Region 1-AAA

TommyMan37604

In my opinion, not much "shaping up" to it. Science Hill is clearly in the driver's seat & the best team. Mo East is looking like the 2nd best in Reg. 1-AAA but that may shake out different in Region Tourney. But mark it down the Lady Hilltoppers will be hosting a sub-state game!

You state the obvious and I agree. But, what could "possibly" happen is interesting speculation. East could possibly beat SH. They did last year and return most of their starters. East would have to play a strong zone and would have to hit a really high percentage of its shots, both of which they are capable of doing.SH would have to have an off night offensively and maybe have to sit a couple of starters with foul trouble. Another possibility is that East could lose in the district (not likely but possible) and then would have to face SH prior to the finals of the Region. Then whoever upset East in the district, would surely lose to SH eventually in the Region finals (if they make it that far). Then Sh would host the substate and Tennessee, or Sevier or Seymour or M'town West would travel for their substate game. Districts 3 and 4 are down this year so District 1 and 2 could move on. I, however, doubt that any East Tenn AAA team could advance to the second round of the state except for SH.

• 2 weeks later...

Well almost all the spots have been filled. Here is what we got:

District 1 will send Science Hill, Sullivan South, more than likely Tennessee High, and either Boone or DB.

District 2 will send Morristown East, Morristown West, Seymour, Sevier County.

What would look like some good matchups? I think all the games could be really close except for whoever plays SH. M East and Tennessee could be a really good game as could Seymour and S South. West and Tennessee could also be a good game. Sevier and Boone or DB would be close.

WOW...Seymour over Morr. West...Did not see that one coming. Sevier must have played well to be within one. Any analysis on the games??

West and Seymour split during the regular season, so the Seymour win was not especially surprising. West led by 13 to 3 at end of 1st quarter. Seymour then outscored West 19 to 1 by half time. Turnovers, Turnovers,Turnovers and more turnovers plus lots of missed lay-ups killed West. Seymour played a 3-2 zone that was effective with their size advantage. Plus their two inside defensive players did a great job keeping themselves between West's inside players and the basket. West continually forced passes into the heart of Seymour's defense and almost never exploited the baseline. Plus West's inside players continually tried to put the ball on the floor against double teams and just didn't look for inside-outside opportunities. Seemed as if West, at times, thought they were playing with a shot clock on offense...can't do that against a zone!! Also, in the other game West lost to Seymour this year, West actually led by more that 20 points in the first half. Seems that West completely loses its focus once they get the lead. It was a really really sloppy game on West's part.

On the good side for West, three players had pretty good games and hopefully they learned that protecting the ball is paramount in a close game. West started 4 sophs with its second leading scorer (also a soph) out for the season, so the future looks bright. Seymour also starts several young players including one freshman, so I'm sure these two will battle for district supremacy for the next couple of years.