AAU State - Some bumps, but overall great experience

smwwrest

Sorry, I got tired of looking at the title of the other post and thought this was more appropriate! Thanks to the AAU team--Don Barnett, leadership group, tournament organizers, tournament workers for doing their best to make this as positive an experience for the kids as possible. Yes, there are a number of lessons learned to carry forward to next year, but overall our kids walked out of there with a great experience and some big smiles. A few carrying those big plaques which were an outstanding award for the winners. Again to those that made this tournament run, your long hours, lack of sleep and overall efforts are very appreciated--we will be back again next year and hopefully, with even more wrestlers.

Medal Counts: (keep in mind Region 4 and 5 were combined last year)

State Champions:

Region 1= 9

Region 2= 6

Region 3= 20

Region 4= 14

Region 5= 14

State Placers:

Region 1= 57

Region 2= 32

Region 3= 92

Region 4= 74

Region 5= 44

Interesting analysis...not surprised that Region 3 is the winner in champions and medalists.

Interesting analysis...not surprised that Region 3 is the winner in champions and medalists.

I wish I would have made a category for GA teams, that would have removed a few from Region 3. Additionally if you combine Region 4 and 5 like it was last year and the old West Region won handily. Just my opinion but maybe Region 3 needs a realignment as well. It seemd like they are the larger Region now. Just a suggestion. Great Job to everyone involved Saturday though.

Edited by jcddmoon

Not sure what the final number of participants were at the State tournament. But, based on Regional participation, Region 3 had 330 wrestlers and Region 5 (the furthest west region) had 235.

Which means that Region 3 had a Champion per 16.5 wrestlers, and Region 5 had a Champion per 16.78 wrestlers. I'd say the best of the west are competing just fine with the beast from the east.

I wish I would have made a category for GA teams, that would have removed a few from Region 3. Additionally if you combine Region 4 and 5 like it was last year and the old West Region won handily. Just my opinion but maybe Region 3 needs a realignment as well. It seemd like they are the larger Region now. Just a suggestion. Great Job to everyone involved Saturday though.

lol, boo hoo. How many out of state guys were there in the whole tournament? maybe 12? Also, you want to combine Memphis and nashville the two largest cities in the state by a huge amount to compare to Chattanoogas 300,000? Ba ha ha. How about this. Go out and create some interest in your sport, create more teams, get more wrestlers out. If chattanooga can do it then surely you can since your population is 10X Chattanoogas. That would be like a high schooler coming home saying he got beat up by a 6th grader. Im am going to nominate Mr Moon as the cry baby of the year award winner. Look back through his posts. You might be the most negative person in the world. Did region 5 win handily last year? Nope I think not.

lol, boo hoo. How many out of state guys were there in the whole tournament? maybe 12? Also, you want to combine Memphis and nashville the two largest cities in the state by a huge amount to compare to Chattanoogas 300,000? Ba ha ha. How about this. Go out and create some interest in your sport, create more teams, get more wrestlers out. If chattanooga can do it then surely you can since your population is 10X Chattanoogas. That would be like a high schooler coming home saying he got beat up by a 6th grader. Im am going to nominate Mr Moon as the cry baby of the year award winner. Look back through his posts. You might be the most negative person in the world. Did region 5 win handily last year? Nope I think not.

Not sure any one really cares which region won. It's all about the kids

You're wanting to compare the size of the cities, and that's it? Well my friend your view point is quite skewed...size doesn't matter...just ask your wife. The location has a lot more to do with it.

Memphis, for example, borders Mississippi and Arkansas, which are not hot beds for wrestling to say the least. Up until 3 or 4 years ago, wrestling was not even a High School sanctioned sport in Ark., and I'm quite sure it's still not in MS. A far cry from the East side that borders wrestling states.

If you still don't believe me that location is more representative than population...why are almost all of the TN AAU tournaments east of Nashville? In the (6) years I've been involved in TN wrestling, do you know how many AAU tournaments have been in Memphis? One.

When Memphis was finally awarded a Regional tournament, it's my guess that many people didn't want to travel that far west, hence another region (5) was created. Which is hilarious, because Memphis has been traveling for years to the Cookeville area for the West Regional. Imagine for a moment if Chattanooga had to travel over 4 hours to attend a regional tournament. Do you think your participation in that regional would be as high? I highly doubt it.

Don't even get me started on demographics.

As you can see, size of the city has very little to do with it. Location is more the issue. With all of that said, I'm not here to burst your bubble, I'm just saying look out...the west is on the rise.

Not sure if Mr. Moon is crying or not, but I do know that His Clarksville Team had to travel over 4 and a half hours to compete in their Region tourny. So that sucks! lol

I also think that the middle TN participation at the regionals in Memphis this year was only about 100 out of the 235 competitors there so I dont think that alot of the old region 4 clubs kids traveled to their new region tourny this time around.

It does stink that Memphis does have to travel so much but I think that most of the kids down there really do not do much AAU wrestling in middle tn throughout the season anyway but most all did show up for the regionals down there this year.

The Memphis area kids are some great wrestlers with excellent coaches! I can say that for sure.

Edited by TNKO2

You're wanting to compare the size of the cities, and that's it? Well my friend your view point is quite skewed...size doesn't matter...just ask your wife. The location has a lot more to do with it.

Memphis, for example, borders Mississippi and Arkansas, which are not hot beds for wrestling to say the least. Up until 3 or 4 years ago, wrestling was not even a High School sanctioned sport in Ark., and I'm quite sure it's still not in MS. A far cry from the East side that borders wrestling states.

If you still don't believe me that location is more representative than population...why are almost all of the TN AAU tournaments east of Nashville? In the (6) years I've been involved in TN wrestling, do you know how many AAU tournaments have been in Memphis? One.

When Memphis was finally awarded a Regional tournament, it's my guess that many people didn't want to travel that far west, hence another region (5) was created. Which is hilarious, because Memphis has been traveling for years to the Cookeville area for the West Regional. Imagine for a moment if Chattanooga had to travel over 4 hours to attend a regional tournament. Do you think your participation in that regional would be as high? I highly doubt it.

Don't even get me started on demographics.

As you can see, size of the city has very little to do with it. Location is more the issue. With all of that said, I'm not here to burst your bubble, I'm just saying look out...the west is on the rise.

I wasnt really reffering to Memphis as much as Nashville. Cry baby said add regions 4 and 5 together and they would win more. My point was, you should win if you have 10 X the population. But in reality they wouldnt just like they didnt last year or the year before or the year before,. Because what cry baby is forgetting is that they got to put 6 people in the state this year with two regions as opposed to Chattanoogas 3. Oh.. forgetting that are we Einstein? . So in essence if Nashville and Memphis were together and you only had 3 kids instead of 6 you would probably win less like all the years in the past. Moon, you seriously need to stop posting. You are embarrassing anybody who even knows you. Population does matter tremendously when looking at a pool of potential wrestlers. Its common sense. If you have 1,000,000 people surely you have a better chance of finding wrestlers than a city of 300,000. I understand Ms and Ark doesnt have wrestling but Im not sure what that has to do with Memphis having a larger population base. Is Chattanooga strong because its next to ga? It has nothing to do with that what so ever. Thats even more reason memphis needs to grow their numbers so that they have more people to compete with and dont have to travel as much. I certainly feel their pain and understand where they are coming from. They are on the right track and will be a powerhouse very soon as some of their kids already are.

Hey Einstein. If you combined regions 4 and 5 you would have had 3 qualifiers instead of 6. Then you would have gotten beaten worse. So while you are adding the two regions together to come up with more medals dont forget that. You were together every year and you havent won more yet. you make me scratch my head sometimes and wonder how you survive each day.