Bayless to Retire

etownsparky

Whoever replaces coach won't be there for 60 yrs

Nor should they be! I will take some flack for saying this, but Bayless has out stayed his effectiveness. I can certainly appreciate his desire to coach, vast knowledge, experience, and overall achievement. However, in my opinion he really has done a disservice to the teams he coached over the past 10-15 years. He may say Happy Valley is going through a cycle (implying the talent is down), but there's more to it than that. I believe a younger, more invigorated coach could have taken the same talent poor and performed better. It's also worth noting that recent newspaper articles emphasize the number of wins he has and the record for the most games coached without providing details of the increasing number of losses. I don't know the actual stats, but I'm pretty sure he has a sub .500 record over the past 10-15 years as is evidenced by the fact that his overall number of losses is quickly approaching his number of wins. This may sound harsh to some, but I suppose I am just incapable of sugar-coating the truth at times. My two cents...what say others?

Edited by etownsparky

Sparky, I dont think it serves any purpose to put this on here now. The man is stepping down and is in the last years of his life. He has certainly done more positive than negative and I think we should honor his accomplishments and leave it at that

I agree King. Seems like sparky's comments, whether true or not, did not need to be posted.

Sparky, I dont think it serves any purpose to put this on here now. The man is stepping down and is in the last years of his life. He has certainly done more positive than negative and I think we should honor his accomplishments and leave it at that

My main purpose was to solicit poster's thoughts about who might succeed Bayless. I suppose the comment about his successor not staying 60 years just prompted me to express additional feelings on the subject (feelings that I'm sure many others share). My intention was not to merely disparage Coach Bayless. There's no doubt he is a remarkable man! But, remarkable people sometimes make poor decisions too. Even though I am absolutely confident I have spoken the truth, maybe I should have kept these particular thoughts to myself. :unsure:

Sparky, maybe What you said is true, but his Happy Valley team won the District Tournament in 2006 and made the Region Semi's. They upset #2 South Greene and #1 Unicoi County in the district. That's not been that long ago. They also were the team that ended Unicoi County's conference winning streak at 49 in 2007.

Sparky, maybe What you said is true, but his Happy Valley team won the District Tournament in 2006 and made the Region Semi's. They upset #2 South Greene and #1 Unicoi County in the district. That's not been that long ago. They also were the team that ended Unicoi County's conference winning streak at 49 in 2007.

Okay, I'm not a HV historian, but I stand by my comments. The body of work for the past 10-15 years is below average by almost anyone's standards. If it meets your standard for success, then that's fine. I'm only offering an opinion since I don't have a proverbial horse in the race.