Chuckey-Doak at Cumberland Gap

Graff

The Black Knights travel to Cumberland Gap this week. Both teams are playing for the top spot in the conference, and the winner will more than likely have a leg up on the other 3A teams in the region come play-off time. Both the Black Knights and Panthers are 4-1 but have no common opponents for comparison. Looking at their schedules, Cumberland Gap has a loss to #2 Oneida (4-1) and Chuckey-Doak has a loss to Unicoi Co. (3-3). Oneidas only loss was to #1 Greenback (5-0) and Unicoi Co. has losses to Johnson Co. (3-2) Gatlinburg-Pittman (3-2) and #12 Hampton (4-1). Besides beating Chuckey-Doak, Unicoi Co. has two more wins against one win teams, South Greene and Happy Valley. Considering all this outside info it appears that the Panthers may have a slight edge in competition and suffered their loss to a better team.

As for the head to head. I don't think Chuckey-Doak has their normal punishing ground game and are probably not comfortable with being forced to throw the ball the majority of the night. Cumberland Gap has been seemingly well balanced this season on offense and are more than content with tossing it around if it comes down to a shootout, and have decent depth up front on defense. I think at the end of the night this translates into a W for the Panthers.

Cumberland Gap 34 - Chuckey-Doak 30

Edited by Graff

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen them play a few times. I can't for the life of me understand how "they are so hard to stop." Joke of an offense. Malone's been the only player they've had for the past 2 seasons. Great back. Tons of speed. But that's all they got. Not to mention their defense may actually be one of the worst defenses in the area as well. They've got people around here so fooled it's ridiculous. It doesn't hurt they play a joke of a schedule though. Gap by 20.

Seen them play a few times. I can't for the life of me understand how "they are so hard to stop." Joke of an offense. Malone's been the only player they've had for the past 2 seasons. Great back. Tons of speed. But that's all they got. Not to mention their defense may actually be one of the worst defenses in the area as well. They've got people around here so fooled it's ridiculous. It doesn't hurt they play a joke of a schedule though. Gap by 20.

I'll agree that Malone has been their best offensive weapon for the last two years. I'm with you on the "hard to stop" part too because prepared teams have been able to derail their attack. I do think that this is the best defense they've had over the last 3 years, even if it's not saying much. Alexander is a solid 3A middle linebacker in this area.

Gap by 20. Doak is the most overrated team in East Tennessee over the past 3 seasons.

Which times have you seen CD play?? Greeneville? That's the only time this offense has a hard time to move the ball for obvious reasons.Greeneville year in and year out has the Best D in the state.. But this season they are weaker at D but still are light years ahead everyone in the BRAC.. CD has played the same schedule for years now.. not just the past 3 let's try the past 7 or 8 seasons.. CD use to lose to Unaka and Cosby and teams like that before Murphy changed the offense to the flex bone and ever since than CD has gotten way way better and beaten those teams.. Maybe the new coach will change it up who knows but it's obviously hasn't hurt them playing in the BRAC these past 2 seasons and playoffs. I believe that CD team last year was the first greene county school to play in the 2nd round? Correct me if I'm wrong. CD was a first down away from getting to the 3rd round last year. Overrated? I think your just misguided.

CD might win they might lose this game coming up. But I'm super proud of this team. With all they lost last season Juice,Collins,and some other key players and they are 4-1.. After this game right here if they win should run the table and should only have 2 losses.. CD if Coe is back this week will help this offense out a lot.. He has been injured and been missing from this offense.. Cumberland Gap is a great team and hasn't really surprised me that much I thought they could be battling for 2nd spot in the BRAC.. This game should be great.. But to me Grainger is better than Gap and CD beat Grainger. So that's why i'm taking CD in this one in a nail bitter..

I don't think Grainger is the best measuring stick, they're 2-4. With their 2 wins coming over teams that Cumberland Gap has also beaten, West Greene and Union Co. Grainger hung a few more on West Greene than the Gap did, and the Gap hung a few more on Union Co. than Grainger did.

I'm just doing this for fun and to talk football, by no means are these predictions.

Let's just assume tha Greeneville goes 6-0 in the BRAC and South Greene goes 0-6.

CD has already beat Grainger and Claiborne but lose in the future to CG and WG.

Claiborne has already lost to CD but in the future loses to WG and beats CG and Grainger.

CG has already beat WG but in the future beats CD and loses to Claiborne and Grainger.

Grainger has already beat WG and lost to CD and in the future loses to Claiborne but beats CG.

And WG has lost to Grainger and CG but in the future beats Claiborne and CD.

That makes every team in between 3-3 in the conference. Not saying it will happen but it is possible. Someone with more intelligence than me break down this tie breaker?

These are just based off who beat who and combined records that I just looked up

13-8 Graingers Opponents that they Lost too Combined Records

5-18 Cumberland Gaps Opponents that they have beat Combined Records

Gap and CD both haven't played a good schedule so who knows..But Grainger on the other hand played a very hard schedule. So a lot to dissect before Friday night but one thing is that won't be hard to dissect is that this game will be amazing..

GO CD