FINALLY!!! Overton at Hillsboro---Who do ya like?

KP9481

Here we go folks, the tilt much of the Midstate has been eagerly anticipating all season. The similarities in these two fine -4A teams is amazing. Both have scored and allowed nearly the same amount of points per game average this year. Both are senior-laden squads. Here's the breakdown:

Quarterback

Overton Senior Jacob Coleman has more experience at the helm as this is Doss' first year as a starter. Coleman can run the option well and makes decisions better, but Doss is a real run threat who showed (vs. Hillwood) he can pass the ball downfield for serious yardage.

--Edge: Overton

Offense

Hillsboro's squad has played these big games for three years now - making the 4A finals last year and the 4A semi's the year before. A Wing-T formation that has multiple threats at running back from 250# fullback Calvin Bryant to prolific tailback Marcellus Tibbs and a host of other very capable backs. Don't forget Terrance MaCaboy and Brandon Moorhead - the dynamic duo of Overton's backfield -- they @@@@ up the yards.

-Edge: Hillsboro

Defense

Both teams are stocked with two-way players at critical defensive positions. An injury either way could be telling for either team. These teams played to a 6-0 Hillsboro decision last year in a game that was decided at the line of scrimmage. Expect another low-scoring affair.

Edge: Even

Special teams

Clearly Hillsboro counts heavily on the strong leg of Senior kicker and punter Elliot Holt to get them out of jams and pin their opponnents deep. In eight games Holt has had only two returnable kickoffs and averages nearly 40 yards per punt. He also has a 45 yd. field goal to his credit this year.

Edge: Hillsboro

Coaching

Both teams have experienced prep head coaches in Ron Aydelott and Terry Anderson. They know each other well so no surprises there, but it has helped Overton that two of their assistant coaches came from Aydelott's squad from two years ago. This contributed to the effectiveness of Overton's defense in the 2001 game.

Intangibles

Overton has played steady hard-nosed football on a much improved season from a year ago. They make few mistakes and capitalize when they have to. Hillsboro has been known to committ numerous and senseless penalties and turn the ball over too frequently (see: Spring Hill game) opening the door for opponents. The question will be if Hillsboro can hang on the ball and limit costly penalties.

Edge: Overton

Final score: Hillsboro 10, Overton 7

This is a quick stab at a team by team breakdown. There is much more to add to make this thread more interesting. Whaddya think, Overton / Hillsboro fans?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that this is going to be one of those games that ya hate to see anyone lose. 2 great programs out of the midstate area that have a lot of great tradition behind them.

If I have to pick one. I guess I will go with Hillsboro and it's only because they are home team. I think that both teams are pretty evenly matched.

overton on paper..... but you play on fridays because u find out who wins. and i think that hillsboro win give it a great try but come up on the short end of the stick. overton by 10

Well, you got a pretty good base set up here. Let me add a little. The physical aspect of this game may be the breaking point for Hillsboro. As always this is a very critical part of Overton's football tradition. They are going to come off the ball and smack the opposition every play no matter what the score. After seeing both teams in action, the offensive side of the ball is more of a draw than a Hillsboro advantage. The offensive weapons overton possess is mind boggling. Speed: this will be the fun part of this game. Hillsboro has not matched up with anyone yet this season that has as much speed as they do. Well, Friday night, here it comes. Like all season so far, Im not going to predict a score. But, unlike everyone else, I see the score being a little more on the high side than the low side.

Posted by KP9481:

Here we go folks, the tilt much of the Midstate has been eagerly anticipating all season. The similarities in these two fine -4A teams is amazing. Both have scored and allowed nearly the same amount of points per game average this year. Both are senior-laden squads. Here's the breakdown:

Quarterback

Overton Senior Jacob Coleman has more experience at the helm as this is Doss' first year as a starter. Coleman can run the option well and makes decisions better, but Doss is a real run threat who showed (vs. Hillwood) he can pass the ball downfield for serious yardage.

--Edge: Overton

Offense

Hillsboro's squad has played these big games for three years now - making the 4A finals last year and the 4A semi's the year before. A Wing-T formation that has multiple threats at running back from 250# fullback Calvin Bryant to prolific tailback Marcellus Tibbs and a host of other very capable backs. Don't forget Terrance MaCaboy and Brandon Moorhead - the dynamic duo of Overton's backfield -- they @@@@ up the yards.

-Edge: Hillsboro

Defense

Both teams are stocked with two-way players at critical defensive positions. An injury either way could be telling for either team. These teams played to a 6-0 Hillsboro decision last year in a game that was decided at the line of scrimmage. Expect another low-scoring affair.

Special teams

Clearly Hillsboro counts heavily on the strong leg of Senior kicker and punter Elliot Holt to get them out of jams and pin their opponnents deep. In eight games Holt has had only two returnable kickoffs and averages nearly 40 yards per punt. He also has a 45 yd. field goal to his credit this year.

Edge: Hillsboro

Coaching

Both teams have experienced prep head coaches in Ron Aydelott and Terry Anderson. They know each other well so no surprises there, but it has helped Overton that two of their assistant coaches came from Aydelott's squad from two years ago. This contributed to the effectiveness of Overton's defense in the 2001 game.

Intangibles

Overton has played steady hard-nosed football on a much improved season from a year ago. They make few mistakes and capitalize when they have to. Hillsboro has been known to committ numerous and senseless penalties and turn the ball over too frequently (see: Spring Hill game) opening the door for opponents. The question will be if Hillsboro can hang on the ball and limit costly penalties.

Edge: Overton

Final score: Hillsboro 10, Overton 7

This is a quick stab at a team by team breakdown. There is much more to add to make this thread more interesting. Whaddya think, Overton / Hillsboro fans?

and call it EVEN. I was in error when I said Elliott Holt averages 40 yards a punt. Punters on both teams average about 33 yards per punt. It doesn't hurt that Overton has two very capable kickers (in case of injury) and Hillsboro really only has one, with an untested back-up.

One may ask what about the rest of special teams. Well kickoffs that reach the endzone (as many know) cannot be returned and automatically come out to the 20. I've also found that in most cases coaches on this level instruct their punt returners to simply call for a fair catch whenever they can, which assures a team of a safe possession and virtaully negates the effectiveness of coverage.

May the best team win.

Self promotion???

Posted by StanTrott:

Dude, self-promotion?

Posted by tnmat:

I would have a hard time giving Hillsboro the advantage on special teams. Overton's kicker has not missed a field goal in two seasons and has pinned his opponents inside the 20 countless times this season.

I thought you were the Overton kicker? Am I wrong? And it was a joke!

Posted by tnmat:

Self promotion???

Posted by StanTrott:

Dude, self-promotion?

Posted by tnmat:

I would have a hard time giving Hillsboro the advantage on special teams. Overton's kicker has not missed a field goal in two seasons and has pinned his opponents inside the 20 countless times this season.