WIN's High School Rankings

hoosierdad

Congratulations to the following Tennessee wrestlers rated in the Top 20 of WIN's High School Rankings:

126 pounds Zach Watson, Baylor

160 pounds Michael Hooker, Father Ryan

170 pounds McCoy Newberg, Independence

When was the last time Tennessee had 3 wrestlers rated in the top 20 of this magazine's rankings? This shows that Tennessee is moving in the right direction in wrestling and these young men should be commended for reaching such a ranking.

I do not see anybody pushing any of these great wrestlers in their respective state tournaments except for possibly Watson. Mr. Watson should face Tate Robinson of CBHS in the finals in DII at 126 pounds and hopefully should be another classic battle. Mr. Hooker should walk through the 160 pound weight class in DII. I do not see anybody given him a close match. Mr. Newberg should win another title at 170 pounds in the DI tournament.

Will Watson close out his career with 5 straight state championships? I only see one wrestler who could pose a problem and that would be Robinson from CBHS.

Will Hooker finish out his career with his 3rd state championship to go with 2 runner-up finishes? I do not see anybody at 160 pound weight class challenging him.

Will Newberg win his 2nd straight state championship for Independence and cement his legacy at his school?

Only time will tell and there will be many wrestlers given it their all to upset the apple cart.

Best of luck to these and all wrestlers at the state tournament next week.

Edited by hoosierdad

Mr. Hooker will easily take home his final state championship title, but I'll be very anxious to see the rematch of Watson vs. Robinson. Watson proved that he has the heart of a champion during their match at duals, but Robinson is not someone that is prone to losing twice to the same person. Robinson gassed hard in the 3rd period, but you can bet he'll have that fixed by the time the indy tournament gets here. It's going to be the best match of the tournament IMO, and something that I can't wait to see.

Mr. Hooker will easily take home his final state championship title, but I'll be very anxious to see the rematch of Watson vs. Robinson. Watson proved that he has the heart of a champion during their match at duals, but Robinson is not someone that is prone to losing twice to the same person. Robinson gassed hard in the 3rd period, but you can bet he'll have that fixed by the time the indy tournament gets here. It's going to be the best match of the tournament IMO, and something that I can't wait to see.

That was indeed a very good match between Zach and Robinson. However, I'd have to say that Zach will finish his HS Career without giving up a loss to a TN wrestler since the 8th grade and winning his 5th State Championship Title. But, I am looking forward to the rematch between two VERY good wrestlers!

I was told that Mike Hooker certified to go 145 but has wrestled up all season to help his team. The United States Naval Academy has found a true gem in Mike Hooker.

Gee where'd you hear that? But agreed, he is (in my opinion) the pound for pound best wrestler in the state. Can any other wrestler in the state claim to wrestle up constantly and still completely dominate every opponent? I know it is hypothetically, but does anyone else know of anyone who is p4p better than Hooker?