. In the last four years there have been many schools who have offered girls soccer who previously did not offer it.

If you look at District 10 for example, they have 13 teams that fielded a team this year. District 12 fielded 10 teams this season, District 3 had 9 teams, District 4 had 12, District 9 had 9 teams, District 14 had 10 teams and. I also know some districts like the ones from the Memphis area do not have very many teams and just play a region tournament.

If they spilt into 3 classes, how do you all see it affecting the powerhouses like ND, CPA, CCS and CAK? Some would drop to class A and others would be in class AA. what do you think the competition at the state tournmanet would look like in a three class system?

Maybe we should just give all the players medals and crown them all state champions.

"Powerhouses" - seriously! This isnt Texas. Those schools would win fewer "banners" if they played in the private school division. Now they are too small and dont have to compete against the pocketbooks of Baylor, MUS, Ensworth, Brentwood, CBHS, etc. for a title. I am sure they will find plenty of competition with the "little" private schools. Let Greenville compete with the likes of Chucky-Doak, Big Sandy, Milan and Trezvant. Come on people! Time to "Man Up" and play in the right divisions.....

You do bring up an interestnig point. I have always been a huge fan of the idea of all prviate schools should be in one division regardless if they "offer" aid to players and all public schools in one division.

This would even things out a little since public schools cannot choose who attends their schools like private schools can.

You do bring up an interestnig point. I have always been a huge fan of the idea of all prviate schools should be in one division regardless if they "offer" aid to players and all public schools in one division.

This would even things out a little since public schools cannot choose who attends their schools like private schools can.

I don't think its that black and white. Greenville can choose and so can Alcoa. I'm sure there are others. What about charter schools like CSAS? Where would you put them? The point of the 1.8 multiplier is to even things out. The problem, if there is one, is the lack of small schools that play soccer and the lack of A/AA schools out west.

It can be plain black and white. If TSSAA would say if you charge tuition, you are in the private division, if you do not you are in the public division. The case with Greenvill and Alcoa is they are open enrolled, but you have to live in the county to pick the school. Most private schools have kids from all over the area and from outside their city or county. In the CSAS case with charter schools, use the same rule.

I always thought the 1.8 multiplier was the dumbest thing ever. I never understood how making a school's enrollment large by multipling it had anything to do with the fact that the school can go out and get anyone it wants to come to their school. If you took a public school and multipled its enrollment by 1.8 would it change who was enrolled in the school. No. All the multiplier did was allow private schools who choose their players to play against slightly bigger schools who cannot choose their players.

It can be plain black and white. If TSSAA would say if you charge tuition, you are in the private division, if you do not you are in the public division. The case with Greenvill and Alcoa is they are open enrolled, but you have to live in the county to pick the school. Most private schools have kids from all over the area and from outside their city or county. In the CSAS case with charter schools, use the same rule.

I always thought the 1.8 multiplier was the dumbest thing ever. I never understood how making a school's enrollment large by multipling it had anything to do with the fact that the school can go out and get anyone it wants to come to their school. If you took a public school and multipled its enrollment by 1.8 would it change who was enrolled in the school. No. All the multiplier did was allow private schools who choose their players to play against slightly bigger schools who cannot choose their players.

I'm not sure what Alcoa charges for tuition but Greeneville is $500, so I guess under your plan they would play in the private school division.

As far as recruiting players, I can only speak for Notre Dame soccer based on my experience, not every private A/AA school. The school doesn't choose their players. For what it is worth (not much), if I had my druthers, the school would move back to Division 2, but the school does not have the endowment that the likes of Baylor and GPS have to make that work.

I'm not sure what Alcoa charges for tuition but Greeneville is $500, so I guess under your plan they would play in the private school division.

As far as recruiting players, I can only speak for Notre Dame soccer based on my experience, not every private A/AA school. The school doesn't choose their players. For what it is worth (not much), if I had my druthers, the school would move back to Division 2, but the school does not have the endowment that the likes of Baylor and GPS have to make that work.

Not sure where you get your information, but if you look at the Greeneville City school website, there is no mention of tutition they charge. If you are talking about money they charge if you live out of the school system that is different than charging thousands of dollars for the right to go to that school. It also doesnt involved recruiting either.

I am trying to follow your logic here, but need some help. According to you, if Notre Dame doesn't charge as much for tuition or have families as rich as those of GPS or Baylor, they should get to play with public schools who they can outspend on players (I'm sorry, for students since they don't choose their soccer players). I don't see how that is fair to the public schools just like you say it would not be fair to Notre Dame if they cannot raise money like the other private schools.

I'm fine with private schools competing against private schools for a championship. The ironic fact is (and I am not meaning to sound glib) is that is what happens in the A/AA anyway for the most part. Statistically speaking, most of the teams that make the tournament final four are private schools.

The only issue with competing in only a private school division for regular season is travel. To travel 2.5 hours for a district game seems a bit ridiculous.

I believe the cut off for AAA is either 1000 students or a sudden growth of a certain percent. Not sure where that puts CAK. I know we are close to 400 in the high school which with the multiplier would be 720. I don't think there was a sudden increase of enrollment, so I think things will stay the same.

I agree with that most private schools make it to the A-AA state tournament. That was one of my points I was trying to make.

As far as the travel, there are plenty of teams already traveling 2+ hours for district games as it is now. In district 10, you have Waverly who must travel to play teams in Robertson County, in district 11 teams like Page and Summit have to go to Huntland and in dsitrict 12 teams like Fairview and Spring Hill have to go to Wayne Co and vice versa. The TSSAA says they groupd teams in districts to reduce travel, but there is always going to be teams who have to travel long distances to play.