Umpires make it difficult for powerhouse teams it seems

Softballghost

How would you like to make $55.00 a game? TSSAA umps do. I understand umps are human and make mistakes, but they should be correct <97% of the time. My suggestion is the UIC of each area give coaches a report card each game to fill out on umps. Over a season, the high and low scores given by coaches would form a mean. From that data then umps would need to pay and attend classes based on their ability to obtain the minimum quality performance rating. If you are above average, you do not need to attend classes, but below average and you pay to get better. As a former player, ump, and coach I know a quality ump makes for less problems in a game, thus, the need for a rating system and quality control. Then very poor umps would be dropped from assignments.

I agree 100%.

I do think that the umpires should be given a report card for the coaches, too. How well did they coach, were their kids able to lay down sacrifice bunts, did their kids make any errors, did any of their runners get thrown out on the bases, did any of their pitchers walk anyone, etc. The low scoring coaches should then have to attend coaching classes to learn how to coach better. With this rating system, you would be able to drop very poor coaches from their assignments as well.

Just an idea. Like I said, I agree 100%.

I have had daughters involved with softball since 1994 and have watched umpires all over the country, and the idea of bias is way overblown. The biggest problem is the parents trying to call balls and strikes from the stands. Sure umpires have some variation on their strike zone, sure some are weaker than others, but bias is highly unlikely. My daughters and their teammates were to adapt to the umpire, not whine about the strike zone.

As they do at all levels of play. Great post!

• Upvote 1

I have been to several tournaments and games this year and watched several umpires make it harder for teams like Riverdale, Beech, Goodpasture and a few other usually dominant teams. It seems the strike zone for these schools are smaller they have to pitch it right down the middle for a strike, forget about working corners, and when they are up to bat the strike zone expands. It is very biased. This is why you see the pitchers who should be dominating giving up hits to batters that should still be in rec league ball. Anyone can hit a ball down the middle. Its only hurting the teams who are getting the calls because when it gets closer to tournament time these biased umpires change the way of thinking. These teams still win because of thier dedication to excellence and will to win. You only make it more difficult for the teams who need to learn to hit against a good pitcher in the long run.

i think it's a good idea to have a tighter strike zone. a couple of years ago, they changed the pitching distance so that these girls could get ready for college. (hitters and pitchers). why not have the strike zone tighter. my daughter plays in college and the strike zone is extremely tight. i wish she would have had a tighter zone in high school. it was hard for her to pitch and make those adjustments. makes the pitcher work harder, which they should. have you ever seen the olympic girls, their strike zone is insane