BA-MUS Live Webcast

WesVLT

Twing - I really don't have a problem with what you say. We in West TN know that the rest of the state DII included has more quality teams, with better coaching and better talent generally than around here. We are a bit sensitive to comments like yours that sound condescending. Frankly, fans in East TN also feel the same way at times. I respect your opinion.

Thanks for the website tip. Don't know that many schools have replay on demand. That's really nice. I'm pretty sure MUS doesn't. I'm glad I had a chance to watch it again, because it proved your assertion about the 2 point conversion to be bogus. Indeed, the TV camera extremely oblique angle view from about 100 yards away (press box 50 yd line to opposite side end zone) shows that maybe the receiver had his helmet and shoulder-tips on the sideline. But his FEET were inside the line by the length of his body. I'm pretty sure that's what matters.

After watching the 100 yd KO return, I stick by what I have already said: with the same angle TV shot as the 2 pt conversion, it looked questionable, BUT there was a ref right there (as there was on the 2 pt conversion) to judge whether the ball broke the plane or not, so I give him the "benefit of the doubt." Moreover, your own TV crew also questioned the KO return but said nothing about the 2 point conversion.

I was the TV guy you heard questioning the kickoff return -- it certainly looked close, but I was on top of the press box and didn't have a great angle.

That's the same reason I didn't question the two-point conversion -- I was so far away, and the player was obscured from my vision by a BA defender. Those who had a closer view than me seemed to think he was touching the line when he made the catch, but I don't have an opinion.

It's all moot. MUS deserved to win. It was an amazing comeback, albeit very disappointing for the Eagles.

So what you are saying is the whole body can land out of bounds but if just the feet are in bounds, then it is a catch?

This is stupid. Look at the play and make up your own mind. The player didn't "land out of bounds." He fell down in bounds. Right in front of a ref. Then caught the ball. Some of his body may have been touching the sideline. That this somehow was an invalid catch is a real stretch. Come up with something better.

I watched MUS play two games in 08-09 and those were among the best I have seen in D2. I have been around Tn HS football since 1992. Along with a few of the MBA, BA and current EHS teams I would say MUS is right up there. This years team found a way to win with what they have. Ensworth will run, MUS will pass and they both are very good at what they do best. I do think BA over the years has had the best talent and I think this year they had the best athletes overall in D2 along with Ensworth but as you mention that does not always win every game. I am a BA fan and enjoyed watching the game. Heartbreaker for us in Brentwood but I was certainly impressed with the play of your quarterback. He was even better than advertised. There were close calls on both sides...thats football. Even if the outcome of the game would have been different if the calls were reversed we all would need to live with the outcome. Its not a perfect sport, never will be. Good luck to you guys in the championship game. I will be watching from home....

Neither taking you "out of context" nor "again." Just left out the "DII" I knew what you meant. I don't think you're slighting the team but rather some of the players when you characterize MUS generally as "2 studs plus an average supporting cast." How many games have you seen them play on which to arrive at that opinion anyway? It's ridiculous to have to name names, but here's a few - Prather, Walker (Shane & DJ), Wunderlich, Howell, Whitley. BTW, all have been named to All-Star teams. I've already mentioned Klawinsky.

Yes, they don't "run the ball well" but that's not to say Shane Walker is not a top-notch RB who has been hampered by a nagging ankle injury much of the season. Moreover, they're not going to force the running game when the passing game is so potent. Nonetheless, he still has excellent stats - why don't you go to the "Super Prep" site and peruse them. James Prather is the closest thing they have to a "dominant player on defense." He just came back from a 5 week hiatus for a shoulder injury. You will fully appreciate him next year. BTW, that "amazing for his size" player (Klawinski) also plays D and was the guy who blocked the BA punt Friday. Look up his "nondominant" stats too while you're at it.

Do they have the same level of talent as BA or EHS? NO they don't. Is their talent "average" (for DII) outside the QB & receiver? Perhaps. I don't see many of the 8 Middle/East teams play except mostly for internet/TV broadcasts. Do they have a chance against EHS? Slim to none. But if better talent/Div 1 signees/prospects translated into wins, then BA would have a separate trophy room to house all the gold balls and everybody else would be playing for silver every year. I guess Bobby Alston et al must be very very good.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

One last BIG question. How do you "fans" come up with "tapes" of the game to review and back up your assertions just 2 days after the game? And why would you be watching a replay of a game you lost and which ended your season? Just curious....

Next day tapes.....Same way you guys install a jumbotron. Money, cash, $$$$.

Guess you never had a kid play sports. If you did you would understand. So What does it matter if you win, lose, or tie. If your kid was playing you watch will it. It's a memory good, bad, first game or last game of the kids life. You love your kids and his teammates so you watch. What's the big deal?

Next day tapes.....Same way you guys install a jumbotron. Money, cash, $$$$.

Guess you never had a kid play sports. If you did you would understand. So What does it matter if you win, lose, or tie. If your kid was playing you watch will it. It's a memory good, bad, first game or last game of the kids life. You love your kids and his teammates so you watch. What's the big deal?

No big deal. I've heard posters before talk about watching "tapes" or "replays" right after a game and wondered how they did so. Now I know. As far as I know, the only way a fan can watch an MUS replay is by buying the DVD when it becomes available. I fully understand the "parent" thing. I just didn't envision Meritage as a parent. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

WesVLT - enjoyed listening to your broadcast. Nice to be able to associate a voice with the name I see so often on the web.

Are you a BA student? Alum? Parent? Hired gun? Did you play football? Where? What position? In other words, give me a little background as to how/why you are the BA broadcaster.

You said you were freezing on top of the MUS press box, yet you said the MUS students were on the opposite side of the field, and you referred often to what BA fans were saying. Is pretending at away games to be on the BA side of the field something you do regularly? If so, why?

You said that BA "spikes the ball from the shotgun" all the time. Really? I can't imagine BA having been in many "spiking" situations.. Not to mention it's also a penalty play....

Please do no read anything malicious into my post. I lived in Nashville for 12 years and have nothing but respect for BA's success and tradition. Would like to hear from you.

WesVLT - enjoyed listening to your broadcast. Nice to be able to associate a voice with the name I see so often on the web.

Are you a BA student? Alum? Parent? Hired gun? Did you play football? Where? What position? In other words, give me a little background as to how/why you are the BA broadcaster.

You said you were freezing on top of the MUS press box, yet you said the MUS students were on the opposite side of the field, and you referred often to what BA fans were saying. Is pretending at away games to be on the BA side of the field something you do regularly? If so, why?

You said that BA "spikes the ball from the shotgun" all the time. Really? I can't imagine BA having been in many "spiking" situations.. Not to mention it's also a penalty play....

Please do no read anything malicious into my post. I lived in Nashville for 12 years and have nothing but respect for BA's success and tradition. Would like to hear from you.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm a BA alum who spent four years as a sports reporter at WVLT-TV in Knoxville. I'm in my second year of Belmont's MBA program and broadcast several games this year as a favor to BA and a way to stay involved in broadcasting.

When I said the MUS students were on the "opposite side of the field," I meant that they were sitting on the 20-yard-line while the ball was inside the 10 on the other end. I wasn't pretending to be on the away side. My remarks about what BA fans were saying were speculative, not factual. I never referred to actual comments, only the likely mood of the fans who made the trip. I also referred a couple times to what BA's coaches were saying -- they were standing 30 feet away atop the press box.

MUS was a special place to watch a game. It was a top-notch experience, and I hope I have the chance to return and enjoy a different result!

Edited by WesVLT

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm a BA alum who spent four years as a sports reporter at WVLT-TV in Knoxville. I'm in my second year of Belmont's MBA program and broadcast several games this year as a favor to BA and a way to stay involved in broadcasting.

When I said the MUS students were on the "opposite side of the field," I meant that they were sitting on the 20-yard-line while the ball was inside the 10 on the other end. I wasn't pretending to be on the away side. My remarks about what BA fans were saying were speculative, not factual. I never referred to actual comments, only the likely mood of the fans who made the trip. I also referred a couple times to what BA's coaches were saying -- they were standing 30 feet away atop the press box.

MUS was a special place to watch a game. It was a top-notch experience, and I hope I have the chance to return and enjoy a different result!

I missed this game and am really eager to get to watch it. I felt, as did Meritage, that BA had played its best ball earlier this year and the defensive backs had been getting gashed which would mean real trouble at MUS. Most people felt that the bell would toll on BA and that made MUS spread go to 6 1/2 night before the game.

I missed this game and am really eager to get to watch it. I felt, as did Meritage, that BA had played its best ball earlier this year and the defensive backs had been getting gashed which would mean real trouble at MUS. Most people felt that the bell would toll on BA and that made MUS spread go to 6 1/2 night before the game.

Whenever you've got a chance to watch it, the link is below!

WesVLT - you didn't mention if you had a background playing sports. Do you call their BBall games also? I'm assuming you used the MUS video feed. I think it's pretty darn good quality.

FYI, at one point you were questioning what the MUS coaches were hollering at the officials about when they got a sideline warning. It was about their slowness in blowing plays dead. On the previous play, the MUS runner had been driven back over 5 yards from the point of "forward progress" before the whistle blew. The slow whistle obviously allows more time for fumbles, so obviously MUS was particularly sensitive to it. It also allows more opportunities for injury.

I don't think I have been to a game at BA this century. Got tired of driving up there only to see us lose every time, usually big. Only one year (1991) should we have won but blew it. It was the state quarterfinals and we were 12-0. BA was 10-1 with only an opening game loss at Paducah Tilghman. MUS had a 14-0 lead late in the 1st half and could have had a FG for a 17-0 lead. But the coaches got greedy, turned the ball over after 3 incomplete passes with about a minute to go, and BA went the length of the field for a TD to make it 14-7. Then they scored on the opening possession of the 2nd half to tie it 14-14, won 28-23 and went on to win the state title after clobbering Springfield and Powell. In the days, we rarely could get very far in the playoffs because we usually had to play BA no later than the quarterfinals.

I remember everybody having to sit on the same side of the stadium. I presume that has changed?

Edited by owlbooster

WesVLT - you didn't mention if you had a background playing sports. Do you call their BBall games also? I'm assuming you used the MUS video feed. I think it's pretty darn good quality.

FYI, at one point you were questioning what the MUS coaches were hollering at the officials about when they got a sideline warning. It was about their slowness in blowing plays dead. On the previous play, the MUS runner had been driven back over 5 yards from the point of "forward progress" before the whistle blew. The slow whistle obviously allows more time for fumbles, so obviously MUS was particularly sensitive to it. It also allows more opportunities for injury.

I don't think I have been to a game at BA this century. Got tired of driving up there only to see us lose every time, usually big. Only one year (1991) should we have won but blew it. It was the state quarterfinals and we were 12-0. BA was 10-1 with only an opening game loss at Paducah Tilghman. MUS had a 14-0 lead late in the 1st half and could have had a FG for a 17-0 lead. But the coaches got greedy, turned the ball over after 3 incomplete passes with about a minute to go, and BA went the length of the field for a TD to make it 14-7. Then they scored on the opening possession of the 2nd half to tie it 14-14, won 28-23 and went on to win the state title after clobbering Springfield and Powell. In the days, we rarely could get very far in the playoffs because we usually had to play BA no later than the quarterfinals.

I remember everybody having to sit on the same side of the stadium. I presume that has changed?

I ran cross country in high school, but that's it. I've been interested in sports broadcasting since early childhood and involved in it nonstop since early high school. At this point we aren't doing any BA basketball games.

We were using our own video. We have a great videographer/producer -- Randy Fox -- who travels to every game. He does a great job. I've heard very good things about the MUS production as well.

BA and MUS have a rich history, especially in the postseason. They've now played 13 times in the playoffs, with BA winning eight of those games. I was at the '91 Tilghman game -- a great one. Pretty sure that was the only BA game I attended that year.

BA's stadium is still a one-sider, as the creek on the other side prevents construction; however, there are plans to expand the stadium and install turf. If you haven't been in a while, you haven't seen our new fieldhouse. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll upload one to show you how it looks now.

Edited by WesVLT