heritage vs harpeth

sir36

I noticed the other day while checking scores on coacht that whitehouse heritage had beaten harpeth 8 to 7. Now it says the final score is harpeth 11 heritage 9. Does anyone know what happened?

The game was called due to fog. White House Heritage was leading 8-7 after 5, but Harpeth took the lead in the 6th. Harpeth was still batting when the game was called so not sure of the rule ,but if the game ends there Harpeth wins. If the inning has to be completed then White House Heritage wins.

The game was called due to fog. White House Heritage was leading 8-7 after 5, but Harpeth took the lead in the 6th. Harpeth was still batting when the game was called so not sure of the rule ,but if the game ends there Harpeth wins. If the inning has to be completed then White House Heritage wins.

If game is called before three outs then none of the inning counts and you have to go back to what the score was at the end of previous inning. So it sounds like to me that based on technicallity heritage was ahead the previous inning and should get the W.

Under NFHS Rules - Harpeth would win as they were the home team and 5 innings had been completed.

Rule 4-3, Article 3 states that "If weather or darkness interferes with play so that the games is called (ended) by the umpire, it's a regulation game:

a. If five full innings have been played, or if the home team has scored an equal or greater number of runs in four or four and a fraction turns at bat than the visiting team has scored in five turns at bat: or

b. if play has gone beyond five full innings.

If the game is called then the teams have not had an equal number of completed turns at bat, the score shall be the same as it was at the end of the last completed inning; except if the home team in its half of the incomplete inning, score a run (or runs) which equals or exceeds the opponent's score, the final score shall be as recorded when the game is called.

So, with that being said. Harpeth would get the win.

Under NFHS Rules - Harpeth would win as they were the home team and 5 innings had been completed.

Rule 4-3, Article 3 states that "If weather or darkness interferes with play so that the games is called (ended) by the umpire, it's a regulation game:

a. If five full innings have been played, or if the home team has scored an equal or greater number of runs in four or four and a fraction turns at bat than the visiting team has scored in five turns at bat: or

b. if play has gone beyond five full innings.

If the game is called then the teams have not had an equal number of completed turns at bat, the score shall be the same as it was at the end of the last completed inning; except if the home team in its half of the incomplete inning, score a run (or runs) which equals or exceeds the opponent's score, the final score shall be as recorded when the game is called.

So, with that being said. Harpeth would get the win.

Heritage would get the win because they were up after 5. If you check each teams schedule it now gives Heritage the win.

Heritage would get the win because they were up after 5. If you check each teams schedule it now gives Heritage the win.

Nope... Sorry! Read the entire RULING... Not just the part after the completion of the 5th inning. The reason why I bolded the section that I was referring to. It supersedes the previous statements because Harpeth was the HOME TEAM.

The ENTIRE rule applies, not just parts of it that satisfy what you WANT to happen.

The rules are clear and Harpeth would get the win because they were the HOME team and had the lead at the time after the 5th inning when the game was called for weather.

Nope... Sorry! Read the entire RULING... Not just the part after the completion of the 5th inning. The reason why I bolded the section that I was referring to. It supersedes the previous statements because Harpeth was the HOME TEAM.

The ENTIRE rule applies, not just parts of it that satisfy what you WANT to happen.

The rules are clear and Harpeth would get the win because they were the HOME team and had the lead at the time after the 5th inning when the game was called for weather.

I couldn't care less who wins the game and do not WANT anything to happen.

However, according to the schedule (for both teams I might add)it was @ Heritage. If that is accurate, which I assume it was because the schedules say @ Heritage and that is what I based my post on, then it would revert back to the last completed inning. Which had Heritage leading at the end of 5.

I don't just randomly post, I look things up before doing so. You are correct if Harpeth is the home team. But again the schedule says @ Heritage and that would give them the win.

Makes no difference to me either way.

Edited by takeahack

I couldn't care less who wins the game and do not WANT anything to happen.

However, according to the schedule (for both teams I might add)it was @ Heritage. If that is accurate, which I assume it was because the schedules say @ Heritage and that is what I based my post on, then it would revert back to the last completed inning. Which had Heritage leading at the end of 5.

I don't just randomly post, I look things up before doing so. You are correct if Harpeth is the home team. But again the schedule says @ Heritage and that would give them the win.

Makes no difference to me either way.

I understand... I was merely just listing the official ruling based on the information that was provided to me. I don't have a dog in the hunt either and was only offering the information based on the facts as presented.

Pretty crappy ruling if you ask me. I do understand how it was ruled, i just don't think that it was fair seeing that if the umpires would've called the game earlier, this wouldn't have been a problem. It's obvious that the umpires are at fault.

Edited by 10ABaseball

Not really. The game was postponed because of rain. They put the tarps on and waiting that out. Moisture and temperature caused the fog. You call it when it's too dangerous to play. Not before. I guess blue could have walked over to the dugouts and said 'this is the last inning' and Harpeth could have struck out on purpose to end it and................the result would be the same.

It's a non-district game and not a particularly distinguished scalp for either team to hang off their belt, not a rivalry game, seedings or state rankings are not at risk. In the end........who cares?