Region I AA

3rfan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info etown.

Shows you what I don't know. Based on the scoreboard it appears that Loudon and Stone Memorial beat Pigeon Forge and Fulton tonight in R2.

Also, both R1 games were very close tonight with Grainger surviving against Greeneville and CD slipping by South Greene. These performances may not bode well for the possibility of getting a R1 representative in the state tournament. I talked to someone that saw the games tonight and the most notable comment he made was that Grainger is not the #3 team in the state.

Shows you what I don't know. Based on the scoreboard it appears that Loudon and Stone Memorial beat Pigeon Forge and Fulton tonight in R2.

Also, both R1 games were very close tonight with Grainger surviving against Greeneville and CD slipping by South Greene. These performances may not bode well for the possibility of getting a R1 representative in the state tournament. I talked to someone that saw the games tonight and the most notable comment he made was that Grainger is not the #3 team in the state.

It is not often when an East TN team actually is 3rd in state (girls or boys) . They rank by record way too much rather than strength of schedule and record. Look at Elizabethon last year, ranked 1 and lost 1st round of state. In boys, I would bet 4-5 best teams in state are in Memphis, only 2 make state. In single A girls, only 1 team in district 2 even had a winning record...but 4 of those teams are in region and 2 in region go to state (or have a great shot at it).

Grainger is the best team in the region, however, and have a great shot at going to state. They just recently (about 2 games ago) got their best player back and she is not playing like she was before she had to sit (for about 3-4 games). They beat CD without her for district title. As for CD, with Karly Frye on the floor they have a chance versus most AA schools.

Edited by gcfball

And what makes his opinion so valuable. Has he seen every team in the state? I doubt it. What is his top ten?

And what makes his opinion so valuable. Has he seen every team in the state? I doubt it. What is his top ten?

His opinion is valuable because he knows basketball. No, I'm sure he hasn't seen every team in the state, but he's seen enough to know what he is talking about. I'm sure he meant no disrespect to Grainger. Congrats to the Lady Grizzlies for winning D2 and making the R1 final (which they will likely win). However, D2 is as weak overall as I've seen in many years. D1 was totally disappointing this year too. Good luck to Grainger, but I don't see them winning a gold ball this year, but that's why they play the games. We'll see how it goes...

It is not often when an East TN team actually is 3rd in state (girls or boys) . They rank by record way too much rather than strength of schedule and record. Look at Elizabethon last year, ranked 1 and lost 1st round of state. In boys, I would bet 4-5 best teams in state are in Memphis, only 2 make state. In single A girls, only 1 team in district 2 even had a winning record...but 4 of those teams are in region and 2 in region go to state (or have a great shot at it).

Grainger is the best team in the region, however, and have a great shot at going to state. They just recently (about 2 games ago) got their best player back and she is not playing like she was before she had to sit (for about 3-4 games). They beat CD without her for district title. As for CD, with Karly Frye on the floor they have a chance versus most AA schools.

I agree with most of your post. Your comment about Elizabethton last year is a little misleading. Although the Lady Cyclones lost in the first round and weren't No. 1, I'd say they were among the top 3 in the state. My reasoning is that in my opinion the 3 best AA teams were in the same side of the bracket. McMinn Central (who won) was clearly the best team. I thought Cannon and Elizabethton were the next best teams. The Cannon/EHS game went down to the wire. If Betsy had played Cannon 10 times, EHS would have won 5 or more times. Betsy shot less than 50% from the line during that game after shooting >80% for the season. Cannon gave McMinn the best game of the 3 opponents they faced in Murfreesboro in the semis. After watching the games, the team that won the EHS side of the bracket was going to win the state championship.

His opinion is valuable because he knows basketball. No, I'm sure he hasn't seen every team in the state, but he's seen enough to know what he is talking about. I'm sure he meant no disrespect to Grainger. Congrats to the Lady Grizzlies for winning D2 and making the R1 final (which they will likely win). However, D2 is as weak overall as I've seen in many years. D1 was totally disappointing this year too. Good luck to Grainger, but I don't see them winning a gold ball this year, but that's why they play the games. We'll see how it goes...

You can be a highly ranked team and not win the gold ball. Upperman and Fulton lost last night and they were ranked.

You can be a highly ranked team and not win the gold ball. Upperman and Fulton lost last night and they were ranked.

Believe me, I understand this principle very well. Again, that's why they play the games. My commentary is just opinion. Although I haven't seen all the teams play, one can get a general feel in most cases using history as a basis. There will always be outliers. Most of the time the AP top 10 includes the majority of the best teams in each classification, but the order is often skewed. I say "most" because there are always a handful of teams that get left off. I'd say this year is no different. Grainger probably deserves to be in the top 10, but closer to the bottom. It's only supposition at this point, but I don't believe Grainger could have made it through D5, D8, D10 or D13 undefeated. My guess is that Obion deserves to be at the top. That district always produces great teams (with multiple state champions in the past). Manassas and McMinn Central probably deserve to be ranked higher. Yes, Upperman and Knox Fulton got beat, but that sometimes happens. Macon Co, Grundy Co and Loudon all could argue they deserve to be on the list too. I don't know how good LA or Upperman are this year, but that district always produces great teams as well. I hope Grainger does well and represents East TN. I'm just providing an opinion based on what I have seen this year and in the past.

Edited by etownsparky

I agree with most of your post. Your comment about Elizabethton last year is a little misleading. Although the Lady Cyclones lost in the first round and weren't No. 1, I'd say they were among the top 3 in the state. My reasoning is that in my opinion the 3 best AA teams were in the same side of the bracket. McMinn Central (who won) was clearly the best team. I thought Cannon and Elizabethton were the next best teams. The Cannon/EHS game went down to the wire. If Betsy had played Cannon 10 times, EHS would have won 5 or more times. Betsy shot less than 50% from the line during that game after shooting >80% for the season. Cannon gave McMinn the best game of the 3 opponents they faced in Murfreesboro in the semis. After watching the games, the team that won the EHS side of the bracket was going to win the state championship.

I also agree with part of your post. I actually thought Elizabethon was ranked 1 for a good part of the season (until their loss to an average CAK team).

As far as Elizabethon beating Cannon 5+ times out of 10...how does anybody really know that?

The missed FT's are the fault of the players. I can see if some bad calls cost them the game, but obviously they were getting to the line.

I think you would also agree that it is easier to shoot 80% from the line during the season (especially when you are winning by double digits everytime you shoot them) than in a state tournament game when the score is close.

As far as your comments about Grainger, this is my OPINION: If it were a Tri-County team, especially Elizabethon, you would be bragging on a 31-2 team who has not lost since NOVEMBER!

Grainger may not win the state, but it seems so hard for you to give them any credit. They beat CD and SG in districts without their best player. Then SG beat your #1 on their home floor. They may or may not go to state, but I do know that 0 AA from D1 are going.

I also agree with part of your post. I actually thought Elizabethon was ranked 1 for a good part of the season (until their loss to an average CAK team).

As far as Elizabethon beating Cannon 5+ times out of 10...how does anybody really know that?

The missed FT's are the fault of the players. I can see if some bad calls cost them the game, but obviously they were getting to the line.

I think you would also agree that it is easier to shoot 80% from the line during the season (especially when you are winning by double digits everytime you shoot them) than in a state tournament game when the score is close.

As far as your comments about Grainger, this is my OPINION: If it were a Tri-County team, especially Elizabethon, you would be bragging on a 31-2 team who has not lost since NOVEMBER!

Grainger may not win the state, but it seems so hard for you to give them any credit. They beat CD and SG in districts without their best player. Then SG beat your #1 on their home floor. They may or may not go to state, but I do know that 0 AA from D1 are going.

RHS posted the following in reference to your post:

Couldn't have said it better myself gcfball. Etown likes him some upper east tn bball. not much credit given to anyone else though.

Here is my response to both:

Elizabethton was ranked #1 for part of the season last year. I still maintain they were one of the best 3 teams in AA. They did lose to CAK, but I consider CAK to be better than average (they were better than last year's Grainger team that I consider to be better than average). As for Besty beating Cannon 5+ times out of 10, that is an OPINION as well since we will never know. Using the law of averages, Betsy would have performed better at the line in some of those hypothetical 10 games. Cannon had a few weaknesses that could have been better exploited as well. Regardless, the dynamics of playing at the state tournament are certainly different than a regular game, but you act as though every game was a 40 point blow-out for Betsy last year. There were some very close competitive games.

I don't have a problem if Grainger fans brag about their team's accomplishments. Certainly they are to be commended for what they have done this year and should be very proud. I have given Grainger the credit they are due. Any time a team wins 30+ games in a season that is phenomonal and I hope they do well the remainder of the post-seasaon. But, they are not a state championship caliber team in my opinion. Do you not agree the BRAC was weaker overall this year than anytime in recent history? If not, that is for sure a fundamental difference in how we look at the situation. This is not just some idea that I conceived. I have heard lots of people with the same opinion. My comments about Grainger's chances for a state title have nothing to do with D1-AA. I've made it clear that in my opinion D1 was a huge disappointment this year. Nowhere in my posts have I said that any of the D1 teams were great this year. Absolutely, D2 swept D1 in the regionals, but all were close competitive games (except maybe SG vs. Unicoi). D1's 4th place team took Grainger down to the wire at Grainger. Additionally, Grainger barely got by probably the weakest Greeneville team that I have ever seen them have (I know, they beat Betsy, but that has nothing to do with my argument). All I'm saying is that based on the results from the district and regional games, Grainger is not heads and shoulders above the other teams. In order to compete for the gold ball, I think they would have to have handled the recent competition more handily. I'm not hating on Grainger, but rather just making a judgement. I have no allegiance to any teams in the other districts that I mentioned in my previous post. Again, this is just a judgement. Maybe the teams across the state are down as a whole. If so, maybe Grainger has a chance. I'd love to see anyone east of Knoxville win state. Regardless, good luck and I hope, at minimum, the Grainger girls make it to M'boro. That in itself would be an awesome and unforgettable experience for them. To win it would be monumental. We'll know pretty soon. If the Lady Grizzlies pull it off I will certainly post my congratulations and admit I was wrong. Peace...

etown,

You are the only one on here talking about winning it all. Just getting to the Boro is a great accomplishment. Once you get there then everything else is gravy. They have been ranked as high as 4th. That would indicate that three other teams have a better chance of winning the gold ball. Remind us all of the last time that Elizabethton won the gold ball.