Greeneville vs Franklin County Sept. 7

DevilMan03

You don't understand the rivalry to much. Still remember having to wear your helmet everywhere while the students threw batteries at you. Dropping a team a month before the season like Elizabethtown did in 07 was very unprofessional too. I don't have a problem calling someone out if it's true

Believe me, I understand the rivalry. I was at the regular season game and playoff game vs these teams when the Wittens played. Dropping a month before the season is extremely unprofessional, but doesn't mean our radio station should be unprofessional in return. Maybe Witten realizes his team can't compete with greeneville right now and wants to build his program back up first, who knows.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me, I understand the rivalry. I was at the regular season game and playoff game vs these teams when the Wittens played. Dropping a month before the season is extremely unprofessional, but doesn't mean our radio station should be unprofessional in return. Maybe Witten realizes his team can't compete with greeneville right now and wants to build his program back up first, who knows.

Imagine, GC that the new North Greene coach decided he wasn't going to schedule South Greene..This is a 50+ year rivalry.Witten obviously has something personal with Greeneville. I mean he kept Science Hill on the schedule and defeated Greeneville at their last meeting. It makes absolutely no sense not to renew the Greeneville contract. That game is money in the bank. He is just making them look like a big bunch of... well you know. It makes me wish TSSAA had put Greeneville in region 1 just to make them miserable.

Imagine, GC that the new North Greene coach decided he wasn't going to schedule South Greene..This is a 50+ year rivalry.Witten obviously has something personal with Greeneville. I mean he kept Science Hill on the schedule and defeated Greeneville at their last meeting. It makes absolutely no sense not to renew the Greeneville contract. That game is money in the bank. He is just making them look like a big bunch of... well you know. It makes me wish TSSAA had put Greeneville in region 1 just to make them miserable.

I agree with you completely! My comment was more towards what I thought was a very unprofessional statement by our local news station. It is one thing to be supportive of your team, but to call out 2 different coaches is not necessary.

Coach Witten obviously has something against greeneville, but I just try to see things from both sides and attempt not to judge someone who I know very little about.

So why would Greeneville, a 4A school want to schedule a home and home series against a 6A school from so far away? Because for the second time in the Shawn Witten Era, Elizabethton dropped Greeneville from the schedule. A heated rivalry that went back almost every year to the 1940′s came to an end when Coach Witten decided his Cyclones would benefit from playing Tuscola, N.C. rather than the Devils. A series that always provided a standing room only gate, was replaced by each school playing an opponent that both fan bases don’t know much about.

Not sure what that had to do with the rest of the article. Sounded like some cheap shots. Anyway I came in here to say congrats to Greeneville and hopefully they keep improving and bring E. TN another Gold Ball

Franklin County was the closest team that would play Greeneville. Sullivan South, Tennessee High, Jefferson County, and Elizabethton all dropped the Greene Devils. Bad decisions on the behalf of those schools. Greeneville travels very well, and brings a huge gate for the opposing team.

Franklin County was the closest team that would play Greeneville. Sullivan South, Tennessee High, Jefferson County, and Elizabethton all dropped the Greene Devils. Bad decisions on the behalf of those schools. Greeneville travels very well, and brings a huge gate for the opposing team.

Gate money is not the most important thing in high school football. How can you say "bad decision"? Do you know why they did?

Maryville travels well, maybe greeneville should pick them up. If they don't, it would be such a "bad decision"

Gate money is not the most important thing in high school football. How can you say "bad decision"? Do you know why they did?

Maryville travels well, maybe greeneville should pick them up. If they don't, it would be such a "bad decision"

I'm pretty sure both teams had a late cancellation in their schedule last year. I think Greeneville may be smart to schedule a tough out of state opponent... Maybe show off our facilities to some boys from North Carolina or Virginia. There are some purty good teams here in the upstate of South Carolina as well and all would be closer than Winchester.

Most of the greeneville fans' posts on here, don't have a point. Just jacking the jaws.

*** No offence intended towards the intelligent greeneville fans who actually have facts before posting and show class (without the pinky finger sticking out).

Might need to actually make a tally of Greeneville posters before you make a statemen like that GC."Most" is kind of a stretch. I take offense at the " most Greeneville fans have no class" attitude. I think there are a couple. Edited by barb